The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if anyone else thought this was odd and also ask if I should leave negative, neutral, or positive feedback.
On Christmas eve, I won an auction for a Showmanship Outfit on eBay. The outfit retailed for $1,100, had a Buy-It-Now for $650, and I was the only bidder and won the auction at $125. I truly think the seller forgot to put a reserve price on the auction and since it ended on Christmas Eve, very few people were shopping on eBay. Anyway, I received an e-mail from the seller yesterday saying that this outfit had inadvertently been sold at a show and they forgot to remove the auction. She did offer to refund my money.
Anybody else think she changed her mind because she did not get the price she wanted? If this happened to you, would you leave neutral or negative feedback?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
IMO, it doesn't matter what actually happened on her end. The outfit was awarded to you, and you did not receive it. Even though she offered to refund your money, I would still be irked about it. I'd leave negative feedback. Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would leave negative feed back as well. She has the right to cancel the auction up to the time someone wins the item, after that its legally binding.

I did have an item I had for auction end up getting ruined, but it wasnt ebay, it was one that horse.com used to have. I let the buyer know before the auction ended.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The seller can't leave anything but a positive feedback for you. But I think before I post a negative, I'd report it to PayPal as a "Not As Described" just for the record. You can post a feed back weeks after the auction, so there's no rush. And I'd certainly watch to see if she ever relists it, say in a month or so. After 15 days, it gets hard to find old auctions unless you've put them in watched items before the auction closes.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
negative. You paid for something that was promised to someone else. Sounds like an organizational error on the seller's part.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your feedback. I will be leaving negative feedback. After really thinking about it, I did not even bid until about 5 minutes before the auction ended. She had plenty of time to cancel the auction prior to any bids being accepted.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I would leave negative feedback. IMO, it sounds like the seller is having "seller's remorse" and realized too late that she botched the auction. I would wait to leave the feedback until your money has been returned though ;-).

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
IMO, it doesn't matter what actually happened on her end. The outfit was awarded to you, and you did not receive it. Even though she offered to refund your money, I would still be irked about it. I'd leave negative feedback. Just my opinion. :)
As long as you got a refund, there is nothing else that should be done. The item is hers, maybe she did change her mind, but you chose to go for an auctioned item and that is something that can happen with them.

Having said that, for sure there is reason to be disappointed, but she did her part and she gave you a refund.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have done alot of business on ebay as a buyer and a seller. What they have done is against ebay policies and needs to be reported to ebay. You can go to the resolution center or security center and report this. Also, you can report it to Paypal. As you placed your bid 5 min. before the auction ended they had plenty of time to cancel the listing before it ended if they had already sold the item. They are not allowed to cancel it once there is a bid.

Good Luck and I hope you get your money back.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Exactly what redneckprincess said. As a buyer or a seller you are basically signing a contract when the item is won. She broke her contract and needs to be reported to Ebay. If you paid through paypal you will be refunded your money regardless of whether or not you give negative feedback (which i would completely do). Do you know how long the auction went for? I know you can put some up for like 30 days. I guess that's understandable. But if it was a typical 6 or 7 day auction? seems strange to "forget" that you put it on ebay. I like what someone else said about waiting to see if it gets relisted. I'd definitely contact ebay again after that and hopefully get what you won.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
just to add... I would definitely still report this but as long as you get your money back ebay may not be able do anything. a similar thing happened to me. I won an almost new Devoucoux saddle ($4000 saddle) for $800. Paid for it immediately. The next day got a refund and an email from the woman apologizing profusely saying that she didn't understand how it worked and that she meant to put a reserve on the item. talked to ebay about it and they said it seemed like a genuine mistake and that I *could* dispute it if I wanted to but since it was her first time to sell an item they would probably let it slide.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is a seasoned seller with an eBay store and over 450 feedbacks as a seller. I did pay via Paypal and have no doubt I will be refunded, but I too sell things on eBay and agree to eBay's terms and conditions. Listing an item or buying an item is a contractual agreement for both parties and she did not honor her end of the agreement. Very disappointing.......and it was EXACTLY what I have been looking for since the beginning of summer. My quest continues.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
yeah in that case she should know better. and her only excuse would be that she has SO many auctions going on right now that she really did forget. but still, her fault. i'm really curious about what ebay will say to this. will you updated us?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.