The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an OTTR she is going on 15 years old and she is in great health. She has had three pregnancies and three perfect births. She has no health problems and has good weight on her. Last week when I put her morning feed in her slow feeder box I notice a piece of tooth. It was flat and about 2 1/2 inches long. I know that colts shed caps but I never heard of a horse her age losing teeth. She has never shown mouth problems and her last float was good.( six months ago). She doesn't drop feed or "gap" when she eats. So my question is, is this normal or do I need to be concerned?

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Honestly, that is a question to ask your vet.

She needs her mouth examined to be sure there aren't any broken pieces jutting out of her gum line and to also be sure she doesn't have an infection brewing in the gums or lymph nodes.

Over a period of a couple years, My Arab lost two molars on his own and two more had to be pulled by the vet because they got infected.

He was in his early 20's when all that started so, again, you really need to have the vet examine her mouth.

A lot can happen in six months with some horses. I have another 20-something fella whose teeth were examined in September and the vet announced he would eventually need his back molars filed so I needed to watch him. By December (only three months) he had started to quid his hay really bad, so the vet came back out and lightly filed his back teeth.

An average size horses eats about 20 pounds of forage daily; both of these horses go out on 21 acres every day and come in at night.

Along with hay that is as "un-stemmy" as I can get my hands on, I feed both of them about 8 pounds of well soaked/mushed-up-like-wet-grass, hay cubes to make sure they are getting enough forage thru them.

That is more than you wanted to know but, if your horse is starting to lose teeth, be prepared for a little extra work for her care and have the vet look at her:)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Somewhere stuffed in a drawer or box I have a molar from my old standardbred. Found it lying on the ground. It was worn flat, thin and smooth. She never gave me any indication that something was bothering her. She was already missing a few molars when I got her. She never quidded up her hay. I did give her her grain as mush and did feed her a lot of beet pulp. My vet told me the teeth she did have were fine, just wasn't enough of them anymore.

My vet's wife tends to collect "poster child" horses so I did trust him when he said she didn't need attention. Said there was nothing to file, everything that was there was smooth.

I think because your horse isn't very old I'd have a vet or equine dentist take a look. My mare was in her 30's when she dropped her tooth.

I have the same thing going on with my 38 yr. pony now. She has never had her teeth done, doesn't quid hay. I've had her checked and I pretty much get told if it ain't broke don't fix it. I do realize I have a rarity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.