The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Evansk. I have a draft cross and he is absolutely AMAZING! He is my once-in-a-lifetime horse, no question.

What amazes me is that this sexy beastly (this is him last summer...he looks too much like a wooly mammoth for me to put up winter pics :p):

is half-brother to this unfortunate filly (yes, she is THAT butt-high...it's even more pronounced now...these were taken this past summer):

They share the same unfortunate sire:

Your horse is gorgeous! He looks so muscular and shiny.. Its amazing how much he looks different than his half-sister, but its show what you explained.

These are some pictures of my TB Perch. Cross, She passed on two years ago but she was the best horse I ever had. great disposition and what not.. But when i looked through her pictures it seems she didnt have the best conformation, but I guess i:Dt didn't matter since she put up with me for 15+ years haha!

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Another thing you'd have to think about, OP, would be special tack or trailer requirements of the foal. Some Friesians can top 17hh. If I remember correctly, standard horse trailers are suited for horses just barely over 16hh. Not sure how tall your mare is, but depending on who the foal takes after, you might need to buy a bigger/taller trailer. A perfect example: Aires' sire, who I pictured, is 15.1hh. Aires is already 16hh (16.1-16.2hh at the butt...yay for growth spurts) and a long two-year-old, so he's definitely taking after his Percheron dam. He's also built like a tank (it's like riding a barrel), so he's wider than a "normal" horse. His half-sister (pictured) wears a large horse halter. Aires has to have a small draft (our bridle is draft sized as well). We're already into FQHB for saddles...by the time he's done growing and filled out, we'll need draft saddles.

What I'm getting at is that you'd be crossing your relatively normal-sized mare with a draft horse (albeit a light draft, but a draft nonetheless). Are you prepared for the extra cost associated with buying tack and equipment...and feed...for a (potentially) larger horse? And trust me, draft tack is MUCH more expensive than regular-sized horse tack and, depending on where you live, harder to find.

Evansk, your mare was beautiful. I love her head. :) But yeah, her conformation wasn't the greatest (not that Aires' is, but it's definitely better than his half-sister's or his sire's...and our trainer absolutely loves him).

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
And...I will refrain from posting pics of Frank.....I think some of you saw him a couple of weeks ago, and the picture was less than flattering....lets just say the winter braids put on a few lbs. lol

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
And...I will refrain from posting pics of Frank.....I think some of you saw him a couple of weeks ago, and the picture was less than flattering....lets just say the winter braids put on a few lbs. lol
I'll post a winter pic of Aires (in all his wooly mammoth glory) if you put up a picture of Frank. ;-)

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Can't be any worse than Aires. ;-) And I solemnly swear I am up to no...oh, wait. I mean, I solemnly sear not to laugh. lol

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
*Disclaimer: Yes, I know he's covered in burrs. Yes, he looks nothing like the stud muffin I posted before. He'll grow out of it, I promise. ;-)

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Aww-I love the woolies on Aires....... I love his color and markings!
Thanks! His woolies are...extreme, to say the least. I was worried about having to get him used to a blanket this winter (my old gelding wore a blanket, but he was a wimpy arab/saddlebred :p). He's never SEEN a blanket, much less worn one. I was given a nice $400 custom blanket by one of our overnight boarders (was made for a horse that boarded with her and the horse was sold and the blanket abandoned...so she gave it to me because it was too big for any of the other horses)...then he went *POOF*...and the blanket (with matching full hood) sits folded up in our tack box. lol

And I think you did a helluva lot better job braiding Frank's mane than I did braiding my old gelding's mane (after I trimmed it with scissors and my friend freaked on me...long story). We called poor Dakota "Rasta Boy" until his mane grew out. lol

·
Registered
667 Posts
They look good in their woolies! I think frank looks cute with his mane all braided up!

Aires looks good too! And I agree with franknbeans love the markings! The wrap on his leg, did he hurt himself ?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
They look good in their woolies! I think frank looks cute with his mane all braided up!

Aires looks good too! And I agree with franknbeans love the markings! The wrap on his leg, did he hurt himself ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope, those are just polo wraps. Provide a bit of support to his tendons since we were doing a rocky, hilly trail. I do notice I have them on wrong. :oops: My only defense is that I was in a hurry and it's been a looooong time since I did polos. I want to get him SMBs, but he's so damned big that it's going to be hard finding them (his fetlocks are about 12" in diameter now).

Modeling his polos...and burrs:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Chances of you getting the pewrty blakc howrse wiht amzizng tale and so fayrytayl lyke is very unlikely.

Go to a rescue, there are lots of horses that look like Friesian crosses..or if you have to breed you mare THAT BAD, look up a homozygous QH. Breeding your mare to just get something different isn't too great of an idea...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I've seen some paint/friesian(sp?) crosses that were 3/4 friesian that looked good to me, but I would never own one because it seems to put a big blocky head on a not so big blocky body! I'm not a pro at conformation outside of what to look for in a reiner/cutter, so don't really know what to look for in other breeds.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Curiosity is no reason to breed. You're contemplating bringing another life into the world. That's nothing to take lightly.

I'm not crazy about any kind of Friesian cross. I love Warlanders and some Friesian x Morgans, but generally, Friesians do not cross well. They're too different to complement most other breeds. I would never think about crossing one with a QH. A foal that has a Friesian sire isn't automatically special or exotic. It's often quite the opposite.

If you're hellbent on breeding your mare, look for a good stock type stallion.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Curiosity is no reason to breed. You're contemplating bringing another life into the world. That's nothing to take lightly.

I'm not crazy about any kind of Friesian cross. I love Warlanders and some Friesian x Morgans, but generally, Friesians do not cross well. They're too different to complement most other breeds. I would never think about crossing one with a QH. A foal that has a Friesian sire isn't automatically special or exotic. It's often quite the opposite.

If you're hellbent on breeding your mare, look for a good stock type stallion.

What is a Warlander? I've never heard of that term before.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Uh, I don't honestly think I have ever come across anybody that has ever crossed a Friesan with anything but a twh and I have only seen one of those. I would think smaller though cause your mare doesn't look like she is even close to 16.3 hh and with fries an being a bigger boned breed I would worry about complications with my mare more than anything. The only reason I say that is because one of the girls i used to work with bred her 15.1 hh paint mare to a
16.3 hh draft/tb cross and the foal ended up dieing trying to come out of the birth canal and got lodged and a vet had to cut the foal into three pieces to be able to remove it from the mare. Idk it just seems very risky too me.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.