The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in having an outdoor arena for horse riding, how much would that cost if I have it done on about 1 acre? Thanks!

·
Registered
14,873 Posts
An acre of arena? That is big!

Reactions: Kalraii

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
Outdoor $25,000 to $200,000 - Indoor up to $500,000.

The basic cost depends on the size, use, drainage and footing as well as the site work that needs done to prep for laying the foundation and working layers. Then comes the add ons. Fencing, equipment to maintain, equipment for use (dressage would need the letters, roping would need a place for cattle....). There is no one size fits all answer. Except to say an arena is not cheap.

·
Registered
14,873 Posts
A bare minimum arena here, with eyeball leveling, cheaper pitrun base and unfiltered sand, posts, board fencing and gate would be around 10 to 15 thousand. Depending on the ground and location, it might be unusable at certain times of the year without drainage. To do it properly, double or more of that cost.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Outdoor $25,000 to $200,000 - Indoor up to $500,000.

The basic cost depends on the size, use, drainage and footing as well as the site work that needs done to prep for laying the foundation and working layers. Then comes the add ons. Fencing, equipment to maintain, equipment for use (dressage would need the letters, roping would need a place for cattle....). There is no one size fits all answer. Except to say an arena is not cheap.
Ok, thank you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would it be possible if I made an outdoor arena myself If I had the tractor and dirt for it?

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
It all depends on the materials you have available. Your skills using the equipment necessary and what you will be using it for. Different disciplines need different footing for safety and all need attention to slope, drainage, level, base material and top footing. What type of dirt? Most are sand over a clay base of some type. Do you have th equipment to maintain it once done? A way to water it?

@farmpony84 just put one in. It took quite a bit of prep work and materials. She also has access to the equipment and a husband that is good at using that equipment. It takes skill. Mine was done about 18 years ago and we had everything on site or I could get it from the pit I managed at the time for the cost of hauling. We live 3 miles from the pit so hauling was a flat fee. Our property though has pea gravel, sandy clay, clay and sand. Most of what we hauled was a washed angled sand for the top layer. My husband is great at site work as well. Even with everything we needed it took a lot of time to prep and lay the foundation then top with sand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It all depends on the materials you have available. Your skills using the equipment necessary and what you will be using it for. Different disciplines need different footing for safety and all need attention to slope, drainage, level, base material and top footing. What type of dirt? Most are sand over a clay base of some type. Do you have th equipment to maintain it once done? A way to water it?
I could water it since my hose is right near the field and I could get a big sprinkler. Not sure what type of dirt I would use.
Would the dirt need to be replaced if it rained? What do you need to maintain it? One more question do you need to put concrete and wood under the dirt..

·
Super Moderator
26,943 Posts
If that acre is flat then I would leave it grass.

I would have to ask the husband what size my ring is. I think it's 125x80. We rented a dozer for $3k, it took a few days to level it and then we put in drain tiles. I had a few loads of sand brought in at I think it was $500 per load. I only had enough to sand half the arena so I still have to finish it.

We lined it with Rail Road ties. They cost us 6 or 800 (I can't remember). I have not put lights up yet and still need about 4-5 loads of sand to finish it and I haven't fenced it yet.

It's definitely cheaper to do it yourself but if my husband hadn't been a heavy equipment operator while he was paying his way through college then it would still be a grass ring. The only issues I had with it being grass was that it would get slick when it rained and one end tended to stay wet.

good luck...

Reactions: Friesians45

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that acre is flat then I would leave it grass.

I would have to ask the husband what size my ring is. I think it's 125x80. We rented a dozer for $3k, it took a few days to level it and then we put in drain tiles. I had a few loads of sand brought in at I think it was $500 per load. I only had enough to sand half the arena so I still have to finish it.

We lined it with Rail Road ties. They cost us 6 or 800 (I can't remember). I have not put lights up yet and still need about 4-5 loads of sand to finish it and I haven't fenced it yet.

It's definitely cheaper to do it yourself but if my husband hadn't been a heavy equipment operator while he was paying his way through college then it would still be a grass ring. The only issues I had with it being grass was that it would get slick when it rained and one end tended to stay wet.

good luck...
Wow, this was great info! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
The commercial grade sprinklers we used were over$200. They covered a 120 foot diameter. Depending on how big your area you would likely need two or need to move it. You also have to have the capacity to handle the amount of water you'd need. If you are on a well you may need another well and a larger tank and pump plus an increase in your electric. If you are on city then there is a cost every time you run it. Who pays that bill?

You dig out, replace with crushed run, gravel, some type of rock base of a size and suitable for your type of soil. Soils are different from region to region. All of that needs leveled and compacted. Then use determines the top footing and if you need a layer of something between base and top.

Equipment would be an excavator, tractor, bucket, blade, laser level.... Not the typical small farm or lawn type equipment. A harrow or drag of some sort to maintain it.

If it is not level or there is a drainage issue then yes you could be replacing dirt or not able to ride if if holds water.

A regulation dressage arena is 66 x 198 feet. A small one like I have is 66 x 132 feet. A small non discipline specific is 60 x 120 feet. Not big enough for dressage. Reining would be 100 x 200 feet at a bare minimum. Same for a small jump course. Barrel racing I think is 130 x 200 feet if I remember what my friend had put in for her nieces.

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
As farmpony mentioned if it is level you may be able to leave it grass. It may or may not drain. It will be slick when wet and unsafe. Doesn't even have to rain. Heavy dew will cause it to be too wet. Limits the time you can use it. How you use it and how often determines how much of that grass gets torn up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The commercial grade sprinklers we used were over$200. They covered a 120 foot diameter. Depending on how big your area you would likely need two or need to move it. You also have to have the capacity to handle the amount of water you'd need. If you are on a well you may need another well and a larger tank and pump plus an increase in your electric. If you are on city then there is a cost every time you run it. Who pays that bill?

You dig out, replace with crushed run, gravel, some type of rock base of a size and suitable for your type of soil. Soils are different from region to region. All of that needs leveled and compacted. Then use determines the top footing and if you need a layer of something between base and top.

Equipment would be an excavator, tractor, bucket, blade, laser level.... Not the typical small farm or lawn type equipment. A harrow or drag of some sort to maintain it.

If it is not level or there is a drainage issue then yes you could be replacing dirt or not able to ride if if holds water.

A regulation dressage arena is 66 x 198 feet. A small one like I have is 66 x 132 feet. A small non discipline specific is 60 x 120 feet. Not big enough for dressage. Reining would be 100 x 200 feet at a bare minimum. Same for a small jump course. Barrel racing I think is 130 x 200 feet if I remember what my friend had put in for her nieces.
Like I said I'm not sure if I am, I was just curious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts