The Horse Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My immediate response is no. even people who have had horses for a while often don't want to get OTTB's because of all of their health issues, requiring lots of feed and shoes, and often being high-strung. I recommend not doing an OTTB unless you are buying one that is older and already trained to jump, not one fresh off the track. Even then, not a great idea. Buying an OTTB fresh off the track, even though you are working with a trainer will likely be mostly frustrating for you because instead of progressing your riding you have to focus on training them or not be able to ride at all and have your trainer work with them. I would compare most fresh OTTB's to green horses and I don't know if you've heard the saying yet, but green and green make black and blue. (a green horse and a green rider will only end in accidents and frustration)

Honestly since you have only been riding for 3 months I would suggest either leasing or if you are set on buying a horse, get a 'step up horse' (they are more responsive than lesson horses but still easy to learn on). This will stop you from getting frustrated and overwhelmed, leasing or buying a horse that is easy for you to handle will allow you to focus on your riding instead of training your horse. You will learn a lot more this way, trust me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts