The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if your foot is one inch below, above or anywhere inbetween of your horses knee you cannot ride him/her at PC!!!

i was outraged

·
Registered
956 Posts
seems reasonable though

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how is it reasonable?

they say that its a "safety hazard"

so i could go and ride a minuture and it would be fine by the rules because my foot is an inch lower than the bottom of the knee!!!

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I have NEVER heard of such a rule and I am involved in PC at club, zone and state level. It certainly isn't a rule in NSW and I doubt it is in VIC.

And you could not ride a miniature as there IS a rule that any horse under 12.3h must have a rider not exceeding 60kg (I think that is the weight).

Maybe you heard this from an ill-informed person.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am under 60kg

and its a rule at balnarring PC :D

·
Super Moderator
26,534 Posts
i'm thinking in order for your foot to be an inch above the horses knee it would have to be a pretty little pony.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Or, you have to be long legged. I think thats a little wierd, but we don't have anything like PC where I am, lol.

Who told you this in the first place?

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
1 dog,

If your horse is 15H and your 5'4", I would imagine you're a very good fit. There are lots of other variables in how a horse takes up a rider's leg, but general rules are that you should see a little bit of the horse's barrel below your stirrup and that your opposite heel should not be visible from the other side of the horse. What I was trying to get to with the elbow thing is that it your toe touchs the horses forearm at or below the elbow when you're riding, you're probably too big for the horse.

All of those rules assume a hunter seat stirrup length, not a dressage seat stirrup length.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
never heard of that rule but sounds reasonable i mean you could catch yourself and probably too heavy for the horse anyway. ive never ridden a pony that small for me (although i am a shorty). not even william fox pitt rides horses that small for him and hes like 7ft!
although i would love a mini, to ride as well as just show, but i would ride it too often or ride it at high profile shows.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
if that were a rule all around, William Fox-Pitt would be screwed on some of the horses he has ridden before. He rides some that are under 16hh. He looks pretty ridiculous on them. lol. But, he didn't compete them at a high level either.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I don't understand this at all. What about all the people of Iceland who ride the national horse there? Actually the only horse in the whole country!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
yeah it seems a bit weird to me. I think that the judgement should be made on the weight of the rider compared to the weight/hardiness of the horse. I mean, Icelandics are a very strong, hardy pony. Meaning, they can carry more weight even though they are shorter. So, the riders being tall really has no effect on them.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Rider height/horse height rules DO NOT work in PC - Because of Mounted Games. Mounted games is ridden on the smallest, fastest ponies available. Tall riders are regularly riding ponies 13h. The weight limit is to protect the horses welfare.

OP, I don't understand how your club could do MG if you have this rule. It must ONLY be a club by-law and NOT a rule made by your state or zone. I wonder why it was made - It would be very counter-productive and I have never heard the like of it in PC.

A height rule suh as the one mentioned above about the elbow - I'm sorry but they are ridiculous and not based on horse welfare. A horse doesn't care how tall you are or how goofy you look - It cares about how much you weigh. If that were a rule, MG wouldn't exist.

Here is a regular MG combination:

And the one on the far side:

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
wild_spot,

Please bear in mind that I'm talking about general guidelines for the hunter ring, based mostly on aesthetics *and* the ability to get your leg firmly and effectively on the horse.

Also, in our local PC in the US, the size/suitability rules were thrown out for Mounted Games. I know of several riders who held on to their outgrown ponies just for Mounted Games.

Even weight isn't an absolute - gaited horses and the WP type of Quarter Horse can carry more weight for their size because they don't move with the long frame or long stride of sport horses.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
This one clinician that comes from germany and teaches everybody at the barn is SUPER tall, he makes a 17 hand horse look like a 15.3 hand horse, imnot eve kidding its freakish! but him and any horse he rides look like a perfecgt pair, he is so balanced that it doesnt really bother the horse, i know, it wouldnt be good for him to ride a small hrose everyday, but he has ridden a 15 hand horse, and the hrose wasnt bothered at all. i think that is one of the weirdest rules! lol the point of my story was to show how even if a rider is tall, the hrose and rider can be perfectly balanced and in tune to eachother,

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Fair enough - I just don't believe in making rules based on aesthetics. If you won't place because you look too big - Fine. But I think it is discrimination to say you can't compete at all if you look too big.

Really? Actually I can see that - When I was over there there were some quite heavy riders on small ponies, more so than we would do here. How interesting. I wonder how that goes for international competition - I would think the rule would be used - I know it is for MGA (not PC) as we hosted worlds last year and I lent my pony.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.