The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I love this country.
Haha, they also refused a guy who rode through one, only i think he was drunk so that might have been a good call.

I know people who have ridden through a drive-through and been served. If I ever try it i'll stick to KFC!!!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Lol! That was a funny one. I know people around here ride horses to couple pubs. Those pubs built special "horse spot" to "park" the horse. :lol:

·
Registered
359 Posts
A pub near my house has a hitching post. It's a nice ride there too. I like going for drinks! :)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I used to ride through the drive through of McDonalds regularly.

My local pub also has tie rings and a water trough for horses.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Actually, I can see the problem. The problem is a load of manure by the window where you are paying or picking up your order - and consequently the flies that can make it into the restaurant. I would also think that with the children that are always present at a McDonalds, there is a safety concern there as well. Your horse may be well mannered but who knows about the next one?

Having a hitching post outside a pub is different in that it can be placed far enough away.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
My wife saw a guy ride his horse up to an offsale (liquor store) drive-thru. She sure got a laugh out of it.

I can see where McD's has a problem as far as health reasons like iridehorses said. Also, what if there are kids there that get excited to see the horse and run up to the horse. Suppose the horse spooks, kicks a kid or causes an accident with a vehicle.

We occasionally ride over to a small town bar from our stable to have a burger and/or drink. We tie them up out back without any problem except people not liking the manure that is dropped.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
The problem is a load of manure by the window where you are paying or picking up your order - and consequently the flies that can make it into the restaurant.
Bahahahahahaha.... Iride, you are NOT romantic!

Speaking of manure piles... I've seen those in NYC have big bag under the tail for that purpose...

·
Super Moderator
26,367 Posts
I tried to take my horse through the drive through on base and they refused me. Said it was an OSHA thing...

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
There is a picture somewhere online, of some guys riding through a Tim Horton's drive thru on horseback. I think it's pretty funny myself.

·
Registered
968 Posts
someone I know who operates a small carriage business has driven her horse and carriage through the drive through of some fast food place.
I think it's cool.

as far as kids... I sure hope no kids are playing in the drive-thru!
what? you're not allowed to drive your horse and cart past ANYWHERE where there might be kids near by??

as far as poop... they have "diaper bags" on the horse/cart to catch that.

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's rare in England other than commercial drivers to have a poo bag and if you look at the picture of the cart in question, as far as I could see there was no poo bag. I work for McDonalds so I can see why they refused. McDonalds has had some bad incidents over the last few years, it would look terrible for them if someone caught food poisoning because someone had driven their horse and cart through and the horse pooed and a fly landed on that then went and landed on a cooking surface and a utensil. The other issue could be the horse spooks and in some places the drive through is basically a funnel, you have to go one way. What if the horse spooks while in a queue and causes damage to cars, itself and the restaurant by damaging signs, the booth windows etc. Too much of a risk.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
We used to go through the drive through until they put up a sign saying it was for motor vehicles only lol.

The kids loved it, they would pat the horses and get their photo taken with them v
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
651 Posts
Actually, I can see the problem. The problem is a load of manure by the window where you are paying or picking up your order - and consequently the flies that can make it into the restaurant. I would also think that with the children that are always present at a McDonalds, there is a safety concern there as well. Your horse may be well mannered but who knows about the next one?

Having a hitching post outside a pub is different in that it can be placed far enough away.
Manure - at least it's not gonna kill ya with its smell - neither will the flies. Carbon Monoxide, Diesel, Cigarettes, etc.. yet, those are allowed to be belching from vehicles and rolled down windows.

As for the safety of the children due to the horse - no different, IMO, than drivers who speed off from the window. And any parent worth their salt wouldn't let their child lumber into the drivethru lane unattended!

I keep hearing this hitching post and buggies/carriage and am kinda stunned. It's ok to go in and have a drink (or several) and then drive your horse home? Talk about drinkin' and drvin'. Sounds like not only are people possibly endangering their own lives and of the people around them, but their horse(s) too. (Don't get me wrong - A DRINK, ONE - is fine).

·
Registered
651 Posts
When I was younger - oh so much younger - I rode my sister's horse through the Bank drivethru once. Everyone got a kick outta it and nobody complained about their money being dirty. :)

I suppose the Amish aren't gonna be drivin' a buggy thru the drivethru at McD's here in my area, huh? LOL

·
Registered
926 Posts
We ride to the Fish and Chips Shop, dang wonder why we never thought of Macca's though! hehe I was actually reading the sign in the drive thru saying "you will only be served if your in a car" It didnt occur to there was a reason behind it! lol :lol:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Chele, it is completely legal to ride a horse with alcohol in your system. (at least in the UK). The only time you could be got by the police is if you were causeing a danger on a public highway.
It is highly unlikely that you would cause a danger round here simply because If you go out for a hack on the roads on a sunday afternoon here (busiest period) you are lucky if you see 6 cars in 2 hrs. This is a farming community, every one has horses.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Manure - at least it's not gonna kill ya with its smell - neither will the flies. Carbon Monoxide, Diesel, Cigarettes, etc.. yet, those are allowed to be belching from vehicles and rolled down windows.

As for the safety of the children due to the horse - no different, IMO, than drivers who speed off from the window. And any parent worth their salt wouldn't let their child lumber into the drivethru lane unattended!

Very true, but the board of health or OSHA will close you down for those things. Parents will sue for those things. In a just world, there wouldn't be a warning on an electric hair dryer that tells you not to use it while showering. Unfortunately, this isn't a just world and although I don''t see the problem, I also wouldn't think of using a hair dryer while I was showering.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts

I keep hearing this hitching post and buggies/carriage and am kinda stunned. It's ok to go in and have a drink (or several) and then drive your horse home? Talk about drinkin' and drvin'. Sounds like not only are people possibly endangering their own lives and of the people around them, but their horse(s) too. (Don't get me wrong - A DRINK, ONE - is fine).
Yes, manure won't kill you, unless it's a truck load dumped on you. However, some people would be repulsed by the smell when they are trying to eat.

Safety of the children? Haven't you ever seen a child run where they shouldn't, such as out into the street without looking? Kids will do stupid things without thinking. So a kid sees the horse through the window and before the parent knows, the kid has run out the door to go see the horse. Some drive-thrus have parking lots next to them, where a kid can come from behind the vehicles without being seen.

Here in the US, you can get a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) on a horse. Just because you stop and have a drink doesn't mean you're drunk. If you are seriously drunk and riding a horse, then you would be endangering your horse, yourself, and possibly others. I don't see a problem with even having a drink while riding. As long as you are being responsible about it.

I bet you'll love this one. It's a pic of riding up to an offsale horsback. I had mentioned it in my earlier post:
kim 00063.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts