The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi!

it looks like you have not been riding for very long, which is of course fine, everyone is continuing to learn and even the pros had to start from zero and work their way up. it is good that u are taking 2 lessons a week, that will be helpful and so so soooo useful in progressing faster.

I do not think u should get an OTTB. OTTB's are GREAT horses, very athletic, responsive, and overall great horses to ride. But.... they do come from the track. A lot of OTTB's need retraining after they come from the track because they are just taught to GO. Most horses that come from the track are fresh and green (green means unexperienced), which could be dangerous for a newer rider to handle. they also tend to have less muscle mass, and come to the buyer skinny, so it would take a lot of time to build muscle.

I don't know how good you are, but I would personally lease before buying. I lease and it is wonderful. You get to experience different types of horses and figure out which types you like and which types you don't. You don't have to pay as much money, and its just a really good plan before buying.

Ive ridden for 6 years now, 1 year very seriously riding. Ive just now gotten ok at controlling the horse I ride, after riding him in lessons for a few weeks. I am a good rider (I think), I can gallop, canter, trot, walk with no stirrups, bareback, no hands, and with a saddle as well. I would say that my jumping is coming together nicely, my form is pretty good. even a person who has more experience like me has trouble controlling him at times.

so, in conclusion I would say to either be very careful and picky about which OTTB to buy, or lease, or buy a horse that has been there done that and can teach you a lot.

don't stress too much about buying rn, just enjoy riding :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, frankie....you sort of have this backwards...
Green and inexperienced to be regular riding horses, they were trained to race.... perfect.
Horses fresh from the track have good if not great muscle mass for racing but no fat on the frame, so may appear skinny.
A truly fit racing horse may appear skinny to untrained eyes but are rarely that...they are racing fit versus riding fat and sometimes fit. More accuracy is this and how it is presented.
Did you not look at the pictures and videos everywhere of this years Kentucky Derby winner....there is a vast difference in what you make comment on..that horse is racing fit too, but built different than the one pictured below.

This below are pictures of the stallion in breeding condition named Secretariat...please notice the physique he has and muscle mass he shows yet, many years past his racing days....
Stallions in active breeding season are preferred to be a bit heavier as they fret and drop weight easily on busy days...and the second is him racing fit with his groom Eddie in attendance he always had all his life. The third picture is Ron Turcotte, his jockey up who he won the Triple Crown with astride and horse race fit.
View attachment 1128797 View attachment 1128798 View attachment 1128799

Not every horse is "skinny" as you make comment but racing fit...
As is true of many horses, the conformation of the animal has much to do with how a horse appears in race-fit trim.
Thoroughbreds are supposed to have a show of ribs ripple when moving....actually all horses are supposed to is a quick way to see are they fat or not...

The last 2 are just because I love them of "Big Red"...
The last two pictures are Belmont Day which he won destroying the field and record books...
Even in these he is as race fit as a animal can be, muscles rippling as he raced for home...
View attachment 1128800 View attachment 1128801
Muscle mass....oh, that horse had muscle-mass and topline too...
🐴....
Hi. I didn't watch the Kentucky derby, I am against horse racing in general and I think it CAN BE cruel. of course there are exceptions.

im guessing the rider of the post is not going to get a triple crown winner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts