The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ollie got seen by our chiropractor yesterday afternoon, to rule out anything that maybe causing him any pain or restriction while we work him and ask for more work.....

Last week we did a massage to see if we could find anything there...Shoulders very tight, fore arms very tight and neck a bit tighter then expected. we checked for ulcer indicators and his back for and sore spots from my saddle. His hind end was tight but not more then expected and worked on that.... overall not to bad.... concluded to his weight transfer being a front engine horse and his previous training taking a toll on his body... (we are working on changing him from front to hind engine driven horse) :wink:

So then we also had scheduled an appointment with the chiropractor the next week, being yesterday afternoon. He mentioned he was tight in some odd places...kept feeling and working on him and then found that his hips where rotated forward and down in a extended position.... so he could not sit and transfer weight like he should to correctly activate his hind end for cantering....
The sound of everything popping back into place was well :shock: LOUD....
in fact this smiley face is the same look Oliver gave when his hips and hind end popped into place :shock:!

My trainer from outside the stall heard it!!!

No wonder hi was tail swishing more, and couldn't canter without spazzing out! Poor guy!!

I knew, both my trainer and I knew something was up!
WOW!

So he said he should be just fine now, let him have that day off, expect him to think it will still hurt to canter and work on getting him to relax and let go and trust me slowly again when it comes to really using his hind end for trot and canter..... He said I should feel a big difference in his movement once he figures out his hips wont hurt him anymore!!

Now all I need to do is get his teeth floated and no excuses for naughty behavior other then a annoying evasion!

So happy I took the time and had more then one person work on him over time! Well worth the money and time off spent! Now we can get back to work!

I posted a picture....now imagine if what is in the circled area was STUCK down and forward in a extended position....this image really helped me see things clear!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Wow, poor guy....

If he has been out of adjustment for a long time he made need a follow up visit by the Chiro for another adjustment in 4-5 days....

I know when my back gets out of whack, many times just one adjustment does not always stay...

Hope the problem stays fixed with just one adjustment, they can be expensive :-(

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Good on you for getting everything checked and fixed for your boy!

Just a suggestion, like ST said, another adjustment in the near future to keep everything where it's meant to be, but also possible another massage/some type of muscle treatment. With his hips having been out probably for a while now, the muscles down there will now probably be tight again because they would have tried to adjust to the wrong position of the hips, now they have to readjust to the new and correct position, which could cause some discomfort, and it can also cause the hips to be pulled back into the wrong position, if the muscles were that used to being there. Definitely something I would recommend, and bring him back into work very slowly too, if the pops were that loud they must have been a large adjustment.

Not sure if that makes sense, I'm tired... But I have scoliosis, and everything overcompensates in my body for my spine being out of whack... So every time I get a chiro adjustment, it has to be pretty quickly followed by a muscle treatment, otherwise the muscles, having being trained the wrong way, will pull me back out of whack.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I don't think there's an exact science to this, but usually when we have the barn crew of horses done it's chiro and then massage after, as the chiro usually moves a bunch of things and causes some muscle soreness anyway.

I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the cause of his troubles. I'm sure he is very grateful to have you around to help him :)

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
Without an actual x ray you have no real idea where the bones were and where they are now.
In the UK that sort of work can only be legally carried out by a chiro under the authority and attention of the horses vet.
Those bones are held in place by incredibly powerful muscles - when we had that sort of extreme work done on a horse a muscle relaxant was also used to reduce risk of any damage to muscles or ligaments
Without follow up treatments and massage physio care the bones are at high risk of moving back to the original place until the new muscle has formed around them to hold them in the correct position

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.