The Horse Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ohhhhh! Can't wait to hear about the new possibility! Yeah the ponies get a little excited when not being ridden as much and it being colder... it's been a little bit since I've ridden my old guy, can't wait to get on him... lol

This is him. A riding friend said he looked kinda swayback, which may also be the angle. But it's no great fuss to go up and see him, if nothing else it's a lovely drive.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
I don’t see swayback. I am not all all up,to speed on how a Draft or Draft Cross should look physically.

What give me pause in the picture is the “well” in the horse’s top line, plus the fat pads everywhere.

I know Drafts have big necks but that looks like a metabolic neck.

The horse has a really sweet face and kind expression.

If you think you might get serious about the horse, take clear side view picsand try to get some clear pics of the hooves, top and bottom.

I have had two metabolic horses, somI am really gun shy when I see a horse with what looks to be too much of the wrong kind of fat. I hope I’m wrong, but it’s. Heads up at the very least:)

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Wow, you have a knack for finding lookers! What a face that guy has! He's too cute!

I am, however, with @walkinthewalk about his weight. It's the first thing that jumped out at me. My Pony has been called obese (I think he's just kind of fat) but this guy is way over that. And this is how he looks in the winter, when most horses lose weight!

If / when you go to see him, I'd ask what they are feeding him. Maybe they're just over-feeding him and if you cut down on it he'll be fine. I'd also have someone who knows what they are doing take a really good look at his feet, for signs of laminitis.

But wow he's beautiful. Really beautiful. :love:

Reactions: walkinthewalk

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Very good points about his weight/metabolic! I will take them into account. Hopefully it's just a too much food/not as much work situation.

These are the other two photos I have. She sent me some video where his feet are visible (dratted snow) but it's a bit grainy. I will take an up-close look at feet and feeding when I go tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Well —- I see the sway back now:(

It could just be who he is, and hopefully doesn’t continue to worsen.

Orrrrrr, it could be muscle loss due to Cushings which has or has not been diagnosed, and hopefully doesn’t get worse.

I‘ll bet he is o e of the sweetest horses to come down the pike which is why you cannot be swayed by emotion more than logic.

Agree to take someone experienced with you who can recognize founder issues in the hooves and hopefully has experience recognizing metabolic issues.

Look the person dead in the eye and hold their eyes to yours when you ask why they are selling the horse.

on this horse, I feel it would be prudent to include blood work to check iMuslim levels and ACTH. That’s two viles of blood and probably not at all cheap in your area.

Also, if you see Jasper or the other horses before you look at this guy, run your hand gently under Jasper’s throat and behind the cheek bones to feel for his glands. Jasper is healthy so you shouldn’t feel any enlargements. Do the same thing with this gray horse. Not feeling any enlargements still may not mean anything but i5 sure will mean metabolic issues if you feel enlarged glands.

Both my metabolic horses developed enlarged glands.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
All this could be avoided if I could figure out how to make Jasper live forever.

I mean, nearly all the horses I've met have had lovely personalities. I just haven't felt a spark with them. That could very well be true with him as well. The perch cross was lovely but couldn't do what I want to do. (Tho like, the lady selling him legitimately laughed at me when I asked about metabolic health so...) This guy may be the same. The owner's story is she is selling all her equines - this guy, a QH, and a mini - because of personal/financial issues (times are tough).

I am trying to take this all casually. It's not like medications or a car - I don't need to own a horse, it would simply be nice to have my own buddy who can't be borrowed for trail rides 4 days a week of summer. It would also be nice to have a buddy who doesn't think doing 10 minutes of patterns in the ring once a month is horrible torture. But I am not showing and I don't need a working horse, so que sera, sera as it is.

Hopefully, he is sweet, sound, and just a bit of a chub from overeating.

After all this here are some shots of Jasper.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Jasper is handsome -very - very - handsome:):)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

The face of a man who is categorically unimpressed. I brought him in and gave him a couple flakes of hay. He looked at the grain bucket in the stall, looked at me, poked the grain bucket, looked at me, then picked up the hay and dropped it into the other corner.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
As the old song goes --- "he's got personality!"

It doesn't hurt that Jasper is in my favorite color hue:)

You need to catch his owner in a weak moment, with cash in your pocket(y)(y)

Reactions: redbadger

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
As the old song goes --- "he's got personality!"

