The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting a OTTB and wondering what type of training he will need. He is a 7yr old, bay, gelding retired because of lack of winning. He is at a home now where he has been ridden western so, he is not fresh off the track. I would be training him english for hunters. So what things might help him to make the swich from western to english and tips on training a OTTB?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Honestly, the only thing that I believe is different between the disciplines is the contact on the reins. Which, I use to ride with contact and such in my roping saddle depending on what I was doing with the horse.
Shouldn't be too much to retrain in order to switch, but I'm sure you'll have to train all the jumping and exercises that go with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Same as training any other horse, they aren't crazy like people seem to think. And there's only minor differences when changing a horse from western to English (assuming the horse was ridden correctly western), a slight difference in canter cue and contact on the reins. Everything else should translate over fairly easy. I would work with a trainer also.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I wanted to add, the canter cues for every horse I've ridden/worked with/trained (english type and western type) have had the same cue. I'd never heard of a leg cue being any different between disciplines until a thread on here a couple weeks ago. I've taken horses from english to western riding and the cues I used western were just the same as the cue their english rider gave them. I think it's more the trainer than the discipline. I've also had western horses that cued opposite what I've always known.
I just can't see a cue being different.

And I'll say..I'd probably look into what his sire/grandsire threw. If I'd have known beforehand that Alahna had Storm Cat, I probably wouldn't have bought her and just called AC instead. Like I've been told quite a bit, the majority of foals out of his lines are either amazing, or athletic as all get out, but have a screw loose somewhere (Alahna, lol).
Obviously don't just go off lines, but I'd look into it..If I could go back I'd look into it more and I probably wouldn't have gotten her.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.