The Horse Forum banner
481 - 500 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Now that we’ve moved to a larger property, my husband and mom really want chickens. When I was young, it was my job to collect the eggs. We had a big mean rooster named Rojo who made it HIS job to terrorize me every single time. He would attack me and peck me, and I would end up crying every time. I said then when I grew up,
I would never ever have chickens, and so far I’ve held to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Years ago I worked with a lady who had grown up on a farm in the Midwest. One of her chores as a kid was also to gather eggs. She told me that every morning she would go into the chicken coop with a basket and a broom.

If a rooster flew up at her, she would swat it with the broom. Told me she always tried to bounce them off the wall. Any rooster she had to swat twice ended up in the stew pot.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 · (Edited)
Lizard update:

The monitor lizard is still alive, though I can’t really tell whether or not it has eaten anything. in my google research of trying to figure what type of monitor it is, I’ve narrowed it down to two. It could be either the Philippine monitor, a carnivorous local. Or it could be a North Luzon monitor which eats fruit, and is rare I understand.

A few days ago, it had a bit of a rough day. I set the whole container that it stays in outside for some sun. In addition to the tadpoles, I had a guava in there in case it’s a fructivore. There were no chickens around, so I was in the barn doing some small chores. Next thing I know one of the horses stuck it’s nose into the container, shoved the hollow block aside, lizard and all, and ate the guava. I chased the horse off and replaced the guava with a banana. I went back to work. Then, the other horse did the same.

I brought the poor critter back inside and left it alone to settle down. Since then, I make it a point to transfer the lizard into an empty feed pan for the sun bath.

The green skink that used to hang around the barn hasn’t been seen for two or three months. But yesterday, I saw a smaller one going in and out of the tack room.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I thought of you today! We were driving through Temple, and I saw two big horse trailers getting on the highway -- six horse slant-loads it looked like. They were empty. I was like, why are they towing two big trailers empty like that, and who? And then I saw on the side it said "US Army." Those trailers were spotless and shining and looked so nice! One of these days I will make it to that cavalry show you mentioned once...

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
I thought of you today! We were driving through Temple, and I saw two big horse trailers getting on the highway -- six horse slant-loads it looked like. They were empty. I was like, why are they towing two big trailers empty like that, and who? And then I saw on the side it said "US Army." Those trailers were spotless and shining and looked so nice! One of these days I will make it to that cavalry show you mentioned once...
If you are in that area, you should go see their demonstration!

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I wish I had been able to take a picture of the trailers. They were just gorgeous.

I checked out the show, and it's only on Thursdays. Maybe one Thursday we'll be driving up there and can stop. It looks really cool.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
I wish I had been able to take a picture of the trailers. They were just gorgeous.

I checked out the show, and it's only on Thursdays. Maybe one Thursday we'll be driving up there and can stop. It looks really cool.
Or you could contact the Fort Hood public affairs office and find out if they are performing at any local fairs or rodeos. That will likely be thin during the winter.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Another lizard update.
Had a major success with the monitor lizard today. I’ve been keeping tadpoles in the water in the tub the lizard is staying in. Hoping it would eat some of them. So far, I’ve seen little sign that the lizard is eating any tadpoles.

Today, I put I small piece of raw chicken into the tub. When I checked back later, the chicken meat was gone. Now to figure out how much and how often to feed it.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
In other news, the goodewyfe harvested a quantity of turmeric. Our helpers washed it yesterday evening. The goodewyfe took it to our vendor at the ag terminal today. We have to wait for a buyer before we learn how much it will bring.
Smile Plant Botany Sun hat People in nature

Plant Road surface Asphalt Urban design Sidewalk

Plant community Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

Attachments

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
A white throated kingfisher has been hanging around our house for a couple of weeks now. We hear it calling in the mornings and, from time to time, through the day. If we are watchful, we see it a few times in the day.

It is wary, and if it sees you first, it will fly off into the tree line in a flash of blue and white. I’ve not been able to get a photo.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
How is your lizard doing?

481 - 500 of 516 Posts