The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah!!! Our first calf was born about an hour ago! I'm stuck at the pc working for the next 45 minutes but pictures will soon follow!!

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Aww... baby animals are so cute.

Waiting pictures!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is Alpha. She's our first heifer calf. She's a little black Angus calf. Guessing her weight to be in the mid 60's. She was a week early, so ignore the condition of the barn. This evening it's bedded down with some deep beautiful straw. (heck, I was even considering staying out there it looked so nice.

Sorry for the quality of the photos, all I had at the time was my cell phone.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Aw, I love calving season cause what follows is branding season and I love working calves. Do you need some help when the time comes?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Aw, I love calving season cause what follows is branding season and I love working calves. Do you need some help when the time comes?

Woot! Sure! As long as you bring Big John with you so I can adore and drool over him!!! :oops:

We are definately underway. Today we had a huge bull calf born. I swear he's twice the size of Alpha. His name will be Goliath. (and yes I do name...lol. I prefer to refer to names vs numbers.)

Ps. I love working cows ALMOST as much as I love training horses. I'm the happiest when I'm out there with them.

Here's Alpha 24 hrs later. (the heifer) She was trying to get in to see the new baby Goliath.

and here's the big boy about 20 minutes old.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Holy cow........literally. He is gonna be one big pretty boy when he grows up. Do you keep any of your babies as bulls or do you cut them all?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Smrobs- These are commercial cows so we don't keep any as bulls...BUT having said that, we bought two new bulls that are registered and are looking at getting a registered heifer and then any bull calf from them would stay a bull and be sold later.

Indyhorse- Yeah..he had a pretty big head and needed a bit of assistance to come into this world. But I'll say he was quick. Whereas Alpha took a couple of hrs to get up and moving around, Goliath took maybe a 1/2 hr to be sitting and a hr to start nursing!

Both of these calves are full angus. Our bulls are simmental, while a few of the heifers are angus. We run a simmental/sim-angus herd.

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
This new picture of her... She's adorable! I like Goliat is cute too :).

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
What a little beauty. Such a darling!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please welcome our newest bull calf (full angus..but then again, the last two cavles were solid angus as well). I've named him Ditto. Ditto's mom had been acting weird for two nights. Standing off in a corner not really eat or chewing her cud, just standing there. Last night at my midnight check, I mentioned it to my fiance and he was sure she was going to calve soon. But nothing at the 3 a.m. check either. At 5:45 a.m. I work up out of a sound sleep thinking I heard something. I laid there for a minute thinking I should get up and check but knew my fiance was going to check at 6..so I rolled over. She calved right at 5:45 a.m. cause when my fiance we out at 6 a.m. he was just on the ground and she was licking him. Teaches me to follow my gut the next time I feel I should go out and check.

Here's Ditto:

Updated pics:

Alpha (heifer)

Goliath (bull)

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Awww... What a piece of cuteness

Why baby animals have to be so adorable? :)

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Some sharp looking calves you have there, and boy do they clean up nice! How many total are you expecting out of this year?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
54 total!!

Updated total for today.

Calf 1. Ditto (bull)
Calf 2. Aqua (heifer)
Calf 3. Colt (bull)
Calf 4 expected this evening some time.

Ditto a few hrs old:

Aqua just born

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
54 total!!

Updated total for today.

Calf 1. Ditto (bull)
Calf 2. Aqua (heifer)
Calf 3. Colt (bull)
Calf 4 expected this evening some time.
These are just today's calves.

Total calves all together: 5 (3 bulls/2 heifers) with one on the way.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
They are simply adorable, by commercial cows you mean meat right? Just wondering... having a blond moment just wanting to be sure.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They are simply adorable, by commercial cows you mean meat right? Just wondering... having a blond moment just wanting to be sure.
Commercial just means the cattle are not papered.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.