The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 4 yr old OTTB back in February and they claim he was pulled from racing because he wouldn't hold any shoes, fronts or backs. they went to glue ons and still did not hold. He's been barefoot since I bought him and I've been using durasole and keretex to harden up his feet. He is lame on his right front hoof and it seems that the sole is peeling in the toe area. He has also chipped off a good portion of the outerwall. What does everyone see with this hoof and any recommendations. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hi, I am not an expert but do have a horse with challenging feet.

My horse is a senior and had many years of bad hoof care so she will be in glue on shoes forever. But your horse is young. I would think that you could use them transitionally till the hoof improves. If needed. If they didn't stay on they probably were not applied with the right amount of preparation done to the feet. You need a hoof person that does several glue on shoe horses a week, not rarely. You also have to make sure that the feet are being trimmed properly before the application.

If that horse were mine, I would first try getting a good barefoot trim and then ordering a pair of pasture boots like the easycare clouds and then also getting a pair of riding hoof boots such as the gloves and have your farrier heat fit them to your horse.

I would make sure your horse isn't stalled and has room to constantly roam a bit. I would avoid grass pasture and stick with grass hay and supplement accordingly. You can use hoof supplement such as biotin but results won't be seen for around 9 months till the new hoof has grown out a bit.

There are hoof people on here that can advise you better on diet and hoof care.

If it was me, I would have a vet out to examine for the lameness.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
In those top solar shots he appears to have a lot of retained sole, with bars imbedded
Frogs are thrushy and he needs a good hoof mapping, with a bevel put on the walls

·
Super Moderator
22,809 Posts
Hard to tell from just those angles but seems that his soles are VERY thin & flat. I'd be ensuring he was booted/padded for work, for added protection under P3. It's possible the toe is 'peeling' due to using 'hardeners' which tend to make material brittle if overused. Possibly a stone bruise/abscess.

He also looks like his bars are a bit overgrown & there is no thickness to his walls on that foot - he may be genetically 'thin skinned', & it is also commonly that diet & nutrition effects this too - you can see in one pic the big difference in growth quality of the wall, I assume since you got him. Racehorses are fed 'high octane' fuel that is commonly detrimental to their feet.

Then the other pics, of the 'chipped' feet... Are these before & after trim pics? If so, the 'befores' are chipped because they've been left too long. Being weak also makes them look messier. His heels are also overlong & forward in that pic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts