The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out to catch hollie to give her her morning feed, and this is what i find...

Big kick to the jaw, can feel where her cheek is torn from hitting the teeth on the inside,

Accident prone you reckon???

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i reckon, scary stuff or what... lol

but she doesnt mind me craming my hand up in there, so cant be too sore...

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
LOL! How long have you had her---for almost two months it was almost a daily thing to go out and bring Ice in and oh look, there's something else wrong with him! He would injure himself in his stall, on the fence, get injured by other horses, injure other horses....he even stabbed himself in the nostril with a stick.

He taught me more about first aid in our first three months of being together than I had learned previously in my five years of riding--and that was at a for-hire trail riding barn with 20+horses, most of whom were rescues carrying around novice riders and/or small children.

Luckily though, mouths usually heal pretty fast without much interference from people. Just watch it and make sure it doesn't get more swollen or start oozing puss or something like that....and maybe wet her hay so the stalks don't stab her?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. have had her half a year now, but have been riding her for about year and a half,

She has ALWAYS had something worng, we got about two months of serious riding done, because we werent injured and then he got in the fence!

she can be such a rat and so marey, but i love her so i guess ill cope :D :D

lol

yeah, because i work at a riding school, i am down there everyday all day, so i just called her every few hours to check it :D

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Oh my!!! Poor girl!!!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Ouch! Glad it didn't get the eyes!

Your not alone though, I don't even bother with all of Ben's cuts, bites, and scrapes. If he doesn't have a new one everytime I visit him it's suprising. Two months ago, he got a few weeks off because he was lame in BOTH front legs from two, totally unrelated issues, lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
My sisters horse is accident prone. He is ALWAYS getting hurt!!! I've actually watched him walk up to a barb wire fence and stick his foot through and pull back!!! I don't understand him at all. He's unridable more often than he's ridable!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
wow. I know what you mean. I had a horse that decided to scratch his face on a tree. He cut his eye ball. He ended up with a foggy eye. He and a mare my mom used to have both got kicked in the jaw at different times. His just went down, hers popped and bled. The vet said that was normal for some horses.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My thoroughbred mare was seriously accident prone too. In the first month or so of owning her she managed to puncture her hind leg to the bone, and got a huge infection, fortunately the bone didn't get infected, then she punctured her 3 other legs once each on different dates, then she punctured a hole in her hip trying to get away from her neighbor while walking into her stall, and her last big injury before I sold her was her torn superficial flexor tendon, which occured right after she healed from a pulled tendon in her knee. Plus a couple pulled shoes, with scrapes on her heel bulbs, and many other minor scrapes and cuts. I owned her for 3 years, and it was always something when I went out to see her. Finally got to the point where my vet would tell me what to do over the phone, and only come out if whatever it was wasn't healing a week later. I got real good at making pressure wraps on the legs, and hiding bute in food lol. She was an awesome horse, but we had to spend a small fortune in vet and chiropractic bills while we owned her. Hopefully your horse's jaw heals just fine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how expensive love can be.

glad to say, hollie has been accident free for a week now :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Owwww! Looks so sore! Poor thing.
Know what you mean about accident prone horses. My instructor's dressage mount decides almost every second day that she doesn't have ENOUGH scars and then crashes through a barbed wire fence (from the neighbouring properties) or gets in a fight with her bad tempered brood mare! Hope everything goes well!

·
Registered
201 Posts
My mare just headbuts trees... She gets antsy and doesn't want to listen to me and instead go her own way and runs into trees instead of going around them... She's done that to me two or three times now...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts