The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some critique on my boys conformation and movement. Sorry these probably arent the most suitable pics, I tried to get him on the flattest ground I could find. He is only a yearling yet but maybe we can work out some expectations? His details are ( at time of photos ) 1 year, 3 months, about 15hh at withers. He is a percheron/thoroughbred, and Im hoping to so hunter over fences with him when hes older. His first year under saddle will be basics, 2nd year will be the harder stuff like leg yeilding and side passing. Third year we'kk start some small courses.

Just for fun!! Does anyone want to guess how much I paid for him? He is un reg obviously, uncut yearling.

*Sorry the pics aren't the best*

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just like to add he is reaaaallllyyyy butt high in the 2nd pic. and it looksliek hes leaning?? Sorry I didnt realize the pic was so bad. Just do your best and Ill try to get better confo shots of him soon. Also Ill repost some when hes 2 and evened out a bit. I think hes going to end up uphill built

·
Banned
752 Posts
I <3 hot vampires, haha that shirt is crackin me up. :)

He looks over at the knee, real straight shouldered, and his croup is too steep. He has a thick throatlatch (and neck) and his pasterns may be a bit weak. He looks kinda cow-hocked, and like the above post, I think he's gonna be uphill. But in a way that's good, cause it's better than downhill for your purpose for him. He needs more muscle in his rump, and he looks a bit skinny in some of the photos.

Cute boy, interesting cross :)
Are you going to geld him?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
He's a big boy already! Haha! Hope you get him gelded soon, because that's going to be alot of stallion to deal with.

I don't like his hoof\pastern angles...in some of the pics they really are kittywompus...like the farrier has mess up his feet really good...a good farrier can refix that, seeing as he is so young, it's just better to avoid it altogether, especially when they go through so many growth spurts.

He's got a decent shoulder, but he has a really short thick neck. He is slightly over at the knee on his front legs, and is a bit cowhocked in the rear. He is really downhill, but at his age, that's not too much of a concern at this point. He seems to have decent movement, and hopefully he will make a really nice all around type horse when he grows into his legs!

He's going to be one powerful horse, and will be really a nice looking one at that; he's just really gangly right now...I bet in another 6 months he will look entirely different, and hopefully more balanced!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definetly saw the thick throatlatch, and thick short neck thing right away ha ha. Also spotted the over at the knee. He is quite skinny in some pics because when I got him the only belly he had was fully of worms. I will post some pics. You'll also see why his feet look that way :( My farrier is correcting them. These pics are from July and I think a couple early August, I only got him in June but he does look a heck of a lot better now. Ill post the pics. Also Im hoping he makes 17hh ha ha

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what I mean, you'll see a big change from when I got him to now condition wise. Alot of wormer, feed, and farrier work has gone into him since I got him. Also some light exercise on the lunge line, but I dont want to over work him, hes only a baby.:) These are kind of in stages since Ive had him. I dont have any recent ones of him with his winter coat though :( You'll get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh thats the most recent, I wanted the to post on order but my boyfriend saw it and said I really only needed to post those 2 ha ha. He looks kind of ratty and gangly at the moment with his winter coat and butt highness.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think he is a good stout horse that should jump well and hold up for a long time. I'll bet you paid $500 or less for him. I say that because he had some hoof problems and he was thin. I would have bought him in a second. Also if you had paid 10 thousand dollars for him you wouldn't be asking us to guess. I'll bet you got a great deal on him.

I would also like to add that side passing and leg yielding ARE the basics and should be taught from the beginning of training.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kevins horses you are soooo close. $450. Plus 200 for shipping him to me. I didnt meet him beforeI bought him and Id never spendover 500 on a horse without seeing it in person ha ha. The only reason I might not get around to sidepassing and leg yeilding in his first year are because Ill be breaking himin mid July and if the weathers good and Im lucky to have th time Ill only be riding him until October, maybe November. I will also probably only be riding him 20 mins at a time. I know how sensitive young horses are

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Dump that farrier!! That horse has no heels, practically no foot at all. I'm not good at confo critique, but just had to comment on those hooves.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
His feet stand out to me, they look flared at the toe, even if they are small... I think he is cute.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About the farrier, again. When I got him his feet were horrid. None of these pictures are recent enough for you to see the correction my farrier is doing. In some of these pics it was before he was ever trimmed. He has some heel now, not much but some. These things take time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.