The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I bought a filly that really needs to put on some weight so after some time evaluating her. I decided it’s best if I put her on a supplement.
Dumor weight booster has a good reputation!
What are y’all opinions on it and testimonies?
Before and after photos of y’all’s horses, also would be a help!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
After trying various powders to gain weight, I believe there are better products out there. I personally don't like the DuMOR products, I just believe that there are better brands out there, like Buckeye and Triple Crown. I tried finding nutrient information online for the DuMOR products (specifically the senior feed as a comparison), and the information just isn't there. Going off of reviews I am reading about DuMOR products, you get what you pay for. Almost every comment I've read about DuMOR is "Spend a couple extra bucks and get a Purina/Buckeye/Triple Crown product", you get what you pay for.

More info on the mare could help others give you recommendations on other products to try...age, breed, work level, hay type you are feeding, what else you are feeding.

Most horses won't just eat a powder like this by itself, so what other pellets/hay cubes/beet pulp are you wanting to feed with it? Usually things like complete feeds, hay cubes, beet pulp, etc. are the first step to gaining weight, not a weight gain powder.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
What are you currently feeding? Hay what kind how much by weight? Feed what kind how much by weight?

Is horse current on worming have teeth been checked? Has she been currently seen by a vet, thoroughly examination done recently? Current pictures would be helpful.

Until we have more info other then needs weight and breed age. Really can't give good advice.

Dumor is a low quality brand ,better option then that for sure.

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
I read reviews from the Tractor Supply site...
Most people are using this on older horses, hard-keepers not on young animals...

What are you feeding her now and how much of each thing?
Please give in pounds fed as all products ingested are measure by pounds not scoops or flakes in size.

Hay? Type? Amount in weight?
Feed? Exactly what and how much, how often?

Supplements are exactly that...a supplemental addition.
Supplements are not to be fed as a ration but added to the full ration already being fed called top-dressing.

To me a filly is anything between birth and one-year of age...a huge growth stage of life.
How old is your filly?
Could she be going through a growth spurt?
I would be hesitant to truly fatten up a filly of unknown age {to us} as overloading her body structure of joints, muscle, tendon and ligaments, forget her organs can be very risky.
Proceed with great caution.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I would do the triple crown junior feed. Actually, read the packages because you may be able to do the mare and foal one. That has all the good stuff in it and it's a full source. Then you can use the weight booster if you need it but I'm thinking maybe add enrich?

Are you sure she just isn't gangly looking because she's growing?

Reactions: ClearDonkey

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’ve never had a youngster, but I have had excellent results on rescue horses with Amplify, also available at Tractor Supply and other feed stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She’s on paddock with access to a round bale. She’s 1yo, she’ll be two in October. She came to me super under weight!

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
I like Senior Weight Accelerator by Manna Pro. Next for use when I could not get that was CoolCals (they objected to this one but I could add to calf manna and they eat it) then Amplify. Not quite as fast gain with Amplify but not as expensive for amount I needed to use. Stores had neither so I bought DUmor. It is the only fat product that has given mine the runs.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Think you need more then a weight gain powder. That looks like an unthrifty wormy horse to me. More issues then just putting some weight on her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(Picture related.) like l said this isn’t so recent, she’s on a nice deworming schedule, she’s shedding out and has passed serval vet look-at.

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
Wow...she looked terribly kept.
Worm-load among other issues sounds like you have already addressed.

I would still be very hesitant to make her plump if she was so thin her body needs time to repair damages inside unseen before you dump a ton of weight on her and those joints let alone her internal organs.
What does your vet say and recommend about the extra weight you want too put on the filly?
I think I would rather it come on slow and steady than rush it and overwhelm the body still recovering from poor care given previous to you getting her.

Food appropriate for her age fed, good quality feed fed...
If she's on a round bale she has unlimited access to eat as she needs, when she needs and how much she needs by instinct.
Is she by herself or with other horses?
Is she able to eat all her food and rations undisturbed from others so she benefits from what you are feeding her?
Wish you had a more recent picture of her "molting" as she is so hidden under that fur...hard to see if it is growth gangly-uglies or actual serious weight loss she suffers from.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She’s being kept with two dominant horses, and she’s being grain fed dumor. She isn’t gain weight as fast as all my other projects. This led to me wondering if I should add some supplements or switching to triple crown junior until she’s. Back at normal healthy weight.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
That's actually improvement. I just think the round bale is not enough. I would suggest two feedings of a full source feed twice a day. Three if you have time to do it. I really like the Triple Crown feed, the junior horse or the mare and foal. I can't remember the mare and foal... I think it's up to a year but you'd have to read the label.

I also have had good luck with the purina brand of junior horse feed. The round bale is ok for forage but as a growing baby that came from a poor nutrition start...I'd definitely go ahead and pay a little extra for good nutrition.

There is definitely improvement from the first picture and this one though.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
She’s being kept with two dominant horses, and she’s being grain fed dumor. She isn’t gain weight as fast as all my other projects. This led to me wondering if I should add some supplements or switching to triple crown junior until she’s. Back at normal healthy weight.
I actually mix the dumor sweet (just a little bit) in with the low calorie Triple Crown that I'm giving my mare that is on a huge diet. Dumor is a great affordable feed for easy keepers but not for a growing baby - although I believe they do have a junior version that may be a full source. Check that out and see what you think. Other option would be to add enrich to the diet. The enrich is about 30 dollars a bag though so the full source feed for junior horses (no matter the brand) will probably be less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great! I’m trying to get around to driving into town, feed is kinda pricey. (You get what you pay for) how long does one bag last of the junior feed if I’m feeding two times a day?

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Great! I’m trying to get around to driving into town, feed is kinda pricey. (You get what you pay for) how long does one bag last of the junior feed if I’m feeding two times a day?
It depends on how much you are feeding. I think I was doing 1 bag per week with mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Local feed store doesn’t carry the growth, junior or mare and foal feed. I’m more leaning to triple crown. Is there any other suggestions for this yearling? One bag per week sounds like a giant hole in my pocket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts