The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately, it's starting to get colder. Just yesterday, I was looking at the radar, and it's calling for snow! Nooooo! I don't have an indoor arena, nor do I have enough room to build one. Snow is great, but it can leave after Christmas. Riding outside in the snow and wind is absolutely dreadful, and by the time I'm done my five minute ride, my fingers are too cold and sore to take the saddle off. So, last January I've decided to just bareback it during the cold season. I've already gone out and raided the tack shops of winter stock. Insulated quarter sheet for the boy, and tall horse tech boots for me. What does everybody else do to keep warm during the winter weather?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Pantyhose under clothes work wonders for keeping warmth in without adding bulk!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Where in Canada are you BTR? No snow being called for on the prairies here just yet, thank goodness.

I love my Boinks Skins breeches, very toasty to ride in, and goose down vest and coat

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
polar fleece is very warm for it's weight. Dont skimp on cheap stuff by the real deal, decent warm boots, Mountain rider fleece lined pants are nice. I like the fleece lined jeans from cabelas. Dont forget your head and neck,
One thing to remember, Dont where warm cloths while unloading and tacking up, you get all bundled up for the cold then get hot and sweaty while tacking, save your jacket and hat till right before you saddle.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I was always cold in the winter until I discovered the wonderful world of wearing gortex clothing and boots. It keeps you dry by not allowing moisture in (rain/snow) while allowing your perspiration to breath out. Toss in material that also breaks the wind and you'll stay much warmer.

What I've actually done is bought gortex rain gear and keep it behind the seat of my pickup. If it's not actually raining when I start riding I'll generally put the pants on and tie the coat behind my saddle for quick access. If it's just a might rain situation I tie them both behind the saddle so they are there if needed. When windy, I put them both on as a wind breaker.

Boots made the biggest difference for me by a large margin. Keeping my feet warm and dry really cut down on my misery index.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If it started snowing outside this minute, I wouldn't be surprised. It's way too cold. Where did summer go? :cry:

I just layer clothes. A couple pairs of thick pants, thick socks and maybe toe warmers, layered mits, and my Carhart coat (so incredibly insulating).

Winter sucks. I want to move to Cuba.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
and to think that today we were all excited that it's only supposed to be 85 degrees (F) today...

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
and to think that today we were all excited that it's only supposed to be 85 degrees (F) today...
Spent 2 weeks in Sherman, TX doing some work just last month. I would be excited for 85 too since it was 84 at 7am when I was there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.