The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have been trying to read everybody post and figure some things out for my horses diet but I am still a bit confused my horse is a 9 yr old Arabian gelding who is a very easy keeper.I have been able to ride him about three days a week at about an hour or two but he still doesn't lose any weight. He has been on pasture all summer and is now only on hay. My concern is even though he is over weight he is maybe still lacking vitamins in his diet. He also always a a mineral block. Just would like some oppions on what to feed him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
By my own experience with an easy keeper 9 year old Arabian.....he needs to go on a diet or you'll end up with major problems. What kind of hay is he on, and how much?
Grass hay offered in a slowfeeder of any kind would help him, along with a ration balancer or a vit/min supplement, and magnesium. And come summer, either restricting grazing or definitely more work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We make our own hay that is just grass hay. The bales are about 40lbs and he only gets half of a bale a day. I am afraid he is going to end up with a health problem. It is getting easier to ride more since both of my kids are in school now so I could probably get at least one more day of riding. I know I would love it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I just got a darling mare in who is 13.2 and 1100 lbs. No I am NOT kidding. She is living in a grazing muzzle and gets nothing but grass hay and water. No grain, no vits, no nothing until she drops some weight.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
We make our own hay that is just grass hay. The bales are about 40lbs and he only gets half of a bale a day. I am afraid he is going to end up with a health problem. It is getting easier to ride more since both of my kids are in school now so I could probably get at least one more day of riding. I know I would love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
weigh your hay portion. to lose weight, you want to be closer to 1.5% of normal bodyweight. The slowfeeder will make him work a little to get his hay, he can pull out only a couple of blades at a time, so it will last longer, even tho it's less overall.
I give my two dieters 6lbs in a slowfeeder net, that lasts about 4 hours. Two horses eating on it. Then another at lunch, and 3 of them for the night. That amounts to 15lbs per horse per 24 hours. Nets are never completely empty, horses still happy.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I just got a darling mare in who is 13.2 and 1100 lbs. No I am NOT kidding. She is living in a grazing muzzle and gets nothing but grass hay and water. No grain, no vits, no nothing until she drops some weight.

cutie!!!
I'd give her about 10 grams of magnesium daily. Helps with the cresty neck. Right now she's at high risk for laminitis.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
cutie!!!
I'd give her about 10 grams of magnesium daily. Helps with the cresty neck. Right now she's at high risk for laminitis.
I'll look into the Mg. Her brother has laminitis and is an air fern just like she is. She arrived last Saturday and she's taking off the weight, just with diet change and a grazing muzzle. You can already see that she's a bit lighter. She's still got 300 lbs to go though. I'm hoping we'll get a good cold snap, with no blanket and restricted food, she ought to drop it quick.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I'll look into the Mg. Her brother has laminitis and is an air fern just like she is. She arrived last Saturday and she's taking off the weight, just with diet change and a grazing muzzle. You can already see that she's a bit lighter. She's still got 300 lbs to go though. I'm hoping we'll get a good cold snap, with no blanket and restricted food, she ought to drop it quick.
Look into slow feeder net for her hay, too. Keeps her eating little, but steady, to avoid insulin spikes. Better safe than sorry....oh, and cold and little food....you'll be surprised how well this type can hold on to the upholstery lol

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Look into slow feeder net for her hay, too. Keeps her eating little, but steady, to avoid insulin spikes. Better safe than sorry....oh, and cold and little food....you'll be surprised how well this type can hold on to the upholstery lol
The grazing muzzle (I have no way to separate her from the others to use a slow feeder net, so muzzle will have to do), is now permanently affixed to her face. She can eat all day long, just not a whole lot. Hoping that will cut enough calories. She WAS being fed alfalfa and grain, in a group setting, so was getting more than her fair share. Since none of the others was looking like they had missed any meals, I'm saying just all of them were being overfed.

Here are 2 more from the same herd, neither looking particularly ribby:

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
The grazing muzzle (I have no way to separate her from the others to use a slow feeder net, so muzzle will have to do), is now permanently affixed to her face. She can eat all day long, just not a whole lot. Hoping that will cut enough calories. She WAS being fed alfalfa and grain, in a group setting, so was getting more than her fair share. Since none of the others was looking like they had missed any meals, I'm saying just all of them were being overfed.

Here are 2 more from the same herd, neither looking particularly ribby:

I did the grazing muzzle for my gelding he still got super fat last winter. Hes a air fern gains weight looking at hay.

The grazing muzzle didnt trim him down i swear he gained weight,that was when it was 20 and 30 below zero. His being fat caught up to him endedup laminatic this summer and is now IR.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I see. The grass hay and muzzle should already help. Work would be ideal. Is she rideable?
Physically she should be, but she's 15 and not been started, so not at this time. I am doing ground work with her and doing some light lunging too. The pasture that they are in is several times larger than their old turnouts were, so she's moving more too. I'm hopeful that by spring she should be better. I'll take dropping some weight and not having a laminitis/founder episode as a win.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Yup. Just keep watching for early signs....reluctant to give feet for cleaning, not moving much. I'm soaking my hay for my IR horse. Grass hay. Even that has too much sugar unsoaked. Pain in the hind, I tell ya.....

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yup. Just keep watching for early signs....reluctant to give feet for cleaning, not moving much. I'm soaking my hay for my IR horse. Grass hay. Even that has too much sugar unsoaked. Pain in the hind, I tell ya.....
My old *Deficyt daughter foundered and WOW, that was awful to see. She did ok once we got her stable and then didn't flare too badly. I had her several years and she was able to carry another foal. I'm trying to keep this one from going down that road though, because it becomes very challenging to manage when I'm full up and right now, I'm kind of busting at the seams.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everybody for your input. My boy is about as big as your mare DREAMCATCHER ARABIAN but he does not have the cresty neck YET. Going to try the slow feeder. I actually looked at them the other day but wasn't sure. I know its in my head but i just hate to have to put a grazing muzzle on him. I think when spring comes i may just put him in a stall a few hours a day.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Thanks everybody for your input. My boy is about as big as your mare DREAMCATCHER ARABIAN but he does not have the cresty neck YET. Going to try the slow feeder. I actually looked at them the other day but wasn't sure. I know its in my head but i just hate to have to put a grazing muzzle on him. I think when spring comes i may just put him in a stall a few hours a day.
Honestly, I would prefer to separate her out into her own yard and put a slow feeder in with her, rather that to put the muzzle on. Right now, with the number of horses I just ended up with, it's not possible. I'm hopeful that several will move within the month, and then I'll be able to control her diet with less restrictive measures. I don't like the idea of a muzzle because I'm afraid, even with the leather safety fuse, that it will get caught on something and injure her. So, I totally get what your saying, I just can't do anything else right now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I totally understand there is sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. I had my horse catch his halter on a water faucet one time. I was just letting him walk around the barn while i cleaned so i was there luckly but it was still scary.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
"Three nutrients are commonly undersupplied: vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids, and magnesium.
· Magnesium: Magnesium helps lower circulating insulin levels, which allows your horse to burn fat, rather than store it.
· Vitamin E:. Vitamin E and selenium work together; however, selenium can be toxic at relatively low levels, so be sure to evaluate the selenium content of the total diet before supplementing.
· Omega 3 fatty acids: These unsaturated fatty acids are necessary for proper immune function, joint health, and hoof and hair condition, and they also regulate blood insulin levels. Although high in fat calories, flaxseed meal in small quantities provides unparalleled support for your horse’s health."

This is from this article on feeding the overweight horse. Chapter 17: Concentrates Protocol

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Magnesium for Horses | Natural Health for Equines gives a great deal of info.
MagnesiumOxide should be available at a feedmill. Remission or Quiessence, if you can't get the MagOx. Best would be MagRestore(google it, I don't have the link).
You'll have to fill up his storage, loose stools signal "full"
Flaxseed, whole, 2-4oz/day. As said, for the Omegas, hoof, hair, skin, digestion, help eliminate sand.
Salt, loose.
Vit E...I get the gel capsules for people, to arrive at 2000IU daily.
All that mixed into a handful grass or alfalfa pellets, soaked. And a general vit/min supplement.
Start him slow with the slowfeeder, havd some hay on the ground, and the net full, so he doesn't get frustrated and starts pawing at it or ripping it apart. Pull some hay through tge holes, so he gets the idea. Mine prefer the nets over hay on the ground now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.