The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone knows those people that have the "perfect" horse that can do no wrong. Well there's a girl that has been leasing a school horse, that is bomb proof and easy to ride/push button, and is an older huge OTTB. She recently decided that she 1) didn't need to take lessons anymore [she's still a beginner and only been riding for a few months and just started cantering] 2) that she can handle a fresh off the track OTTB that spooks at everything and has no confidence/training under saddle besides being on the track. She's still boarding at the same barn where she took lessons; yesterday I over heard her talking to one of her barn buddies who is leasing the horse that she had been leasing. Well she was complaining about how she wasn't used to having such a crazy horse because all her other horses [she's only had the one school horse that she only rode in lessons] were never bad and were perfect, granted the horse she leased was extremely well trained. Her trainer is trying to convince her to sell her horse to her and let her help her find a good beginners horse and to start taking lessons again. But the girl is convinced she has everything under control and doesn't need anyone's help. :roll:
I kind of feel bad for her horse because she's had him for about 2 weeks now and he stays in a stall 24/7 and only comes out when she comes once a week to groom him. And the horse is actually really sweet hearted just terrified and really hot. He bucks, rears and "runs around" in his stall [14x14] and is starting to bite and get aggressive from being stalled all the time. She says the reason why she wont ride him is because she wants to give him time to "forget" about racing and give him time off. :-|

I don't know, guess my rant-ish thing is over!

Also, don't know if anyone else uses the term "out horseing yourself" but around the barn I work at we use it to describe the people that buy horses that are too much for them to handle. :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Poor horse. He's gonna be hard to handle til he can get out in the pasture and gallop off some energy. Specially being an OTTB he's gonna need some retraining too they just don't for get about racing. This girl is gonna be sorry when she finds her butt in the dirt cause can't handle him.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poor horse. He's gonna be hard to handle til he can get out in the pasture and gallop off some energy. Specially being an OTTB he's gonna need some retraining too they just don't for get about racing. This girl is gonna be sorry when she finds her butt in the dirt cause can't handle him.
Yeah, you can't just take a horse off the track and used to running everyday to sitting in a stall. :-( Her trainer thinks she's got her almost convinced to let her let him out in the indoor for a few hours after all the lessons are done at nights. Most of the school horses are OTTBs so we're all used to getting them but the trainer usually goes straight into retraining and they get put out ect. But we're all kind of getting annoyed with this girl, because all she's doing is making the horse more and more hot and it'll take a lot more work to get him retrained the longer she makes him sit in a stall to just gather energy. I'd hate to see him in another month of being stalled. :cry: He's going to be really crazy then and might tear his stall down. She probably will ask the trainer to ride him first because that's just how this girl is. :roll:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
its good her trainer is convincing her to turn him out some. running around in the indoor is better then sitting a stall. Funny thing is i was kinda thinking she was the kinda girl who would have trainer ride him first, watch the trainer working with him and trying to controll him and then the girl decide she knows it all and wants to get on now. but i can see her not be able to control him the way an experienced trainer can and end up in the dirt. which not to be mean but would probably serve her right lol

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Why isn't the barn manager turning him out? The stable I send horses to for training will never leave a horse inside like that unless the weather is bad. Then they get at least a half hour in the indoor to burn off some energy.

Granted, most race horses are used to being in stalls for long periods of time but what that guy needs is to be turned out for at least a month and not have any training done to him. Let him unwind, get his head on straight.

Reactions: WildAcreFarms

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
That poor horse. Such cases make me think that people, who want to have a horse, should pass an exam after a considerable period of time, spent with horses, just like we all learn to drive and pass our driving exams in order to get a driver's license. I used to have somebody like this in my old barn - an over-confident man, ex-politician (to make things more fun), very sure about only himself being right, who had been learning to ride for only a couple of months. He then bought a rather hot mare, who had been a brood mare for the last 8 years, had the BO to re-school her and then just hopped on and trotted, and cantered for HOURS every day, without even properly cooling her out, ignoring that she was just not ready for such extensive excersising... He also ignored any suggestions that he should consider his mare's health more, and soon moved to another barn. I fear that the mare won't last for very long with him, but hey - he's a respectable, grown up man, he knows what he is doing, right? :(

I hope that the girl in your barn will come to some reason. For her and the horse's safety,

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
haha sound like the "I know everything about horses" girl down the road from me.

I also think its crazy that any boarding facility would allow a horse to stay stall 24/7 no matter what the owner says.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
"All the gear, no idea"

Unfortunately this is were so many horses get bad names being handled by inexperienced owners. I'm all for throwing the right people and the right horse in to the deep end, however this is ridiculous.

