The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is on Just wanted to get your guy's opinion on this gelding. He is a 9 year old QH. She is wanting him as a trail horse for her husband and as a companion to her current gelding. He has a club hoof, as you can see in the photo and I was wondering what you guys thought about it? Do you see it causing him any problems? Or would it be ok as long as it is trimmed properly? She is going to have a vet look at it in a few days.her way to try out this gelding.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Truthfully, it doesn't look much like a clubbed foot to me. He's obviously had a fairly serious injury to the hind part of that foot at some point in his past. That may make it difficult for him to grow decent hoof wall underneath where the injury occurred.

What pops out to me the most is the absolute horrendous hoof care, or rather complete lack of hoof care that is obvious in that second picture.

He looks like a sweet enough guy, but I would definitely get a PPE to check out that foot (for lasting problems due to the injury). Also, he could probably use a good de-worming and having his teeth done, he's lacking muscle everywhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.