The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting excited about the up and comming eventing season. I want to color code my horse and she looks really good in red, plus the vest that I will be borrowing is red as well. So I picked that as my color, but I have been looking around for some open front jumping boots and am having a hard time finding them in red. Does anyone know a website/sites that I could look at for red jumping boots? Also I would love to get open fron ankle boots as well but that isn't as necessary as the fronts. Thanks for the help!! :D

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Are you thinking about going on XC with open fronts or just for stadium? If your are thinking about doing XC in open fronts, don't. They are completely pointless on XC. Look for a boot with full coverage.

In stadium, I would recommend Eskadrons. They come in various colors.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Yeah, if it is your first season, I would say, A) worry about getting out there safly with your trainer and B) on the subject of boots, I would get Woof's and then also get them in a nutral like black. You can always change your colors then, and you can always put tape around brushing boots for XC.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the ebay ones and was thinking about them. They seemed nice but idk if i want to get the sheepskin or fleace or whatever material that is because they would be very hard to clean. What kind of closed front boots would you suggest for the xcountry. i will definatly use them for xc, but also for stadium. also i need the boots to be on the cheaper side, like not over $40 probably. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i really like woof boots for both xc & sj, they are pretty inexpensive and last forever =]

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
NEVER use open fronts on XC. I would sugest Woof Wear Brushing Boots. my whole team uses them

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
woof boots are the absolute BEST. Whether you are on a tight budget or not!

If you really want to splurge (REALLY splurge) then get some Sabres: LEG PROTECTION

They're like leg protection eye candy *drools* I have a pair.

·
Banned
593 Posts
can i ask why no open fronts on xc? is it because things can get stuck in them or something? thats the only thing i could think of.

for cheap for stadium id use romas. theyre cheap and come in black white blue and mulberry (burgundy'ish color). they clean SUPER easy with hand washing in a bucket of shampoo believe it or not =]

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Open fronts do not offer any protection of the cannon bone. It'd be like cracking your shin against a hard pole at ten miles an hour with no protection. NOT fun.

Horses can go temporarily lame from hitting an immobile jump like one on XC. Better safe than sorry. You will not find a single professional (or anyone who knows a thing about XC boots) going on XC with open fronts. It's just not done.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
NEVER use open fronts on XC. I would sugest Woof Wear Brushing Boots. my whole team uses them
Technically, you can use them on xc. If you have a careful horse that never touches a jump, but want tendon protection. There are some big name riders that run xc bootless...

And if she's at the lower levels those jumps are small enough that open front boots are just fine.

(Note: I used to be in the strict no open fronts on xc camp! Until I recently had my eyes opened for me...)

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Very true - it is a well known fact that open fronts do not belong on the CC course. I've asked many mid to top level eventers and they all stress the same - no open fronts on the CC course. Articles have been written on protective boots for CC, and I have yet to see any top level eventer out on the CC course with anything less than proper protective leg wear on their horses.

Do not, go out on the CC course with open fronts. Stick to splint boots, tendon boots, smb's - whichever - anything but open fronts.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Not true, right now open fronts on XC are "big". Especially in the UK.

Here's William Fox Pitt at Badminton (about as "top" as you get):

And Ollie Townend:
Oliver Townend Pictures - Badminton Horse Trials - Day Three - Zimbio
^ They seem to like them for the "cooling factor". Also, they might like to run in no boots, but need a tendon protector because they're using studs.

And I believe Lucinda Green ran around the Blenheim course with NO boots on Miss Demeena. If she runs bootless, I bet she runs in OFBs.

Just sayin'.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always boot for XC. But, here's proof the big names use open fronts/no boots on course. If your horse is a careful jumper and doesn't need to "feel" it's way around the course, they shouldn't be a problem. Of course, if the horse does slip and knock a jump they'll probably be kicking themselves... But they're professionals, they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use splint boots- I went to a 4h tack show, and there were all sorts of boots for cheap- a lot of 4h tack sales have boots for sale. I picked mine up for ten bucks, still in the plastic. Yeah, the plastic was dusty, but they're perfect.
For my back boots, I have the woof All-purpose, but I'm hoping to save up some money to buy true cross-country boots, despite my horse being a super-careful jumper. I just want the best leg protection I can get for him!

MyBeau- Just because they do it, doesn't mean I'd do it. =] Not looking to argue, but I'm just saying "why risk it with open fronts?"

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
MyBeau- Just because they do it, doesn't mean I'd do it. =] Not looking to argue, but I'm just saying "why risk it with open fronts?"
That's how I feel, too! My horse is just short of bubble wrapped going out on course:lol:.

I was just making a point as to the "no good rider/trainer goes out on xc in open front boots, ever." Just irked me a little, been one of those days:wink:...

But, to OP, it's my opinion if you're showing Baby Beginner or Beginner Novice, you'd be fine for 1 show in open fronts if that's what you want to do. Although, like everyone else has said, look into a nice set of splint/brushing boots if you're going to event a lot:). Pick the right equipment for the horse, first. Color is secondary.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok, so what I don't really understand- You wouldn't put open fronts on your horse, so why say you think it's okay? I don't suggest something to others if I wouldn't do the same with my horse....

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
William Pitt is like what? 1 eventer out of 99 who uses open fronts? I'm not looking to argue either, but I am not one to advocate lack of equipment to beginners or those who are entering into the sport I have such passion fo.

Just because a slim number of eventers use open fronts, which is highly discouraged by the community, doesn't meant I am going to say "Hey, it's ok!" That would be like saying "Hey, it's ok to train under a Hunter Coach if you are just doing GAG or BN"

Not in my nature. :)

I will never encourage anyone to use open fronts for eventing.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You're right, I wouldn't go out on course with open fronts or no boots, then again my horse isn't running around BBN or BN. At those lower levels, the jumps are able to be jumped from a trot and sometimes even walk (although I don't advocate that either)... I doubt the horse needs a lot of boot, they're just nice to have as a precaution. If it does need the boots, maybe eventing isn't it's calling.

The picture of Pitt was just to show that yeah, they are used on xc sometimes. I was not encouraging, just saying "look, it happens".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.