The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ulcers are the first thing I think of when someone mentions an OTTB with GI upset. Additionally, you've just brought him back into training which is the #1 reason we see ulcers in horses. Why wasn't he scoped for ulcers if there was hindgut bleeding? If you don't want to scope, you should at least try treating with 2 weeks of omeprazole (gastroguard) but it is recommended to have ulcers properly diagnosed before treating, largely because of the cost involved with the treatment. Good luck with him. My OTTB has ulcer issues too, but we keep them under control with ucler guard from Smartpak which seems to help alot, once proper treatment with gastroguard has been done.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ulcers in horses are not exclusively found in the stomach, they can be in any part of the GI. A recent study published in JAVMA demonstrated that any kind of work/training changes are stressful enough on horses to induce ulcers, including light riding three times per week. You're throwing so much at this horse suppliment-wise, and I just don't understand why you're not investigating the most common problem.

Additionally, there is significant evidence that supplimenting with pro-biotics and pre-biotics can actually have detrimental effects on your horse's flora and fauna. Personally I would be worried if I found blood anywhere in the gut of a horse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.