The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah..... so I was talking to the farrier that does most of my BO's horses hooves and I asked what he recommended to help prevent sand cracks. He told me he uses the cheapest olive oil he can find. Basically, when I have used up all the expensive dressing in my can, just fill it up with olive oil and use it a couple times a week. Has anyone else heard of this? Has this guy flipped his lid or is he onto a cheap solution that not only I can use on my Amigo, but on a few of my boarded horses too? Thoughts?:think:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... Main ingredients I noted were like linseed oil, pine tar, essence (I guess to mask the smell?), seems like oil with some tar to hold it on?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I'm with Speed Racer. Any vegetable oil will do. I'd rather olive oil go "down the hatch" than on the hoof.

Reactions: 2BigReds

·
Super Moderator
23,723 Posts
Hoof dressings don't improve hoof health, so it doesn't matter. Cracks come about due to mechanical stress - imbalanced, insufficient trimming - & can be diet/nutrition related. They often harbour 'seedy' bugs, whether or not infection was an instigator. So good trimming, to keep stress off the already compromised wall, along with treating any infection - resecting, keeping feet dry & clean as possible, opening the infection to the air - not sealing with oil which creates better environ for growing bugs! - and topical treatment to kill infection. And good diet/nutrition to grow healthier wall material.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm... Our farrier told me the sand cracks were from all the moisture we have here in NC (between the ground always being wet this time of year and the humidity in the air) and the sandy dirt we have. He said the best way to keep them from cracking was to clean and oil them every couple days. Is there a particular supplement I can feed him that will help with his hooves? They are not in bad shape, I just want them to stay nice. Thanks guys... keep the info coming!

·
Super Moderator
23,723 Posts
If you have a 'moist' environment, even more likely there are opportunistic bugs in the soil to infect hooves, and the hooves will be softer & more easily compromised. I strongly disagree with your farrier's comment. You'll just have to look into it more yourself to make up your mind. Here's one article on hoof goop; Hoof Dressings: What Studies Show | TheHorse.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.