The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered to be able to ride a horse and get paid for it. I am not sure how I would ask for something like this. The horse is a posse trained horse needs someone to get on him and ride him a couple times a week.

I am not sure what to charge? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

·
Banned
16 Posts
I was offered to be able to ride a horse and get paid for it. I am not sure how I would ask for something like this. The horse is a posse trained horse needs someone to get on him and ride him a couple times a week.

I am not sure what to charge? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you
Are you friends with them? And also will you need to do any other kind of work with him other than ride him? xxx

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd say part of it would depend on where you are located.. if you were say in scottsdale, Arizona, I would charge more, whereas if you are just in some small rural town, I wouldn't charge as much. I would charge a flat rate. If I were to do something like that, I would only charge maybe 25-30$. Enough to cover your gas to get there atleast. But, I would not be doing this for the money, but If I had to charge, i would make sure it covered my time and gas. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say part of it would depend on where you are located.. if you were say in scottsdale, Arizona, I would charge more, whereas if you are just in some small rural town, I wouldn't charge as much. I would charge a flat rate. If I were to do something like that, I would only charge maybe 25-30$. Enough to cover your gas to get there atleast. But, I would not be doing this for the money, but If I had to charge, i would make sure it covered my time and gas. Hope this helps.
Thankfully I do not need to drive over. He is about 2 houses down from my house. I was thinking about $25 but I was not sure about that price.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Last year my daughter offered to ride a horse for a green rider at our stable for $10 a ride - to help get her through some rough spots. The lady did not take her up on it, but the stable owner jumped at the chance.

She spent the winter/spring getting his green Mustang into shape for the riding season - the stable owner spends most of the summer weekends on organized trail rides. With as fast as he jumped at it, made us think we had under priced her services...

But - make sure that there is a contract in writing - no matter what the price gets set at. There was a situation where my daughter got bucked off and hurt, it was the horses being a butt, not her fault. The stable owner FREAKED out because they were afraid we were going to sue them. They would have been a lot calmer about the whole thing if there was a contract in place stateing what would happen in such a situation.

(She walked with limp for about three months as her hairline fracture of her pelvis healed - she still feels it on cold days. We never asked the horse owner for any $$ - horses are inherantely dangerous and we go into working with them knowning that.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I change about 20 an hour if they are less than 10 mins from my house, after that I pump the price to help pay for gas.

Make sure you write up a contract though. If the horse gets hurt while your riding/with the horse they could getcha. It just helps to have something light on paper that is signed by both of you for understanding.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I did not even think about a contract. I am not doing this to make a lot of money just enough to pay for my horse hobby/shows. I also really enjoy riding other horses.

I would have replied early but I wound up have to go to work for 7 1/2 hours yesterday on my day off.... :-|

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.