The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to the woman that owns the barn where I used to ride and I mentioned I wanted to maybe transfer somewhere where I could get a degree in Equine Studies. She basically told me it was a bad idea and not to bother. What do you all think?

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have a degree in Equine Science. i learned bunches and had a blast, learned really neat things about other animals as well.

i remember (this was several years ago too) one of my teachers telling me that the equine department did better grade wise than the engineering department, however when graduating, only 16% on equine majors left with jobs...

so i see that as the only downfall

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I think I would have a great time too. I usually hate school but I find everything having to do with horses interesting and I keep wanting to learn more. I think it would be a really good idea for me to do this.

The job thing is kind of what she was talking about but she said no one would care if you had a degree in Equine Studies or not, which I don't think is completely true. I think it depends on what you want to do.

I am currently looking at schools and trying to figure out what needs to be done to transfer but its freaking me out a little lol. I've never lived away from home before so I didn't want to have to go too far but the closest college that offers Equine Studies as a major is 3 hours away. I know that probably doesn't seem like a lot but the farthest away any of us has ever gone is a little over an hour. My brother can still come home any weekend he wants but 3 hours seems like it would be a lilttle much for me to do that. And that's if I get into this place. Plus it's in New Jersey and I'm sorry but I think it's really dumb that you can't make left turns in Jersey. It would drive me nuts. I already get lost pretty easily so not being able to make a left turn would just make things even harder for me. And now I've gotten sooooo far off topic lol. Can you tell I'm nervous?

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
If you want to go into research or get an Equine Science degree with upper level work, its worth it.
If you want to ride/train/show/give lessons/board/etc it's not worth your time.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
As far as like...barn management? I think you'd be fine. If you want to work managing a breeding barn or something, some reproduction classes would be good. Otherwise I'd say just go for business.
Where in Maryland are you? There was a school that had equine science I was looking at outside of columbia.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Amba
There is a course starting the week after next at the Gwyndwr University in Wrexham.Wales UK A 3 year course - cost £3250 per year plus board & lodge. It leads to a B Sc (Hons) in porse Psychology.
The course covers all the things you'll ever want to know about horses.

Trouble is, it would be a long way for you to commute.

Barry G

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as like...barn management? I think you'd be fine. If you want to work managing a breeding barn or something, some reproduction classes would be good. Otherwise I'd say just go for business.
Where in Maryland are you? There was a school that had equine science I was looking at outside of columbia.
I think it might be geared towards owning a barn. You take a lot of business classes in addition to all the horse stuff.
I'm about 45 minutes outside of DC. I know there's an ES program at Maryland University but they only offer a certificate not a degree. The only school I found that offers a degree is a community college. I haven't looked at it yet. Which college were you looking at?

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Maybe that was the one. I don't remember the name, but it was in either DC or baltimore. I was looking at their Psych program but I saw they had an equestrian center and program.

The thing I don't like about getting a degree in horses, is I feel they aren't teaching you anything you couldn't learn hands on. The job market for horses is fairly small and it's hard to transfer a horsey degree to any other job posistion.

At my school, it's fairly easy to get into the equine classes as a non-major if you can prove you are competent around horses so that may be an option. Or possibly a minor. I know ARIA does a stable management program but that too is a certificate not a degree but I have found with horse related jobs, they want more real world experience than a degree.

What was the school you were looking at in Jersey?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing is, whatever degree I get is basically going to be usless. I went to art school for a couple of years which I felt was a complete waste of time because no one is going to care if you went to school or not when they're looking at your art. I learned a few things, but nothing I couldn't have picked up elsewhere. Right now I'm working towards a general studies degree. As I said before, I hate school. So if I just keep going with general studies, once I get that degree that will be it for me as far as school. Once I get a degree in something I'm done. If it were up to me I wouldn't even be bothering with a degree at all (which I know might not be the smartest decision) but my parents are requiring me to get a degree in something. It doesn't matter what it's in.

So I'll either do ES or general, but I would like to do Equine because I actually have an interest in what I'd be learning. Plus a lot of the programs have you doing internships so you do get a lot of hands on experience. Doing ti on my own feels like it would take longer because I've had so much trouble just finding a barn to ride at, finding a place that would actually teach me the things I want to learn feels like it would be impossible.

Centenary College is the one in Jersey I'm looking at. But I'm leaning more towards one that I found in PA since I would like to be closer to home.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I almost went to Cetenary. Couldn't afford it though.
If you're only getting a degree because you have to, do it in horses. Like you mentioned, you don't need one for what you are doing, but if you have to pick, I'd say do what you love.

I took a year off of college and it helped me a lot, it sucks when you get rushed into things.

·
Registered
375 Posts
From what you have said, I would recommend getting a degree in business and taking an equine class every semester as your elective. Then go out and get a part time job working at a barn. You'll need as much real world experience as you can get, and a degree in business will help you out more than any other degree, IMO.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes I think taking a year off would've helped me. Maybe then I would've figured out what I wanted to do sooner instead of wasting 2 years in art school. I like art and I'm good at artist things but I never had any real interest in it. It was always just a hobby that I turned to when I stopped riding.

Now I just have to figure out where to go and get myself used to the idea of leaving home.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what you have said, I would recommend getting a degree in business and taking an equine class every semester as your elective. Then go out and get a part time job working at a barn. You'll need as much real world experience as you can get, and a degree in business will help you out more than any other degree, IMO.
I've taken some business classes and I really don't think I could handle taking enough to get a degree in it. The classes were interesting but that was mostly because of the stories the professors would tell about how different businesses got started. That is what my old BO suggested (getting a business degree) but I don't have nearly enough interest in business to get a degree in it. I will probably still take a few classes but that's probably as much as I can handle.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I think it depends on the classes really. I'm getting an Animal Science degree right now w/ an emphasis on horses. I've learned a lot from it even though I've been around horses my entire life. Of course the problem there is getting horse people to believe that anything not learned hands on is valuable also. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard "Just because you take classes about that subject doesn't mean you know anything." My classes are primarily science based so I have to disagree with that statement at least a little. :) LOL.

Anyways, I'm getting my degree not so I can work with horses, but because I wanted to finally finish my degree. You would be suprised at how much of your equine knowledge will be helpful in different careers. In my opinion you get out of school what you want and you can "twist" anything to your advantage in the job market. I don't mean lying or anything just the usual creative thinking about skill application. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what my parents are thinking. As long as I have a degree in something I will be better off when it comes to getting a job, even if it's not related to your degree. It shows that you can stick with something and work to finish it.

I think taking classes gives you hands on experience. Most of the class descriptions I've read say that you do a lot of hands on stuff. Plus all of them require some kind of internship which gets you experience and could open up some doors for jobs after graduation. This is what I want to do so I can figure out a way to make it useful in whatever I do.

I started applying to one of the schools last night. I had to stop though because they wanted my SAT scores and I have no clue where to find them. Plus I took the old one and the new one and I don't know which I scored higher on. I forgot how frustrating applying to college can be.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think it really depends on the area you live in. Cal Poly Pomona has great courses, and nearby areas like Norco (California) have high demand.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is true. I know my area is probably very low demand since I had to look out of state to even find a school that offers Equine Studies as a major.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I accidentally applied to a college. Only I could accidentally apply to a college. I mean, who does that?! So anyway they sent me a letter asking that I send my transcripts to them. Once I do they said they will try to make their decision in 48 hours!!!! I really don't know what to do now. I know if they accept me I don't have to go there if I don't want but I feel like I should've visited before I applied. I know I should talk to my parents about this but I don't know how or when to bring it up. I really should talk to them before I send my transcripts but I really kind of just want to send them and see what happens before I say anything. Ahhhh!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts