The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Ive been looking into potential new horses for myself and have come across one that im absolutely star struck by. Now, my knowledge for linings for quarter horses is pretty limited because ive never really had to care about them before because ive mostly only had apps or X’s. Just out of curiosity, opinion on these lines?

note: this is the potential horses sire

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
I'm a big DocBar fan. Lines are just that lines - especially when the greats are further back. This is only half of the ancestry as well. The horse needs to stand on his own merits. Ask yourself what your goals are, what is his personality, does he have a good mind, does he have good confirmation for what you want him for, what can he/is he doing now or if too young to be ridden then what are they advertising as his potential, what do his parents and siblings do and do well, what do they look like...

Do you know the mare side? Post pics of the horse.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I love the breeding on this horse. If the horse is balanced with good legs/feet and conformation, I would buy that pedigree without riding it first. I love Doc Bars. What are your plans for the horse? Photos?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to get the actual papers. I rode him today and he was an absolute dream!! I plan to try a bit of cutting on him, a lot of trail riding and maybe see how he does under an english saddle eventually. I dont have great photos but ill show you what I have. no conformation photos though. sorry to disappoint.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Oh, I like this pony! He has a kind eye, nice cow pony build, LOVE the Doc Bar horses - but they need a job and can get a little testy if you're a jerk to them (I have a geriatric Doc Bar grandson and he's a perfect gentleman... unless you've gotten on his bad side, then he'll trash you).

Got some Poco Bueno in there, lots of Doc Anything, Peptoboonsmal is a b.a. cutting horse and a legendary producer.

Your boy's color likely comes in from Pepto.

Reactions: 281187

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Pepto crossed on the Freckles Playboy on the sires top side is a classic cross for both cutting and reined cow horse. A lot of foundation.
Cute horse, I'd buy him if he rode good.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'd buy him. He looks a little scrawny, but with some good feed and conditioning that should clear up. The slight sickle hocks behind is pretty normal in a cutting/reining horse. That breeding is versatile, cowy, and has a good mind. Train him well and treat him fairly and you'll have a partner for life. My favorite thing about the Doc Bar/Freckles horses is their ability to unwind after a loose cow/horse like lightning, then come back and walk on loose rein a minute later. The best trail/ranch horse I ever had was bred very similarly to this. Smart, sane, and versatile and she'd do anything you asked of her. Put her after a cow and she was aggressive and fast, put a child on her and she'd mosey along like an old plug going only as fast as the little one was comfortable, and she was was infallible in rough country.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.