The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to hear the honest critique of our girl. I am open to hearing it all and won't argue/defend the points made because that kind of defeats the purpose of asking for the critique. I am one of those few who really wants to hear the truth, lol
These shots are from when we first got her (in fact were taken before we brought her home) but are pretty reflective of how she looks now too, well, she is up a few pounds now. I need to take some actual shots intended for this, but these are the best I can find for now.

Can't find any good front or back shots in what I have available here at work -- but do what you can with the side shots and we'll start with that. Like I said - I want to hear it all.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Overall, a nice horse. Maybe a little bit down hill but a decent shoulder and, even though some may want more weight, I like her build as it is - very fit.

Good luck with her.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think she's stunning and she looks really big and well proportioned. Only thing that looks even the slightest bit off is her neck looks a lil short to me. I'd be very proud to own a horse that like her :) Hope you will keep us posted on what you do with her!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
shes is a stunner tbh cant say much more than that, she is a little butt hight but that can be common in mares, beautiful :) you lucky

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The biggest issue is his shoulder, it's very straight up and down. His pasterns are really steep. And even though he is in shape he does still lack alot of muscling, esp in the hind end.

I think overall he is a nice horse.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
She's a little straight through the hock as well but overall a nice, nice horse.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
She is lovely, love her long legs. I have to disagree with her being down hill though, in one pic she looks it and in another picture she looks fine.

·
Banned
629 Posts
She's quite racy in her conformation, so as a riding horse this is something you'll have to fight against every single ride.

Downhill built
Long and shallow through the loin
Low neck set with a rough connection
High hock and stifle set
Straight behind

All those things make her a racehorse, not a riding horse. When I say riding, I'm talking riding with an ease to engage, sit down on the haunches, lift the withers, round etc... and get beyond the lower levels. You can ride a cow for all it matters at the lower levels.

On the plus side for her, she's got a very well structured front end, so even if she stays a bit heavy on it, she should stay sound on it. Her prominent wither carries back well adding strength to the back, which is weakened by that long loin. Her hip is adequate in length with a good ls joint placement.

I have no idea your plans for her, but if she's a brave sort, eventing would be a good way to go with her. You could even try endurance if she's not an excitable individual.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, everyone, for the honest input. Frankly, I had expected more faults to be pointed out -- not because I think that she is less than what has been stated, but because I am fully aware that no horse is as perfect as their human thinks they are, lol. I know that it is hard for me to look at our horses as objectively as someone from outside, and I knew I could get that here.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wow, she sure is pretty.
I think shelooks really athletic. Not sure how old she is or what your plans are but Eventing did come to mind for me as well.
Keep us posted on her.
She is a looker in my opinion.
HP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.