The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an OTTB eight weeks ago and he has stomach issues. He has cow pie poop. He had been off the track for 18 months. For the last six months he was just out to pasture. For the first six weeks we worked with a trainer and for the last two I have been working with him.

First we tried probiotics and a bio-sponge. That did nothing. The vet came out and he tested positive for hindgut bleeding. He had a powerpac and zemectrin gold because we thought it may be related to worms, but there has been no improvement.

He does light work, is on LS performance feed, omegatin, probiotic and a flax seed supplement. We took him off of all of his supplements for a few days and that did nothing. I have ordered smartdigest ultra and smart calm from smartpaks. He is thin but not skinny and does not seem to be in any pain. He is only turned out with a mare that he likes quite a bit. What could be the problem? We are all at a loss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No improvement

He is already on prebiotics and I have ordered supplements that have prebiotics, probiotics, enzymes, L-glutamine, and soothing agents. Also on the way is calming supplement in case he is stressed. His feed and the omegatin are supposed to be low in starch and in sugar. His "training" is very light. Actually, I have not ridden him in a week and that has done nothing. I really just don't know. The tests show hindgut bleeding but nothing in the stomach, although he has not been scoped. The vet does not seem to think anything needs to be done additionally, but this cannot be healthy for him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doing Better

He is doing much better. I have moved away from training him and have just been spending time with him. He seems to only have loose stool when he is upset about something (the farrier, saddling, being in a new pasture) and only while in the moment. He has started to gain weight and I am going to try and let him de-stress. The vet thinks that the supplements are fine for him and that he just needs more time to adjust. I do not know how honest the previous two owners were with me. He may need a lot more than I thought he did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.