The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering everyone's opinions on the Wintec 500 all purpose saddle. Personally I love it. It was introduced to me by my trainer, as she uses them on every one of her horses which are the horses I take lessons on. They are super comfortable and I have never had a sore bottom after riding in one. I also think they have nice colors. I just got one for my new mare in brown, it looks gorgeous. I think it is a great budget saddle and honestly, if I had the choice between this and a $2000 saddle, i would choose the Wintec. I do not fancy the CAIR panels though, I hear a lot of bad things about them pinching the horse's back. What are some other opinions on this saddle?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The "New" Wintecs are great, lovely flocking (Not the Cair ones) and a great shape, far better than the old rather banana shaped ones.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I haven't used the new ones but when I was a kid I had one of the old ones as a sort of first saddle. I really liked it then.

It served it's purpose I guess, and so light and easy to care for which is perfect as a kids saddle. The easy change gullet can be great too for changes in season, or even riding other horses. I can see how they would be the perfect riding school saddle!

However, from my perspective now I wouldn't buy that saddle again. I don't think a saddle should lock you in, but I think a beginner's saddle should make the correct position really easy to ride in. Have a balanced seat that encourages you to bring your leg under you. The wintec 500 AP does not do. Few APs do. Really, the 500 AP doesn't help the rider at all. In comparison, so many saddles are out there that do help the rider, and that are super comfortable. If you have the opportunity to try out different, good saddles then take it! You might find something completely different.

I do think that the Wintec is one of the best saddles in it's price range, and a great synthetic easy care option but not one that I'd get again. I do still have a 500 Dressage that I don't really use anymore, I preferred that to the AP and probably would recommend that as a first saddle.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I haven't used the new ones but when I was a kid I had one of the old ones as a sort of first saddle. I really liked it then.

It served it's purpose I guess, and so light and easy to care for which is perfect as a kids saddle. The easy change gullet can be great too for changes in season, or even riding other horses. I can see how they would be the perfect riding school saddle!

However, from my perspective now I wouldn't buy that saddle again. I don't think a saddle should lock you in, but I think a beginner's saddle should make the correct position really easy to ride in. Have a balanced seat that encourages you to bring your leg under you. The wintec 500 AP does not do. Few APs do. Really, the 500 AP doesn't help the rider at all. In comparison, so many saddles are out there that do help the rider, and that are super comfortable. If you have the opportunity to try out different, good saddles then take it! You might find something completely different.

I do think that the Wintec is one of the best saddles in it's price range, and a great synthetic easy care option but not one that I'd get again. I do still have a 500 Dressage that I don't really use anymore, I preferred that to the AP and probably would recommend that as a first saddle.
Wintecs don't lock you in? and the New Wintecs 500s are totally different to anything you would have used as a kid. I did not like the old style ones, but I can put myself into a very good position in my GP and regularly have dressage lessons in it (I sold my gorgeous leather dressage saddle because the New Wintec was a better fit! even though the dressage was a good fit). Never had a problem getting my leg under me.:)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I was meaning that saddles shouldn't lock you, but they should "guide" you into the right position, and I feel that Wintec (the older ones at least) don't do either. You can ride in a good position in these saddles, but they don't really help you with it or put you there, which as a beginner I think a saddle should until you work out how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I had the 500 with CAIR and loved it. It was comfortable and fit all my horses very well. Only sold it to a help pay for a dressage saddle. A Wintec, of course!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I bought a wintec with CAIR for my youngster as he was changing shape and building up so fast there was little point in buying a saddle I would have to replace!

I LOVED it. Great saddle, great price and easy to look after.

I did sell it to buy a leather one though, you can't beat a good leather saddle IMO. I bought mine second hand from a saddler.. absolutely loved it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the 500 dressage and I love it. It's the most comfortable english saddle I've ridden in and looks great for the price. My horse also seems to like it more than my old english saddle to. She moves so much better in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.