1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Back in the day, boots were allowed in eq; but not in the hunters. The logic being that hunters are judged on quality of movement, and a good hunter should not need boots. Since eq is judged on the rider, putting equipment on the horse that advertises they have a movement fault is not a problem. Many different types/colors/styles of boots are permissable in jumpers.

However, you need to check the USEF rule book or someone with knowledge of the circuit you'll be competing in. I'm not sure you're getting good info from your current sources.

The boots you linked to would be suitable. Leather, plain and unobtrusive. Good choice.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Everything Maura said is correct :)

Just want to add the the boots don't have to be black - they should actually match your tack (if you can find some that do). If you wrap with polos for an eq. class, THEN you use black.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So I heard that you can use open front boots in Hunters. I know it isn't really wanted, but you can. One of my friends said that the boots have to be black though. These are the boots I am looking at:

Classic Open Front Leather Boots - Dover Saddlery.

And maybe getting these too:

Classic Open Front Leather Boots - Dover Saddlery.

I would use them for whatever type of jumping we did, though our main focus will be hunters and eq.

So are boots aloud? If so, what color boots?

Boots are not allowed in any hunter show. I've only seen them in the medal classes and jumpers. I compete on the USEF circuit and we never had a rule or any accommodation to show with boots in the hunter arena. ONLY thing is bell boots, depending on the condition on the footing.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
No bell boots, no boots, no polos. You aren't allowed any leg wear at all regardless of the foodting or ground you are showing on. Once you head into jumper classes, your possibilities are practically unlimited, but as far as legwear in hunters, nope-nothing.

When you think about it, you shouldn't need anything. The space in the arena, the distances and the way the fences are build are all user friendly. They are made to allow you take the safest jumping course you possibly can since it's based on rider and horse movement, control and riding ability.

When in Jumpters, you are expected to change your paces throughout your course. You are expected to be cutting corners, changing your stride in between fences. You are expected to do rollbacks etc etc...

I myself would prefer it, if they allowed protective gear regardless of what you are doing but...it isn't so.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
it only makes sense to not be allowed any boots in hunters, bc you really dont want to put anything on them when you go hunting.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Even in the hunter schooling shows I wasnt allowed boots or polos. I was almost disqualified from a local schooling show because I forgot to take the polos off oopse!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
No bell boots, no boots, no polos. You aren't allowed any leg wear at all regardless of the foodting or ground you are showing on. Once you head into jumper classes, your possibilities are practically unlimited, but as far as legwear in hunters, nope-nothing.
Yepper.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I really don't like this rule. I see where they get it from, but why not protect your horse? And Gypsy- I would put boots on my horse if we went hunting, it's basically going XC!

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
And Gypsy- I would put boots on my horse if we went hunting, it's basically going XC!
Ummmmmm, no, it's not.

Going XC is wonderful, exhilirating and tons of fun, but it's galloping a pre-set course over manicured ground and purposefully designed fences. *NOT* like hunting.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You can wear boots in schooling, but once in the ring nothing on the legs.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Well if anything, you are going over solid obsicles through bad teran, why would you not want boots protecting your horses legs?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Well if anything, you are going over solid obsicles through bad teran, why would you not want boots protecting your horses legs?
they are more likely to fall off going through creeks & in deep mud or get caught up on branches. i have rarely seen a horse go out hunting & come back with its boots all on or untrashed. the horses are all sure footed & good jumpers, bc if they arent they arent really good to hunt so they just get sold or used for something else.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Sorry if that last post sounded snarky or abrupt; please let me explain further.

First, very few field hunters wear boots, not because of any regulations but because of practicality. They haven't made a horse boot yet that can reliably survive a full day's hunting; and the potential for them doing more harm than good considering the length of time and conditions under which they're worn is considerable.

Second, anyone who shows hunters over fences or under saddle or hunter seat equitation should have an understanding of the origin of their sport - foxhunting. I understand many folks have legitimate moral or ethical objections to foxhunting, which I respect, but the sport was started by folks showing their field hunters over the summer. The fact nowadays most show hunters can't hunt, and most field hunters can't show, and that 8 fences in related distances, 4 lines and two flying changes don't have much to do with the hunt field; doesn't alter the fact the object, rules and tranditions of show hunters are rooted in foxhunting.

Third, I understand that their are lots of wonderful, protective horse owners who *want* to boot their horses whenever they can, even if their horses are square, sound, correct movers, if there's even a minute chance that it will prevent an injury. I suspect both the OP and Stormy fall in this catagory.

Whew! All in favor of returning to abrupt and snarky; raise your hands!:lol:

·
Registered
432 Posts

When you think about it, you shouldn't need anything. The space in the arena, the distances and the way the fences are build are all user friendly. They are made to allow you take the safest jumping course you possibly can since it's based on rider and horse movement, control and riding ability.

When in Jumpters, you are expected to change your paces throughout your course. You are expected to be cutting corners, changing your stride in between fences. You are expected to do rollbacks etc etc...

I myself would prefer it, if they allowed protective gear regardless of what you are doing but...it isn't so.

I show on the a circuit depending on how muddy the footing is determined by the judge we are allowed to wear bell boots in the hunter ring.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To maura:

Well, I guess people could call me one of "those" riders who always wants to boot their horse, but really, it has been things that I have done to my poor horse (a.i. I am a self taught hunter/jumper and am not always riding my best [supporting my horse]). I have just seen to much to not want to protect my horses legs.

I am one of those riders who reads all they can about the dis. they want to ride in, so I do know about the fox hunting. =]

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
keep in mind that you also want to strengthen your horses legs up by riding on roads [for tendons & ligaments] & not always using their boots. if you use boots all the time you are not doing your horse a favor, you are making them depend on their boots

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont always ride with boots, only when im jumping. I normally ride on the flat with no boots, but it really depends on what I am doing. Sure I dont have to boot my horse, but I feel better booting them while I am jumping. I do take my horse on the the road. =]

So do you guys think those boots are worth it? Should I only get the front boots and not the back?

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Eventerwannabe,

If you look at my avatar photo, you can clearly see that I'm not all that anti-boot. :wink:

I always booted horses for xc and the showing jump phase, and most of the time for xc schooling, particulary schooling drops. That's a clear cut "better safe than sorry" situation.

I put bells on my pleasure horse right now when we hack out as he tends to overreach and catch a front shoe.

I usually did not put boots on for casual flat work or hacking.

I would wrap a young horse's legs for the first week on the lunge line, and the first week under a rider's weight. After that, I took them off - I wanted him to figure out how to move and stay out of their own way.

I also once had a student who showed schooling jumpers and lower level eventing, and she booted her beloved horse with the entire Professional's Choice catalog.

He started having cheap rails down, and I made her take them off for schooling. If he was sloppy and caught a rail, he needed to feel it to have the incentive to be more careful next time.

That's just my personal philosophy on the subject; there's lots of valid, differing viewpoints. I wasn't criticizing anyone for being protective and wanting boots. I offered that comment as reference back to the OP - wanting boots on your horse may not be about not understanding hunters; it may just be the preference of a conservative horseperson.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for getting snarky with you maura! I do agree with you though. So do you think that I should only use those boots for showing Eq. and such? I am going to get these for when I school out in the field: Fleece Lined Open Front Boots and Open Front Boots | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM What do you guys think? I will be schooling out in my field most of the time this summer, as my arena is to small for me to jump Bear. So unless I really do move, I am stuck with it for most of the time. ;]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts