The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering buying one of these used Fabtron trail saddles for my paint horse. I don't have any other specs on them...all I know is I need a 17" and I like the idea that they're lighter in weight due to the cordura.

The asking price is $400 for the first one--saddle, cinch and rear cinch. The second is definitely the "Lady Trail" model (which stood out to me shopping online) and they're asking $500 and comes with matching bridle, halter, reins, breast collar, etc.

The saddle I have seems to be a pretty good fit (my horse is very sway-backed and is still being rehabbed for a terrible top line) but it's very heavy and very stiff and I'm just not in love with it. With a new pad though, the fit is quite good. No signs of bridging except right atop his spine and we're filling that area in.

I've already seen saddle #1 in person and it seems flatter/lower, which my BM mentioned might be a better fit. I can't really try them on him as one's two hours away and the other, the owner hasn't seemed keen on bringing it to me. I could always ask outright though.

Thoughts? I really have no idea what I'm doing. That's obvious, I'm sure. :p

***I think I posted this in the wrong place...maybe a mod can move it. Thanks! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

The 1st one sells New for about 475.00

The 2nd sells New of for about 575.00

Even with the accessories, I would value the 1st one used about 275.00-300.00

The 2nd one about 375.00-400.00

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I do think the prices are a bit steep as well. Which is why I'm not in a rush to purchase...figuring I might as well buy new than used if there's not a huge difference.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

PS, the Lady Trail has a Full QH Bar and 7" Gullet, the other Model I think is a 6.75" Reg. QH bar.

With a Model number from the other saddle, I can look it up and tell you for sure what Tree it has in it :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

PS, the Lady Trail has a Full QH Bar and 7" Gullet, the other Model I think is a 6.75" Reg. QH bar.

With a Model number from the other saddle, I can look it up and tell you for sure what Tree it has in it :wink:

Would that be likely to make them suitable for a swaybacked horse? The no-name that he came with fits well in that regard but it's just so stiff and heavy.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice! The Lady Trail is more $$ and farther away, so the other one would be easier to deal with! A trainer I'm working with thinks our current saddle is too narrow but that the Fabtron would be a good one to try.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the other hand...LOL.

I think the trainer said I should go with full quarter horse bars cause Sher is very stalky and his swayback isn't all that bad.

Oh why does this have to be so hard? LOL

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Bear in mind, is not just about the bars or the gullet width only, but also the angle of the bars, if the angle is wrong, the bars pinch the Horse.

Averages:

Semi-qh Bars 20" long 6.5" gullet with a 86-88 degree bar angle
Reg-qh bars 21" long 6.75" gullet with a 88-90 degree angle
Full-qh bars 22" long 7.0 gullet with a 90-92 degree angle

If your Horse needs a semi or regular tree, the full tree would cause a ton of problems...

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
You know, as someone who has saddle shopped a lot, even the terms "quarter horse bars, "semi-quarter horse bars" and "full quarter horse bars" means very little. "Full" will be your widest, but not all fulls will fit the same, not all "quarter horse bars" will fit the same, etc. Some will have good flare in the bars, some will be flat and bridge, etc.

I've really found saddles to be a crap-shoot. You really don't know how well they fit until you've ridden in them a lot. It can look good at first and cause white hairs or rubbing later. Not to mention fitting the rider. I've found seats that try to force me into weird positions, feel like I'm sitting on a camel hump, etc.

The good news is if you don't overpay you can usually get your money back out of them if they don't fit. Try not to overpay on a used saddle. I do like your idea of going new if the price is similar. I take good care of my tack and would rather buy new and take care of it. BUT, if it ends up not working for your or your horse you will loose some money on it. Then again, if you overpay on a used saddle you will still loose some money on it. I would rather be stuck with a near-new saddle and loose a little money than overpay for a used one.

But actually, I generally buy used now. When you are not actually saddle shopping, you tend to find good deals and collect used saddles because you can't passed up a good deal. When you actually NEED a saddle a good deal is no-where to be found. Such is life! :lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm torn. *sigh* I might go with the $400 one just because it's closer to me. I have a gut feeling that it will fit well. That might not be very scientific but I think it's gotta fit better than what I've got, at least!

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Well, I'm torn. *sigh* I might go with the $400 one just because it's closer to me. I have a gut feeling that it will fit well. That might not be very scientific but I think it's gotta fit better than what I've got, at least!
Ask the seller to give you the Model number, that way we can see what tree it has in it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tip! I haven't been able to get a hold of her but the ad is still up. Will keep trying. :)

I asked the second saddle's owner for additional info and she said:
The tree form is B. The gullet is 7" wide and the bar flare is 13". Its a regular full quarter horse bar. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up getting saddle #1 and paying full asking price. LOL

It fits really well and it's really comfy and flexible. He behaved a lot better in it that in my original or even my trainer's saddle!

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
I ended up getting saddle #1 and paying full asking price. LOL

It fits really well and it's really comfy and flexible. He behaved a lot better in it that in my original or even my trainer's saddle!
Congratulations, I like Fabtron compared to some of the other synthetics

I suspected it would be a better fit than the 2nd one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering the outcome!!

I just came on to get some info on a new saddle for my new horse who is also swaybacked and I have been considering the same saddle!! I just found that to be a sign when I started reading and saw your post....so I am VERY curious as to the outcome; has it worked out over time?? My plan is to order the Fabtron Lady Flex also in 17in with a special swayback pad with it....I see that yours is similar if not the same! The horse I am buying for is an older horse who is very aim to please and I want to make sure that she stays that way! Her comfort is my priority and so I cant wait to hear how your tale ends....I am hoping well!! Thanks for posting!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.