The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a new close contact saddle. Does anyone have any experience with an HDR pro or an Ovation saddle? Which one shows the most quality for the price? I've had my hands on an HDR pro before, and thought it was beautiful. How does the Ovation compare?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been riding in my trainer's Ovation show jumper

For the past month. I like it well enough that I just ordered myself one.:) It puts one in a nice centered position. I don't jump, really (other than the odd tiny xrail or a log in the woods) - I bought it for a trail saddle because despite being close contact it feels very secure.

I believe the company is changing over to adjustable trees, so I got a really good price on a new standard tree saddle from my local(ish) tack shop since they're clearing out all the "obsolete" models.:wink:

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is just my experience, but there's an HDR at my barn that I've ridden in a few times that I hate. I don't know exactly what model it is, but I find it so hard and uncomfortable, and it puts anyone I've seen ride in it in a chair seat. On the other hand, I have a good friend who was saddle hunting for her guy and ended up buying an Ovation after she rode in someone else's and fell in love. I don't know when you're buying, but I'm probably going to visit her next weekend, so I can offer what I think about it then.

As it is now, I'd definitely pick the Ovation over HDR. Just my two cents!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would probably go with the HDR.

Although, I saw the new Ovations in the Dover magazine, and was quite impressed. I think Ovation is getting better in quality, plus they're getting changeable gullets, which is a plus. They're starting to look quite high end lately.

I think you'd be happy with either, they're pretty level in quality factor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your opinions! I've been riding in the same all purpose saddle for 24 years. So, for me, buying a saddle is HUGE!! I'm so afraid of making a mistake because I know I'll be stuck with it for a long time!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've ridden in an ovation and it was super comfortable and put me in a decent position despite the flaps not being foward enough (I'm really long from hip to knee). The leather seemed fairly nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.