The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That they only think 2 things everyday. "What shall I eat?" and "How shall I try to kill myself?" or as my trainer once put it, "You can wrap them up in cotton batting, put them in a padded stall to keep them from hurting themselves and they will eat the batting and padding and colic and die.". Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh...............

Snow White has done something, God only knows what, to her eye and it looks infected. Vet will be out later to see her and figure out what we're gonna do......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh man do I feel you. I had my big grade goofy TB gelding for 3 yrs with minimal incidents like maybe 4 noteworthy ones, still nothing major.

Now my AQHA filly on the other hand...... well I've had her less than a year and spent more time playing doctor and " Where the heck did that come from?!?" then enjoying my growing 2 yr old -_-.

Hope the eye is something simple and just looks yuckier than it is!

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
Hope it something minor, as was Indy's. First time I had a vet bill for anything under $100, and this was a farm call. Just a tube of some ointment, came to $79, including the farm call fee and the ointment. I think the horse just poked himself in the eye with a piece of hay, healed up in less than 2 weeks.

Reactions: Celeste

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Yep, always something. I hope that it turns out ok for her.

I went out to the farm to feed everyone one evening because the B/O's were gone for a week. When I went out to feed another boarders gelding and was looking him over, I discovered his eyelid hanging by a thread. Oh geeze, time to call the vet again. Vet came out, sewed it back on and he recovered just fine.

Seems to me that horses just like to keep the vets busy.

·
Banned
742 Posts
I just now finished hauling three truckloads of old T posts, wire fencing and barbed wire to the dumpster site we have. Now I'm working with chainsaw cutting limbs, etc.
It's amazing how many hazards are out there.
So far so good though very minor injuries. Maybe it's just the horse. The neighbor's mare is always getting injured, worse was she ran into a power pole support cable when a loud Harley went down the road, splitting her face open. There's a scar, otherwise and thankfully she's okay.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, as is normal with Snow White, it's not simple. We pulled blood to do a CBC to check for infection and we're going to test for Leptospirosis. The lepto is a reach, the horse is not out on pasture, kept in a show barn and turned out for play in a large round pen and supervised. Nobody else in the show barn is sick, not even marginally. We did the Fluoroscein Stain to check for Corneal Abrasion, it was negative. So, at this point we're suspecting uveitis, but don't know if it's going to have a genetic origin or is the result of an infection of some kind. Lepto is a frequent culprit for non-genetic uveitis. So! We're awaiting results and a 2nd opinion ophthalmology consult.

In the meantime, she'll be getting prednisolone eyedrops and oral Banamine for the next week to see what happens while we wait for test results and a more thorough eye exam.

***BTW, she's barely a yearling in these pics. She's now a 2 year old and is over 15 hands and is in show condition, so BEEFY, not butt high at all.***

Attachments

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
DA, I was really hoping it was something simple like Indy's, and nice and easy on the pocketbook too. Now I'll be hoping it's not genetic, but as you can tell, I don't have much power in that department.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DA, I was really hoping it was something simple like Indy's, and nice and easy on the pocketbook too. Now I'll be hoping it's not genetic, but as you can tell, I don't have much power in that department.
Me neither, Waresbear, me neither. It will be what it will be. We're going to do what we have to do to make her comfortable and work her through whatever it is.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gob Smacked Continued

Aaaaaaaaaaand, remember how I said Leptospirosis was a reach because of her training and stabling? Wellllll, it's got a long arm. She has Lepto and we'll be treating her with a compounded antibiotic treatment. MORE Cha Ching! $$$$$$$$$$$$ I'll get the bad news on that tomorrow.

Oh, and for those who might wonder why I'm using Benchmark Animal Hospital & Lisa Mauzerall, DVM to treat her instead of OSU, OSU has only been seeing true emergency cases (since Covid) and since we initially thought it was an eye infection, maybe a corneal abrasion, that really didn't qualify. So Lisa, whom I've known since she was a freshman at OSU, is treating her and of course used the OSU lab, which is also the OK State lab. I could go on and on about how great Lisa is, but of course she is, she went to OSU.

I hope the lab report is legible, it's got some good info on there. I included it because until real recently, I really never heard of horse's having Lepto. I had never seen a lab report for one, especially not a positive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,042 Posts
Well, darn.

When I worked for a vet in the southeast US, we did occasionally see horses with lepto. They recovered.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, darn.

When I worked for a vet in the southeast US, we did occasionally see horses with lepto. They recovered.
As long as there's no liver or kidney damage, she should recover fine. We'll be pulling those labs tomorrow too. OI! She doesn't seem to feel bad at all which really kind of surprises me. Hopefully we caught it early enough to not have any lingering effects.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HAY MODS, can someone fix that horse's and make it just plural? Didn't catch it on my proof read. That kind of stuff makes me crazy.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
You do a fantastic job staying on top of your horses (plural) health.

Here’s hoping you caught this soon enough so as to not have any residual affects - especially in the eyes, of such a beautiful young lady.

Misery loves company - Your vet bills were more than mine last week, lollol

It’s not funny, but there might as well be a chuckle somewhere in all of the drama and checkbook draining——-:):)

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
I think she would be a perfect horse for that tattoo mascara around the eye.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You do a fantastic job staying on top of your horses (plural) health.

Here’s hoping you caught this soon enough so as to not have any residual affects - especially in the eyes, of such a beautiful young lady.

Misery loves company - Your vet bills were more than mine last week, lollol

It’s not funny, but there might as well be a chuckle somewhere in all of the drama and checkbook draining——-:):)
I try but, dang, these things can drive you to drinkin'. I'm praying we caught it right after the 3 week incubation period. The labs will tell. This stuff is really insidious.

Of course, the COW vaccine is $25 for a 10 ml vial. The HORSE vaccine, and Zoetis is the only one making it, is $221 for the same size vial. Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do, so we'll be buying some.

I JUST boostered rabies for everyone since the next county over has rabid bats. Rabies vaccine has gone up from $12 for a 10 ml vial to $30 and it takes 2 to do my barn, plus the cost for the syringes and alcohol swabs. OH and the 3 ml syringes with needles? They're now .40 each vs .15 the last time I bought them. JEEEEEEESH!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts