The Horse Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All that being said, if you were doing business around here I'd recommend carrying:

copra (coolstance is my personal choice...and my only option LOL) and
beet pulp with no sweeteners of any type added (which pretty easy to find anyway)

Outside of the feed fiasco 馃檪. Since most of the equine activities today seem to have a more significant female presence (unlike 35+ years ago) it might be smart to carry some decorative (even matching colorful) tach and accessories. I see the women using very dressed up, even color coordinated gear (pink trim on a saddle and bridle with a matching blanket, etc....) and I've found that women can easily spend more money on gear for the horses that catches their eye than they often spend on themselves (thank God my daughter and granddaughters just use my gear LOL).
Thank you so much for all of the info!!! We will be dealing Coolstance Copra due to popular demand. As for beet pulp, we will be dealing Standlee, which seems to be a popular choice among the ropers.

Additionally, what do you guys think abount Redmond Equine Products? It seems that a lot of people want to give them a try (including me).

Registered
Additionally, what do you guys think abount Redmond Equine Products? It seems that a lot of people want to give them a try (including me).
I feed the loose Redmond Rock Salt and I love it. My horses will eat it straight out of my hand if offered. Ever since I learned that horses don't get all of their needed salt from salt blocks, I immediately ordered their loose salt from Smartpak. Cost effective and good stuff.

Reactions: EmilyJoy

Registered
Saw this thread update and thought of a couple of other things.

For beet pulp, Speedibeet is popular here.
As far as herbal supplements, I agree with the poster who said they can be a little "out there" in terms of science (vs magic :wink:) backing them (I'm a researcher by training so try to be research-based in selecting products). That said, Lyme disease is a big problem in my region and the Hilton Herbs TicX products have been beneficial to my horses.

I looked in my feed room this morning, and in addition to hay, this is what's there:
-Bag of speedibeet to moisten the pelleted feed for my old retiree
-Poulin ETech Ration Balancer
-Poulin Low-Carb Senior
-Morton's Table Salt
-Bob's Red Mill Ground Flaxseed
-Probios Probiotics
-Animed Remission
-Kentucky Performance Products InsulinWise (prescription required)
-Kentucky Equine Research liquid Nano-E

It sounds like a lot of stuff typing it all out in a list :eek: I have three horses, two retired, one ridden moderately on tough trails, and their needs are pretty simple. One of the retirees is insulin resistant hence a couple of the products I wouldn't have otherwise. They all get around a lb daily of ration balancer to supplement what hay in our region lacks, with small additions of the other items in the list. My oldest retiree needs a little extra so gets around a lb daily of senior feed and ground flax.

Registered
Redmond salt is the brand I use at home. I was really happy to see it at the feed store, as it was a brand I already knew and trusted for myself and my family. I use both salt licks and loose salt -- salt licks for all of them, but extra loose salt for Teddy, because he doesn't really seem to use the licks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok, so Redmond is a yes. We will be dealing ALL of their products (I am so excited)!!

As for BOT, it gets either really hot here,or really cold here, so do you think it would make a difference?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
UPDATE:

So turns out I have today and tomorrow to "write" all the products we will be dealing. I am about 1/4 done and turns out we are planning in opening the first week of July. We won't be having a huge tack section, just some of the essentials with some sport boots and such. Problem; we were planning on dealing Classic Equine (our favorite brand) but they denied due to the fact that there is a tack store 45-50 miles away. So we are thinking about Professionals Choice, but since I've never used them before, how do you guys feel about them?

Super Moderator
I don't have them but every one else around here does use them and really likes them. We have the Classic Equine brand Legacy 2's and love those. Also used Dura Tech. For the price they did the job well and lasted longer than I expected. Outer neoprene and inner lining along with the edge binding are still holding strong. There is some separation in the inner layer but it does not effect use.

Registered
I like Professionals Choice. I bought their leg boots when I rescued my Arab in 1993.

Their back brace was the first brace I ever wore and LOVED it. Too bad I outgrew it and also deteriorated to where I needed something different.

Unless something has changed, for the worse, with the quality of their materials I highly recommend them.

Registered
I鈥檒l bet Dr. Teals Epsom salts for people (and some of the other products) would fly off the shelf.

I love the muscle soaks. I have always bought them at Walmart but they didn鈥檛 have any today.

These are only two pound bags so a great afterthought to be grabbed at the checkout:)

https://www.drteals.com/products/

Registered
Hmm, good thread. Hay pellets is a good idea...Standlee brand. Timothy pellets etc. and Renew Gold!

Registered
Yes, hay pellets and hay cubes.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts