The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really could use a different perspective on an ongoing issue.
There is a couple in my town both are in there 70ties she used to give riding lessons so to speak.
Anyway they have 11 Horses they can't afford they are trying to sell some but most of there Horses are over 25.
Anyway she has one Appy a nasty attitude Horse he is big and knows it I found someone to take him for 200 less than she was asking but she wouldn't sell.
My area right now there are a lot of free horses better than that appy but she doesn't get it.
She was wining to me the other day how they cant afford the Horses and I lost it reminding her of the fact that I had someone to take her biggest problem Horse and biggest eater and she didn't sell.
I am done helping am I wrong she only has 4 Horses that could be still good for someone.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
It is hard to help people that don't want help or are too stubborn to give a little.

We have a friend that has 3 horses. He can afford them but he keeps looking at adds on Craigslist and looking at other horses. We have to remind him constantly that he can't save all the horses. It's just not feasible.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is hard to help people that don't want help or are too stubborn to give a little.

We have a friend that has 3 horses. He can afford them but he keeps looking at adds on Craigslist and looking at other horses. We have to remind him constantly that he can't save all the horses. It's just not feasible.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree it is hard I feel worse for the Horses they don't get a choice at all.:-x

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Just because they are on Craig's list doesn't mean there is something wrong. Both my mares were listed there & they are both great riding horse & I am very happy to have them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My daughter found her barrel horse on CL, she was only $200, was very thin, needed corrective shoeing and an attitude adjustment, and now she's a great horse. At this moment tho', she's throwing a hissy fit because her 2 pasture mates went off on a ride and she got left behind.
I would rather give a horse for free to someone who I knew would love it and care for it, than wait around for big $$$ that would never come. But, I would be VERY picky about who I just "gave" a horse to, anyone might take a free horse, not realizing the expense, care, and upkeep involved. My mare was given to me for free, and the man I got her from, had turned down numerous offers from people to take her, and he turned them all down, except for me. He said the minute he watched me with her, he knew he wanted me to take her. This is something to think about, I have known several people who would find starving, neglected horses, and approach the owners, saying, "Either let me take the horse, or I'm calling the authorities, it has always worked.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It doesn't matter if the couple is "going without", so long as the horses are CARED for it isn't really any of your business to fuss over getting these horses sold. Yeah, it sucks to be whined to but I do think you're over reacting a little but unless there are huge details of starving horses that you're leaving out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't matter if the couple is "going without", so long as the horses are CARED for it isn't really any of your business to fuss over getting these horses sold. Yeah, it sucks to be whined to but I do think you're over reacting a little but unless there are huge details of starving horses that you're leaving out.

Well I was asked to post the ads since they don't have a computer.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well I was asked to post the ads since they don't have a computer.
I would remind the lady that sometimes in order to WIN you have to LOSE. For instance, LOSE the vet bill, LOSE the feed bill, LOSE the farrier bill, etc. If they truly cannot afford the horses, for every horse she sells at under her asking price, ask her how long it will take her to save that amount on her horse bills? I figure it costs me right around $150/horse/month. So.....$300 less than asking price, I'll make it up by not spending that amount on that horse in 2 months.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Then post the ads for them with THEIR phone number as contact info, you don't have to be the middle man, just the 'tech expert'. Tell the owners that you are going to modify the information to include their phone numbers ONLY and if they ask why then tell them why, otherwise keep it nice and simple and clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.