But it doesn't matter how ridiculous it is, they won't learn until they have a serious accident that will either kill them, disable them or put enough scare in them that they won't go near a horse again.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
It's like the first time you tell a kid not to touch the electric fence. They are still going to do it no matter what. The smart kids learn the first time. The slower ones kinda have to touch the **** piece of wire until they get blisters all over their fingers before they learn.

Unfortunately a lot of beginners (In everything, not just horses) like to think they know everything. I know when I was younger I thought I knew a lot. Turned out I knew nothing. Even just a few months ago when I was learning more about groundwork (of all things) I thought I knew a lot beforehand but here I am several months later realizing I probably sounded like an idiot back then. And in a few months from today I will know several more new things, as will everyone else, and we'll all grin at each other and realize we actually knew nothing today! Life's kind of a ***** that way :D

I say strap her on the boy and set her loose. If she won't learn the easy way, she'll learn the hard way!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Geez i'm sure you're glad you got that off your chest! :) Sounds like this girl may be a little stubborn and it's probably super hard for her to admit that she can't handle this type of horse at the moment. BUT that's no excuse, it's all part of being a horse owner, facing reality, taking advice and improving yourself. It's terrible keeping him cooped up like that, I reckon it will send him around the bend (can’t believe the barn owners are allowing this). He needs his freedom for sure plus some groundwork to get him understanding and calming down. I think he'd be much happier with a confident leader, a training routine (something he can look forward to) and some structure in his life…hope it all works out for both of them :).

·
Registered
338 Posts
...this is very sad :( Can someone "accidentally" get her with a lunge whip? How old is she? Perhaps the BO can say something to the parents in regards to the girl's safety....maybe the parents will step in and get a handle on the situation.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
haha sound like the "I know everything about horses" girl down the road from me.

I also think its crazy that any boarding facility would allow a horse to stay stall 24/7 no matter what the owner says.
I've talked with the owner about it and she said she doesn't want to make a big scene [and they have a "quarantine" time of a week of being stalled/put in the indoor after lessons, but the owner said to strictly keep him stalled] but I think she's going to let him into the indoor without her permission tonight, because the girl was there last night which means she wont be back for a couple of days. But I don't know, I offered to work him for the girl since I'm working some of the other girls' horses until she was ready to ride him [just ground work] but she got kinda huffy after. :-| But everyone's getting kind of sick of her...LOL

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's like the first time you tell a kid not to touch the electric fence. They are still going to do it no matter what. The smart kids learn the first time. The slower ones kinda have to touch the **** piece of wire until they get blisters all over their fingers before they learn....
I say strap her on the boy and set her loose. If she won't learn the easy way, she'll learn the hard way!
:rofl: Agree 100%!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Personally if I were the BO I wouldn't let it loose. A horse that has been cooped up, let alone an OTTB in the beginning of its training may do more harm to itself than good and although the BO may think she's doing it for the horse's sake there will be trouble if it gets injured....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...this is very sad :( Can someone "accidentally" get her with a lunge whip? How old is she? Perhaps the BO can say something to the parents in regards to the girl's safety....maybe the parents will step in and get a handle on the situation.
The girl is 18 turning 19 pretty soon I think, and the "daddy pays for it and I do what I want with it" type of girl. But I'll bring that up with the BO tonight when I go to work.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally if I were the BO I wouldn't let it loose. A horse that has been cooped up, let alone an OTTB in the beginning of its training may do more harm to itself than good and although the BO may think she's doing it for the horse's sake there will be trouble if it gets injured....
Yeah, I don't know. It's a big empty indoor [the trainer is strict about things being in the arena]. But I understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Sad situation and unfortunately not a lot you can do to remedy it. Sounds like she's one that will need the ego check of actually getting hurt before asking for help.

Reactions: Skyseternalangel

·
Registered
324 Posts
She is clearly scared of him, and is blaming him to divert from her fear. My OTTB is 2 weeks off the track. The day he arrived he was let out in the arena to just kick his heals up and go wild! He did that for a day and then got over it but it was a safe way for him to enjoy his new found freedom. For the first few days he was unwilling to come out his stall because he simply wasnt used to being turned out. The he got kicked (his own lack of social skills) and spent a few days on box rest...he SCREAMED his lungs out all day because he did NOT want to be indoors! I cant blame him!

Besides his injury and rest time, he is worked daily. If not he would be hot too. ok, I have one that has sense and isnt spooky but he is a 4 year old, racing fit and has energy that needs to be expelled...even if it means being turned out to run around.

Shame, I hope she sees reason and doesnt let her pride get in her way for too long. So he's too much for her, move on. I was nervous taking mine on and ive been riding since I was big enough to be in a saddle and I still see myself as a novice. Maybe Im just in touch with reality!

I agree, strap stupid to the saddle and tap him on the bum and when he's tired he'll stop running! ha ha! Gonna be a long run! LOL!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.