It doesn't hurt that Jasper is in my favorite color hue:)

You need to catch his owner in a weak moment, with cash in your pocket(y)(y)
At twenty-five (would you believe it?) he's earned a personality.

He really does look good in any kind of weather. Chestnut is the new black?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

He's chunky. So are his roommates. (The QH and the mini). They're all barefoot and need their feet done. The footing in the seller's yard is awful. He looks sound though - not stiff or off. He's sweet but hasn't been worked in months. I will say he settled into being ridden fairly quickly, for not having done much but poop and eat for 5 months. However, it took 15 minutes and two people to put a bridle on him (saddle he was fine) and he just ... I think he's more of a project (willing, but way out of practice) than I strictly want to take on.

·
Super Moderator
11,695 Posts
If the only thing is bridging that can be worked on. If you decided to consider then a metabolic panel beforehand I would be requesting. Diet can be changed and correct work can improve the topline.

He's got such a sweet face.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
It might surprise me if both horses (I can't speak for the mini) were both metabolic - the QH is also a chonk, as the young people say. They are in all in a very small pen eating and not working, so my gut (hah) sense is they're just both out of shape. To be honest, I just don't quite feel a spark with him. On the other hand, if the barn owner bought him, I'd be happy to have him around as a hack line horse. Fortunately, the lady selling him is not overly eager to sell him (or any of them), and has given me multiple assurances that should I want to come up again, bring a friend, take him out for a trail ride (in better weather), I am welcome to do so.

(she also said it's hard to get him to run under saddle. well, then, what's the fun of a horse who can't get his beans up and book it at 20mph down the trail? jk jk I could do with someone a notch slower than Jasper, but honestly I'm used to his liveliness now.)

No, I think I'm still looking.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Toby's gone. Not deceased: no, he's still fine that way. But, his dad moved him (and Louie, the gelding his wife owns) quite abruptly to some family property, much closer to where they live. I am perplexed and upset by his going, though I know he's safe and much loved. (also, I cried about something else on Sunday, which has used up my quota for the next couple months apparently). I am unclear if Jasper misses them in whatever way a horse misses other horses, in the sense he knows the situation has changed. He's been a little more pockety (that is, "in one's pocket") the last week or so, but that was before they left, too.

He is full of beans, as per usual, possibly espresso beans at this rate. He's particularly bad about it once we turn to go home, and I'm on my toes (not literally) trying to find a balance of letting him trot/canter when we can, and come down to a normal pace when needed. I've been working hard at keeping my elbows relaxed and springy, and riding on my pockets. We did ok today, though had to go into the spin cycle once, and took an extra loop. But it was such a nice day, and it's been dry, so it was a good day for running too. We encountered the train twice, which is unusual (it's a short-line freight railroad, with a few regular clients and typically a morning and afternoon trip). He isn't fond of the train, but he doesn't spook at it, though there's one spot where the grade passes within 20 feet of the trail and I think he's considered it there.

I'd like to take him up on the hill again, but there's no good way to get to the west side of the railroad tracks right now. The river is too deep and too cold, and the other option is to go up the gas line (pipeline corridor), which is steep on a good day. There are trails on the other side of the road from the barn, but I haven't been up there in a long time, and we haven't been up there by ourselves, either.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Horses do care and often react when herd members leave and it always changes the herd dynamics, sometimes the shuffle can llast awhile until thy figure out who now belongs where in the pecking order.

Some horses seem to struggle with their friends leaving more than others and will act out, similar to a child who has just learned its parents are getting a divorce.

You be careful riding near or on the train tracks. I was leary of them years ago when I was young. You want to really be aware of hobo encampments and lone transients trying to jump the train or hanging out in the woods.

I have always worn a No-Fear T-shirt but I take a few steps back when it comes to riding in close proximity to working railroad tracks — even when I carried a gun.

Use a saddle if you do go along the tracks, so you have better security to urge Jasper on, if you have to.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The stretch of trackage we pass by is fairly open, crosses by multiple walking/hiking trails, and passes by a number of backyards. I've not seen any transient activity so far, but I'll still keep an eye out. (I do know people hop freights from the yards up in Worcester.)

I always use a saddle on the trail. I am in no way adroit enough or brave enough to try hacking out alone bareback. :lol: plus, I'm not sure either of our bodies would appreciate it.

The herd is certainly smaller now, and Lou and Tobes were sort of the bosses by the end of their tenure. I do suspect he perceives the change and that two herdmates are gone. No one pushing him out of the run-in.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts