The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah. I hate seeing the 'ono' after a price- how much do you offer without sounding rude, or to beat other people making a better offer?

I wanted to know from buyers, sellers, or anyone what you would consider a fair amount to knock off from a horse's 'ONO' price, if the horse was healthy, passed PPE, and was what it said on the wrapper.

I'm trying to sell Duffy, as you all know, and her price is 4650VHB- which is ONO... but I don't know whether I would say yes to a huge knock off, or what I would expect for people to offer.. will it be much lower, higher etc?

TIA

·
Banned
1,689 Posts
It's really up to you.

Fix in your mind a rock bottom price that you will take and politely refuse any offers below that. And without knowing your financial situation, which is absolutely none of my business, I couldn't tell you what that price should be.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh, financial isn't so much of an issue, that's not why I'm selling her... of course the most is best ;)

What it is mainly is if you see a horse with ono planted after the price, how much leaning do you reckon you can do.. I have a price set in my mind, as to what I don't want to go under, than an absolute no less than number, but rather than post, I'm more interested in what people think when they see those three little letters..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Duffy--

In horse trading, as in buying used cars, I think a little negotiotation is assumed...whether you say "best offer" or not.

Set a price at what you feel is fair plus a little extra. Know your absolute bottom line...

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
The ono or obo tells a buyer that you are willing to give some. How much is up to you but with that in an ad, most if not all prospective buyers will try to talk you down. Decide for yourself what she is truly worth and what your bottom dollar is.

I don't know what the market is like there but here where the horse market is in the crapper, most folks will wiggle quite a bit on price. I picked up a mare for some friends (they loved her papers & she was a looker - they had no issue with her asking price) however when we went to check her out, she bulled up a bit when I rode her and then was a witch to load in the trailer. I capitalized on those issues and they took her home for 1/2 her asking price.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her price is not unfair, and lowest I am willing to go is 4200, preferable 4300-4500, but we will have to see.
I think the biggest thing I have going is there is no immediate rush, and if I start her jumping, take her to a competition or two etc the price goes up as she has more life experience ;)

Thanks guys... we will see what happens!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much mildot :)

She's improved even since then.. her lenghtening of her strides is much better.. and we can canter in to corners now without motorbiking them!

I put a lunging video up somewhere too... really shows her movement off to the best, and the potential ;)

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mls... I know I would try it on and barter, but then I only got 100 knocked off Duffy's price in the first place as she desperately required a farrier, and if I didn't pay for it, the girl would have had to...

Providing its not too low, I'll be happier for her to go to a good home- one can only hope!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Personally I wouldn't put OBO on a price. To me, OBO means the seller is willing to give a LOT of leeway in the price, so I don't expect to pay anywhere near the asking price.

Even with flat stated price, people will bargain a bit but it tends to eliminate the "oh that $10,000 horse you have? How about $200" folks.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, thats interesting... but on the other side, I always look for a horse that has been under priced, or a price I feel I can get a deal on- I also put Duffy's price up more than what I want for her so that it can be knocked down and I don't feel like I have made a loss...

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I sold my mare I knew what I was willing to take. I'm a horrible negotiator though. When the right family came and asked what I'd be willing to sell her for I told them my bottom price. There is a little regret in that as I probably could have gotten more if I hadn't slumped so fast. Owell, she's at the right place.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
I don't know...I like OBO myself. When I was breeding, I never advertised my Araloosas, because I had a waiting list for those, but I did advertise my Appys. I sold maybe 20% of them for more than my asking price because of advertising them OBO, so from the seller's perspective it can go both ways...

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Hmmmm.... It's a tough one. "N" means negotiation, right? (I've never seen ONO, just OBO). Frankly, I'd go without one. Many buyers try to negotiate the price anyway.

As for OBO, it's always confusing... Does it mean if I agree to buy a horse of advertised price and someone will come after me and offers $200 more then the owner drops me off? Unrelated to this thread BTW, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I have to agree, I think (typically) everyone should be negotiable and price high. When I price something, I never put what I think is "fair" price. I have a fair price in my head, and I price something based on the assumption I'll be negotiating down. Shay-la priced Eve at $3,500 knowing she wanted $3,000 for her. Hey, maybe you get lucky and someone is willing to pay the full price! But I ALWAYS have a price in my head as to what I want to get, and then I adopt a slightly higher price.

If I'm buying something on Kijiji, I'll go uber cheapskate and offer like half the asking price (ie. a pair of boots for $100). The worst they can say is no, and if they have no better offers, I may get really lucky and get them for super cheap!

I wouldn't lowball a horse so much like that probably. If someone was asking $4,500 for example, I'd likely ask if they'd take $4,000. Horses in that range always seem to work in the "$500 range". Kind of like houses in terms of a thousand dollars at a time when making offers.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Hmmmm.... It's a tough one. "N" means negotiation, right? (I've never seen ONO, just OBO). Frankly, I'd go without one. Many buyers try to negotiate the price anyway.

As for OBO, it's always confusing... Does it mean if I agree to buy a horse of advertised price and someone will come after me and offers $200 more then the owner drops me off? Unrelated to this thread BTW, I'm just curious.
the N = Near.
ONO = Or Near Offer.

Personaly i wouldnt accept an offer that was over £500 less than what I advertised for, but I might throw in saddlery as well depending on the value of the horse.

If buying a horse advertised as £XXXX ONO I will offer about £1000 less and then expect to end up at around £500 less then XXX. Obviously for horses who are advertised for lesss than £1000 I'd amend that to offering about £200 less. For horses advertised in the 5 figure region I'd ammend my off to offering a few thousand less.

·
Registered
15,996 Posts
When I advertise and price horses for sale, most are OBO, so if I put 2500 OBO, my bottom line is probably around 2000. When I price a horse $5000 firm, I mean it. I'm not coming off that money for anything, I will keep the horse first.

To answer the person who wondered about if someone came along and offered $200 more than your offer, it would depend. If I had said, "I'll get back to you" but hadn't outright accepted your offer, then I would offer you the option to raise your price at least $200 if not higher if you really want the horse. If you offered, say $2000 and I had said, "I can do that, I'll make up a bill of sale" then doesn't matter if someone offers $10K more, I won't take it, I've closed the deal.

On most OBO's I expect at least 10-20% lower on the first offer. I always counter back and see if we can meet in the middle. So, $5000, offers $4000, I'll come back at $4750 and hope we can settle at $4500. And generally, that's going to be my bottom line. $5000, I'll take $4500, to someone I just LOVE, maybe I'd go $4250.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Personaly i wouldnt accept an offer that was over £500 less than what I advertised for, but I might throw in saddlery as well depending on the value of the horse.
With horses though, a PPE can turn up things that the seller has no idea exist which then affect the value of the horse.

I offered significantly less than the asking price for my gelding because of what his PPE X-rays showed and I KNOW the seller had zero clue that the x-rays would show he has a bit of side bone in one leg. He was 4 and extremely lightly started, so it had never caused him an issue (and still hasn't) and he'd never had any lameness issues that would make the seller feel the need to do any x-rays.

Seller agreed with me that his existing condition affected his value. If it wasn't for the PPE findings, I would have agreed with her that she was asking a fair price and would have paid it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.