The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to the barn yesterday, and decided to take pictures of all the animals.

This is Star. He is a 28 year old Quarter Horse. He is a recent victim of equine dentistry gone wrong. The left side of his face no longer has feeling! He is a very special guy.

IMG_0925.jpg

This is Spud. He too was done by the same dentist, and now has 'face' issues. My boyfriend is the only one he allows close to his face. He is 13 y.o. (I think) and is full TB. Super smart, and loves to play tag with my boyfriend :)

IMG_0933.jpg

This is Bella (my mare)She is a 28 y.o arabian. She has been through a lot this year, and now is in the clear :D On cold days she likes to sneak up behind me and stick her nose on my neck and blow hot air on me to watch me shiver....

IMG_0942.jpg

This is Teddy. He's is my (nearly) 3 year old daughter's pony. He is 11 now. Poor Teddy has been passed from kid to kid his whole life. We got him last year (Thanksgiving) for free. He is fully trained, and is an absolute doll with my daughter. He will always have a home with us even when my daughter out grows him lol.

This is Mayflower. She (and her owner) were victims of a bad boarder. The boarding facility they were at took their money, but didn't feed poor Mayflower. And with family troubles, her owners couldn't go see her, so by the time they got up to her, it was nearly too late! Mayflower is a TB in her early 20's, and we were having a hard time getting weight on her until we put her in the corral next to Bella... now the cute old ladies 'chat' and eat their food together :)

IMG_0922.jpg

This is Donnie, one of the two Donkeys on the property. Both donkeys were abandoned. Now they spend their days lying in the sun, and they LOVE little kids. All the neighborhood kids come by and give them carrots.

Then there are the 2 bunnies that were both abandonment cases. they are now happy and healthy :)

Well that's it for now... I hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wait, what do you mean by "Bad dentistry" Like... A bad teeth floating? Thats is incredibly odd! What was the procedure, if you don't mind me asking? I never thought something like that could happen.

All of your animals are just amazing. I miss my donkey so much =( Hug your donkeys for me!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
What gorgeous babies, all of them :D Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea there is an "equine dentist" out here, who we now know as a nightmare on wheels. She has this awesome trailer to do floating in, and they make it so nice sounding. Star was in the trailer for more than 3 hours!! sedated and all! They ground down ALL the teeth (including the front teeth) on both horses... so much so that the front bottom teeth were FLUSH with the gums!!! and all we could do is sit and wait because we weren't allowed in the trailer. They were long gone before the horses came to after being sedated, and by then my BO had to go to work. She got home 6 hours later to Star on the ground. Both horses had lockjaw, and she called our vet out. We our now learning that they have done this to more than 10 horses in the area and haven't been shut down yet! This was 3 months ago, and both horses still have serious issues. I had never heard of such a thing happening, but after seeing it first hand, I don't doubt the dangers of not researching your horses 'dentist', vet or farrier.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. When I first came here, I thought Star was 15 at most. There is something truly special about this ranch. All the animals get a second chance at life.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Adorable

Awww those photos reminded me of where I lived growing up. A lot of European farms with some pretty neat aimals. Thank for sharing those. You guys are lucky to have that pony, what a doll. One of those "i'll keep forever" little ponies.
Simply adorable...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I never leave anyone alone with my horses, unless its the b.o. feeding them. We had a vet who beat up the horses when he was alone with them at clients facilities.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never leave anyone alone with my horses, unless its the b.o. feeding them. We had a vet who beat up the horses when he was alone with them at clients facilities.
We were here and constantly asking why it was taking so long. We just didn't know the damage until the dentist was gone. We are just much more cautious

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, their jaws had just gone through so much trauma that they locked up. The vet actually said that the horses looked more like they had been in a trailer accident, but they never left the property.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
How terrible, are you going to take them to court for malpractice and damages? I would, make them pay for what they did...

I love the pictures and I am still in love with Teddy he is a little treasure! The furry donkey is awesome! It looks like your little girl loves animals, that's amazing, it does wonders for kids to have animals n their lives!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I know exactly what you mean when you say your going to keep Teddy even when your daughter is too big for him! My little baby Bart is still mine even though my dad keeps threatening to sell him... Bart is almost 20 now and I have had him 6 or 7 years.
Piece of advice, when your daughter outgrows him and gets another horse, she will ride the other horse more, but believe me, she will do anything to not let you sell him. I have a plan if anyone ever comes to look at my pony... hahaha

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How terrible, are you going to take them to court for malpractice and damages? I would, make them pay for what they did...

I love the pictures and I am still in love with Teddy he is a little treasure! The furry donkey is awesome! It looks like your little girl loves animals, that's amazing, it does wonders for kids to have animals n their lives!
My BO (who owns the gelding that were victim to this) doesn't have enough money to take them to court, and we both have been trying to find someone to do it pro-bono, but we aren't having any luck. Most of the other people are in the same place... They are all spending what money they have on vet bills, and just don't have enough to sue. Trust me, if I had the money I would be funding everything!

Thank you :) Yes, Teddy is a true treasure! My daughter is a little "Ms. Doolittle". I grew up the same way, and I do everything I can to keep her around animals.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Icrazyaboutu- Trust me I'm the one who will do anything to keep this little guy around :) I now what you mean about doing anything to keep your favorite pony. I have had my mare for 15 years now, and even divorced my (ex) husband because he told me to "sell my old nag"....

RiddlesDarkAngel5- I wont take credit for all these animals. (Besides Teddy, he's my only 'rescue') My friend who I board with, she's the hero. I am only there for moral support and carrots lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts