The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of asking my mom's friend if she would like to board her two horses with my boy (or post an add in the paper to see if anyone has a retired horse they would want to board) as she does not have time for them & no one is really taking care of them.
I have an acre/acre & a half field for my boy, and we are thinking of setting up a second.
Anyway, the horses would live outside 24/7, and have free grazing (even let them out on the lawn like we do with my horse), and feed twice a day. If she sends their tack with them I would re-train them and work with them too (I don't think they've been ridden in about 3 years).

I was wondering what a good price to ask for would be.
I was thinking about calculating how much an average horse costs a month, times it by two, and add an extra $100 or so in case of emergency. (My horse only costs about $30/40 or so bucks a month to feed and keep - if that).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Depending on what kind of facilities you have and what kind of care you're going to provide, as well as the type of feed you feed, the price could be anywhere from $100/mo to $300+/mo.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Would the 1.5 acre field be for grazing or a dry-lot? Because, if you have 1.5 acres.. That is not enough for 3 horses. Now, if you fence in another pasture of 1.5 acres, so you would have 3 acres of pasture and 3 horses with feeding hay, that would be fine..

As for the boarding fee, it depends on your area. Look around, see what the average price would be for pasture boarding, but you seem to be on the right track.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That'd be good for your boy to have a friend!

$150-200 is the norm in my area for basic outdoor boarding. With grain, maybe more like $250. Keep in mind, more horses = less grass. You might have to invest in a round bale (if you don't have one).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, we have a little three sided shed for my boy where we feed him & for protection from the elements (not that he uses it, but it was a nice thought!) & if we were to fence in another field then we would build another shelter.
I have no idea what a "dry-lot" is. The second field would back onto the first one & they would be open to each other. It would just be a bigger place for them to live/graze/etc.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
A dry-lot is also called a sacrifice area, it is an area where horses wouldn't graze, its usually just dirt or rocks or mud.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i would fence in another few acres and switch them back and forth between the two. that will give you better parasite control and allow the grass to regrow between times.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I boarded horses at my place for a year, thinking I would save some money on my own guys, and it wasn't worth it... first there are the legal issues, like insurance issues and liability... what if a horse gets injured or sick at your place, etc.

Then there are privacy issues, people coming in and out of your property at random times, having to go to the bathroom... in my case a seemingly nice woman ended up bringing her kids worth her, who then would hang out in my living room and raid my fridge when they were" just running in the house to go potty".:shock:

Gates left open, feed costs going up faster than board, messy horses and ignorant owners... not worth the trouble... just some things to consider...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ace80908, I would be boarding my mom's friend's horses who haven't been ridden in about three years. I would pretty much be getting two free horses; she would never come out to see them & she would give me the go-ahead to do what I please with them.
She was actually going to sell me her show mare a few years ago, but we didn't have the money.
It's actually a shame that she doesn't ride them, her show mare was an amazing girl, and now it's as if she's never been ridden.
Anyway, back to my point, I wouldn't have to dea lwith random people in my house as it would be a family friend who wouldn't come out to see them anyway as she doesn't have time for them.
Thank you for the advice though :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would make sure everything is written out... what happens if a horse gets hurt... what if your horse kicks and injures hers, or vice versa? Who pays the vet? What about shots, farrier, cleaning stalls, etc.

Sounds like you are excited to get them, and it may be a great situation... just make sure both parties have the same expectations and understanding.... just my opinion, and good luck :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would look at the prices for pasture boarding around your area.
If that is a wide range factor in location to help you out
If you want to start from scratch, I would total the cost of hay & grain
then I would add in an extra fee that you add to the above total for worming, shoeing/trimming, and vaccines

1 - 13 of 13 Posts