The Horse Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did a quick sketch just to see if I can grasp what should be going on. Does this seem okay? The outside should be taken down and the bars trimmed back, which would in turn bring those heels up a bit. Hope it makes sense!

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
The bars need to be trimmed, and the live sole at the seat of the corn identified. You can bring back and lower the heels as live sole allows
You have a fairly good idea as to what needs to be done
If you google ELPO youtube hoof mapping, you can see how the landmarks are identified, (true apex of the frog, where bars should end, ect, and where you want breakover to be. Just watching those two videos on hoof mapping, will help to make things clearer

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
First pic shows how very flat - and likely very thin - the front of his sole is. I think while he hasn't been obviously lame before, this is not an 'out of the blue' event, with hooves like that. I believe you are one who ensures your horse has regular hoof care - they're not greatly 'overdue' as far as timing of regular trimming. And if you have used the same farrier for a couple or more trims previously, I don't say this at all lightly, but I'm not sure that 'watching & learning from him' is a good move...

Attached are your pics, drawn on. ** This is for a ROUGH idea. The bars need trimming & sole cleaned out in order to 'map' the feet accurately. First pic shows approx where I imagine the front of the hoof 'should' be, assuming the top half of the hoof capsule is tight & it's only the bottom half that's flared like that. Second pic shows where I (educated guess) think the centre of the foot is, so approx where the toe 'should' be. The bearing surface of the heel(ground surface) should be back near the heel line - widest point of frog - and the red lines mark about where they are now. The bars should terminate(front end) about the centre of the foot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks loosie for the rough idea!
I have been having troubles with farriers for almost a year now. I had a great farrier who used to come out and helped me fix his quarter crack, but he broke off all association to me. Didn't return my calls, my messages, blocked me on Facebook, the whole works. It took me almost six months to find another farrier. This is my step father, he said he can fit me and Trouble in around his schedule since I couldn't find anyone else. He's only trimmed him twice now.
We moved and trouble was stuck three hours away at my fathers for the twelve weeks that I couldn't get him home so he had no hoof care. Now that he's here he's getting trimmed today. I'll upload photos of the after, so we can pick apart his work but right now he's all I have. I'm not confident enough to start trimming myself so I have to work with what I have. He knows I've been trying to learn though and I will show him the hoof mapping and see what he says.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts