The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all,
I’m currently using a Tom Thumb on one of my horses. I’m not a fan of the bit in general, but since my horse is light it’s not been a big issue. However, I’m looking for a different curb bit to buy. I want the swivel cheeks and I want to get a bit that’s at least decent. Wouldn’t mind a low port either. I don’t have a lot to spend right now so I’m curious on your opinions on the quality of these three bit and why ones better than the other, or what you’d get instead of the ones I have shown here. The two reinsman bits look super similar but what makes the prices so far apart? One is a gaited bit and I’m also wondering what makes it a gaited bit and why and why not for any horse. Thanks!
Font Circle Jewellery Fashion accessory Silver
Font Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Auto part Circle

Material property Font Circle Fashion accessory Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
16,078 Posts
All 3 bits are similar in mouthpiece design.
They all will have independent side action so if you must ride with 2 hands, it works.
They all have a slight sweep, the bend to the shank, which give a bit of advance warning to the horse a communication is arriving.
Shanks appear pretty even in length, the longer the shank the more pressure is exerted on the horse.
Where I see differences is the purchase...the loop where the headstall attaches. The length away from the actual mouthpiece also dictates a leverage point felt by the horse...closer is less leverage is my understanding.
Depending totally on what your horse needs, any of those bits is a nice choice.

I'll add another for you to check into is Billy Allen mouthpiece bits...again a similar design to the actual mouthpiece, comes on many alloys the horse may find to encourage saliva and softening of the mouth...and it comes in many shank styles, lengths, sweep or as a "snaffle" design which means headstall and rein attach on the same ring...
I've never heard bad on this configured bit and seems many horses like them and work well in them.
There are to many to show, but all of those places you found the bits you referenced have the Billy Allen mouth bits too...
Don't forget Amazon or Ebay cause you can find "new" from more manufacturers if interested and delivered to your doorstep.
Happy shopping.
🐴... jmo...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All 3 bits are similar in mouthpiece design.
They all will have independent side action so if you must ride with 2 hands, it works.
They all have a slight sweep, the bend to the shank, which give a bit of advance warning to the horse a communication is arriving.
Shanks appear pretty even in length, the longer the shank the more pressure is exerted on the horse.
Where I see differences is the purchase...the loop where the headstall attaches. The length away from the actual mouthpiece also dictates a leverage point felt by the horse...closer is less leverage is my understanding.
Depending totally on what your horse needs, any of those bits is a nice choice.

I'll add another for you to check into is Billy Allen mouthpiece bits...again a similar design to the actual mouthpiece, comes on many alloys the horse may find to encourage saliva and softening of the mouth...and it comes in many shank styles, lengths, sweep or as a "snaffle" design which means headstall and rein attach on the same ring...
I've never heard bad on this configured bit and seems many horses like them and work well in them.
There are to many to show, but all of those places you found the bits you referenced have the Billy Allen mouth bits too...
Don't forget Amazon or Ebay cause you can find "new" from more manufacturers if interested and delivered to your doorstep.
Happy shopping.
🐴... jmo...
Thank you for your answer! That helped me find what I decided on. Reinsman Billy Allen stride right roller bit. The billy Allen mouthpiece is actually what I wanted in my head but I wasn’t finding it at all because I didn’t remember what they were called. Thank you!

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,445 Posts
Check out The Perfect Bit, you can design it to exactly what you want. Horses really like them as well. And they are NCHA legal.

·
Registered
50,331 Posts
Actually, the first and third bit are similar ,but the second is different. The first and third are 'double jointed with a roller middle". That is not the same action as a 'Billy Allen' type mouthpiece, as is the middle/second bit in your examples. That bit has less flexibility and functions more as a solid mouthpiece than the first and third options you showed.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If he likes the TT try a jointed argentine (I refuse to call it an Argentine snaffle because it is NOT a snaffle). TSC carries them. They've got a better shaped mouthpiece and the shanks are designed to give the horse some warning.

But if he rides well in the TT and you don't need to change because of competition rules, then I'd let it be. TTs aren't bad if the horse is light and responds well to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts