The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
wow.
That is all i can say.. is wow, there is no words to describe how hurtful that video is, Not all equestrian's are like that, and i feel like they are blaming the whole equestrian community. I would never do anything of that sort to my horse, and anyone who does, need's to be more educated..

I do find that they need to more educated on tack and equipment, (person who made video) About martingale's and whips and spurs etc, they only harm, if they are used inappropriatly. They were not made to specifically inflict harm upon an animal, or living animal.

Hopefully people know better than that

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^
Exactly my thoughts.

I don't think that bits and spurs need to be removed from the horse horse world AT ALL. However, think the equestrian world needs more education as to HOW to appropriately use some equipment. Or, maybe, if you don't know how to properly use it, DON'T!

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I won't say this happens only in the competitive arenas but I'm betting its the majority.
When cash and ribbons are on the line, anything goes.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
This video makes me gag! If I took pictures of anybody riding I could take them out of context and show the person "abusing" thier horse. Some of those pictures were of people falling off, how is that abuse? In the end the point of the video was to get you to join a bridleless and barefoot club (pretty **** stupid in my opinion) and I'm sure they have something to sell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This video makes me gag! If I took pictures of anybody riding I could take them out of context and show the person "abusing" thier horse. Some of those pictures were of people falling off, how is that abuse? In the end the point of the video was to get you to join a bridleless and barefoot club (pretty **** stupid in my opinion) and I'm sure they have something to sell.

Amen to this!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't have anything against Bridleless and barefoot clubs!
It's a good thing in my opinion.
But heck, NOT with advertising like THIS.

Frankly, even without a bridle and barefoot, you can still abuse your horse.

I don't think any club/group/.. that does a specific activity washes it's hands in inocense (I hope I spelled that right! Not english by nature)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Don't get me started on this video.
Some of those horses were on loose reins in a snaffle.
The rest were being held in proper head carriage and were either chewing on the bit, or yawning.
Very few were cruel.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Bravo, Kevin.

It is always the "you must ride bitless or you are abusing your horse" groups that post vids like that. They always take pictures of horrible riders or pictures that are out of context or purposefully abusive people and lump all of us in together. The fact that they always seem to leave out is that a person with bad hands and an aggressive nature toward horses will still have bad hands and an aggressive nature even without a bit. Just as much damage can be done by certain "bitless" options as it can with any bit. They focus so much on how the BIT is evil instead of focusing their energy on educating the people who don't know how to ride properly on the correct way to use a bit or spurs. I have used spurs for years but not once have I ever drawn blood or so much as left a tiny mark from them. Videos like this just make me sick.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Or, maybe, if you don't know how to properly use it, DON'T!
I agree, for the longest time when I was 13 people told me to use spurs on a lesson horse to get him to move out and I never did because 1. I had never used spurs before and 2. not even my horse?!?!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Most of those pictures were just horses caught with their mouths open...
That's just what I was thinking. :? Or they don't show the whole picture or something.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Although some of those pictures may be abuse, none show the whole picture and are, therefore, inaccurate. That video reminds me of the type used by PITA and other radical organizations when trying to prove a point. There is no doubt that abuse exists but not showing the whole picture is creative editing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I hate ignorant people like this. I also hate people like Anky Van Grunsven for making us look bad. Thanks stupid people, you've made my life.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
did anyone check out that website ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I cant even begin to count the amount of times I have been accused for abusing my horses when "friends" have come to my house. They see our crops, dressage whips, driving whips, lunging whips, spurs , the mikmar combination bit used for my pmu and assume they are all torture devices. If these are all used correctly at the right time and situation they can be extremely useful. Seriously, people should learn how to educate themselves.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous. I have also had "other" types of horsepeople shake their head at me because I am a "traditional" horseperson who uses tack and is interested in competing. In no way does that mean that I, or others at my barn, abuse our horses!! Complete crap to promote an agenda (and I'm sure they're selling something too).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Abusing your horse is kicking the heck out of it without spurs, it bruises up their sides and causes more damage than if you used spurs correctly. That's how it is in my case with my stubborn little mare ;P Spurs are a better alternative than kicking and bruising your horse, IMO.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.