The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is Bishop, my 19 year old schoolmaster. He only has one eye, as you can see if you look close at the below pictures. I was told by several competitors that competing and jumping hin is cruel, as he cant see his right side.

What are your thoughts on competing in shows with a one eyed horse?
Why do people say its cruel?
Is it cruel? He jumps perfectly, and really enjoys it!!

Bishop 2.jpg

d22.jpg

d29.jpg

d24.jpg

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
If he has no fear of jumping, then I'd say they're just being overly cautious. From the picture, it doesn't look like he jumps very high either. I can kind of see why people would think its cruel....kind of like making someone with one leg run a marathon. But hey, people do it all of the time, so why not horses? As long as you're sure he's comfortable, and you're comfortable, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I think it's awesome. Just because he only has one eye doesn't mean he can't do something he loves to do. He's a nice looking horse btw.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There was a one-eyed pony that I used to see all the time at the local shows, I went to the same riding club for a year. He held his slightly crooked but he jumped his heart out for his rider. He did everything! Dressage, games, hacking etc The little girl who rode him was so sweet and would chat to anyone who would ask about the horses eye.

As long as your horse isn't falling or tripping I say go for it!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There is a horse in my area that jumps 1.20m showjumping tracks and he is always in the winners enjoys it and knows what he is doing. He has no problem and I don't think it is cruel at all.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My horse has limited sight in one eye and he jumps just fine as well. ;)

There are many stories of horses with one eye/one good eye jumping--you'll know when he's not comfortable!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I used to take lessons on a one eyed horse. She was a pinto draft cross, and absolutely fearless. I believe her name was Cloe. Your horse is fine. As everyone's said, he'll tell you when you're asking too much or if he can't do it anymore.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
As long as you are making sure you are telling him exactly where you want him to go all the time and he likes jumping then i think hes fine!!
hes a beautiful boy by the way! i love his color!

·
Registered
146 Posts
My last horse, Sea Spray, was blind in one eye. Despite that she was an amazing jumper. She was really fearless and absolutly loved to jump with all her heart. Her eye never stopped us from jumping successfully. I agree with what others have said in that if he seems to enjoy it then go for it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I learned to ride on a one eyed qh mare. She jumped, did trails, lessons, everything. She taught me how to ride, and she definately taught me how to come in straight to those jumps!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used to jump Willow, and she also only had one eye. She poked it out while she was trying to escape from the place she was neglected at. She enjoyed it, and could jump either way, she just liked to turn her head a bit so she could see it as she approached it. She is very flexable so she could do this at a good canter, lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one who rides a one eyed horse! So many people tell me I'm asking too much of her, which makes no sense because she willingly does it anyways!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I think it would be more cruel to deny him something that he obviously enjoys doing just because he is handicapped. So long as he continues to be happy and willing, by all means, keep it up. Like other posters have said, he will let ya'll know when he is ready to start slowing down.

I agree, he is gorgeous. :D

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
As long as he seems to enjoy his job, there is no reason to stop. He is a really nice looking guy :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
It isn't cruel to jump them with only one eye. We had a pony here who was a top level sj and developed a cornea in his eye that never came right. The eye was eventually removed. We thought that would be the end of his career but NOPE! He continued to compete at PGP level and won! at the height.
If he is happy jumping, you feel safe doing so, and are sensible enough to not jump him over ridiculously high/wide/terrifying jumps I see zero issue with it. Just be careful, but enjoy him :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I personally think he looks very happy, and as long as you and him are both comfortable with jumping and competing, it is fine!! :)
Someone on her, MIEventer I believe(?), was telling a story about a horse that had been jumping and eventing at pretty high levels, and he had the same routine everyday. One day he fell over something, and when the vet came out they found out he had been blind for quite a while!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys... we're taking him to a few shows this year, its his last year being jumped and ridden alot, after these shows, Im going to retire him and just give him gentle excersice :)

Thank you guys, I really love him, and dont want to jump him if it might hurt him

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
People who say it is cruel are rediculous. Give me a break.

Horses with both eyes, jump blindly anyways. People are retarded as far as I am concerned.

There is a 1 eyed pony at the barn I board at. Cutie patootie. He is a phenominal jumper and he compeates in Eventing, Hunter/Jumpers and Dressage.

Ignore people's opinions, afterall, that's all they are. He is your horse, you know him better than anyone else. The only one you need to listen to, is him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.