The Horse Forum banner

Overgrown Hooves

2684 51
Hi all! So we just got this mini on Monday as a rescue. She was pretty neglected and unfortunately her hooves are in bad shape. We contacted our farrier who said he could come by this Friday, however I was wondering what I could do for her until then. She is in obvious pain and lays down most of the time. (I think the guy said she hasn't been trimmed for 1-2 years, although that is a bit of a gap.) She can't really walk so she's in a small area with close access to water and shelter. I've heard of giving Tylenol or something but could someone tell me more about that? I just hate seeing her like this and wish I could just take her pain away. I've also been wondering about her coat color. 馃 The name is on the tip of my tongue but I just can't think of it. Any ideas on how to put this sweet girl out of her misery, even temporarily, is appreciated. Also any name ideas. I was thinking either something related to happiness or something related to her coat color.
Horse Sky Plant Eye Working animal
Eye Plant Horse Grass Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Jaw Mammal Grass Terrestrial animal

Thanks!
  • Love
Reactions: tsed18
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Ohhh my goodness- poor girl!! People make me so mad when they don't take care of their animals. 馃槧
I'm glad you took her and will now give her the care she needs.

She's absolutely adorable!
Looks like a grulla to me. :D
I don't know about giving her human pain killer, but I do have a suggestion.
We started one of my horses on buteless a while ago, and it really helped with her pain. Its a natural pain reliever with devils claw and other herbs. It really works. You can get it online or most feed stores. Hope this helps!

Registered
Are you able to have a chat with the vet about the feet before the farrier comes? You may want to establish if she foundered or not at some point (the vet would likely suggest X-rays) - that could have an influence on the trimming strategy. You will be able to use that opportunity to also discuss pain control. It could be quite possible that her feet will may remain sore for awhile after the trim so would therefore need a pain strategy for before and after.

I鈥檇 love to see I tunes of her after the trim.

Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you able to have a chat with the vet about the feet before the farrier comes? You may want to establish if she foundered or not at some point (the vet would likely suggest X-rays) - that could have an influence on the trimming strategy. You will be able to use that opportunity to also discuss pain control. It could be quite possible that her feet will may remain sore for awhile after the trim so would therefore need a pain strategy for before and after.

I鈥檇 love to see I tunes of her after the trim.

Good luck.
We talked to the vet about her (we decided we would quarantine her from our other horse for a couple of weeks) but we didn't really discuss her feet. And I forgot to mention that she did, indeed, founder. Our farrier seems to be pretty good though and he informed us that she may never be completely "okay," but as long as I can ease the pain, even a little bit, I will do everything I can to do so. I've seen other farriers use X-rays for overgrown hooves like that and I will ask about it when he comes Friday. I will keep everyone updated and take more pictures of after the trimming. Thank you for the advice lovetolope and Chevaux :)

Registered
We talked to the vet about her (we decided we would quarantine her from our other horse for a couple of weeks) but we didn't really discuss her feet. And I forgot to mention that she did, indeed, founder. Our farrier seems to be pretty good though and he informed us that she may never be completely "okay," but as long as I can ease the pain, even a little bit, I will do everything I can to do so. I've seen other farriers use X-rays for overgrown hooves like that and I will ask about it when he comes Friday. I will keep everyone updated and take more pictures of after the trimming. Thank you for the advice lovetolope and Chevaux :)
I've been dealing with a "fresh" founder this spring and the first thing that both the vet and farrier wanted was radiographs. They will tell whether there is rotation of the coffin bones and how much. They will tell whether there is bone loss at the tip of the coffin bone, which is going to say a lot about the chances for a full recovery. They will tell the farrier how much he can safely cut. I wouldn't fudge on this aspect of her recovery.

A good farrier can do amazing things. I've seen countless videos of little ones like this in apparently much worse condition galloping happily in their paddocks!

As far as trying to ease her pain, she's waited this long, two more days probably won't matter, even though I know you feel a desperate need to help her. She is safe and she can lay down for now. Bute and other drugs can potentially hurt her tummy. So take heart in what you've already done for her and probably just let her rest. Best wishes for the best possible outcome!

Registered
Do not give human painkillers.

Those feet need to be xrayed something terrible. Vet can come out and do an xray there as most have a portable machine and plate anyhow. The rotation of that coffin bone needs to be assessed so the farrier knows what to do. Not much you can do till you get the farrier out. But you do need xrays before the farrier can do all he needs.

Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
Oh H***, that poor poor pony, this just shoocked me when I opened this thread. She is foundered on all four, I would not be letting her eat any green grass the grass she is laying on would be a BAD ideal for her to eat on, no sweet feed a pelleted feed as low as can be in NSC as in no starch or sugar, you need feed like Triple Crown lite maybe just a cup full twice a day. Hay she needs but low in sugar. I have a mini that foundered on mesquite beans about 7 years ago, hes great now but got to be very care-full feed wise. No grass no sweet feeds no hay high in sugar for him are we will be back to being sore.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh H***, that poor poor pony, this just shoocked me when I opened this thread. She is foundered on all four, I would not be letting her eat any green grass the grass she is laying on would be a BAD ideal for her to eat on, no sweet feed a pelleted feed as low as can be in NSC as in no starch or sugar, you need feed like Triple Crown lite maybe just a cup full twice a day. Hay she needs but low in sugar. I have a mini that foundered on mesquite beans about 7 years ago, hes great now but got to be very care-full feed wise. No grass no sweet feeds no hay high in sugar for him are we will be back to being sore.
The grass isn't actually as good as it looks in the photos. It's quite patchy and since she's in such a small area it will be gone very quickly. I will look into giving her some Triple Crown Lite as that is exactly what I feed my other horse, although I'm not sure I'll feed her anything but supplements until the grass is gone. The farrier hasn't said anything about x-rays, so I assumed he would take care of it, but we just asked him and are awaiting his response. Worse case scenario, we can post-pone the farrier visit a couple of days until we can get a vet out here, but I'd like for the farrier to come as soon as possible. We ordered Bute-Less as lovetolope suggested (thanks) since it's better for her tummy than Bute long term. It should be coming Monday.

Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
The grass isn't actually as good as it looks in the photos. It's quite patchy and since she's in such a small area it will be gone very quickly. I will look into giving her some Triple Crown Lite as that is exactly what I feed my other horse, although I'm not sure I'll feed her anything but supplements until the grass is gone. The farrier hasn't said anything about x-rays, so I assumed he would take care of it, but we just asked him and are awaiting his response. Worse case scenario, we can post-pone the farrier visit a couple of days until we can get a vet out here, but I'd like for the farrier to come as soon as possible. We ordered Bute-Less as lovetolope suggested (thanks) since it's better for her tummy than Bute long term. It should be coming Monday.
The Bute-Less never did anything for my gelding. But there is Aspirin for horses and they do help I have my one gelding that has a old injury on Aspireze + and have used vet-one aspirin powder, theres other brands out there. I did use the bute-less a few times but just never did anything at all, then I discovered that theres Aspirin for horses,so tryed that and liked what I saw after a few days of using it and I also feed him Hemp-oil Pellets, that and the aspirin has done a world of good for him, but for your little girl one thing at a time. The aspirin I would give her just a little pinch in a hand full of feed. BUT call the Vet and see if that would be ok. I would stay away from supplements for now. The farrier will need x-rays for sure on her, her soles has dropped and the x-rays will be a big help. Its got to be the vet that does the x-rays not the farrier, but the x-rays will be a help to your farrier to read with the Vet.
Liquid Plant Fluid Ingredient Packaging and labeling
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font
Audio equipment Gadget Entertainment Font Gas

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Bute-Less never did anything for my gelding. But there is Aspirin for horses and they do help I have my one gelding that has a old injury on Aspireze + and have used vet-one aspirin powder, theres other brands out there. I did use the bute-less a few times but just never did anything at all, then I discovered that theres Aspirin for horses,so tryed that and liked what I saw after a few days of using it and I also feed him Hemp-oil Pellets, that and the aspirin has done a world of good for him, but for your little girl one thing at a time. The aspirin I would give her just a little pinch in a hand full of feed. BUT call the Vet and see if that would be ok. I would stay away from supplements for now. The farrier will need x-rays for sure on her, her soles has dropped and the x-rays will be a big help. Its got to be the vet that does the x-rays not the farrier, but the x-rays will be a help to your farrier to read with the Vet.
View attachment 1130388 View attachment 1130389 View attachment 1130390
I figured trying the Bute-Less couldn't hurt since my full sized horse is battling a bout of lameness and I figured if it doesn't help the mini, then I can try it on Finn. I haven't given her any supplements yet and I may just hold off on that for a little while like you said. The farrier actually said that he doesn't need any x-rays and that the process is pretty straight forward. 馃 He's been great for Finn and I trust him but we'll have to see what happens Friday. I will look into the Asprin if the Bute-Less doesn't help.

Registered
Radiographs would be highlt recommended. Once trimmed you will need to restrict her movement for a few days as the tendons will be very stretched out and will need a little time. Id like to see the solar surface but from these pics it doesnt look too bad. Ive seen much worse make good recoveries

Premium Member
Poor dear. She is beautiful! But why oh why would anyone let hooves get like that?

When she is trimmed, you could consider hoof boots to help with any tenderness. It could be a long road, I'm afraid, but she is in better hands now. Thank you for taking care of her.

Registered
I wander if it might actually be dangerous for her to take away the pain at this stage. Pain prevents her from overusing her feet and potentially causing further injury.

She is very, very sweet and I am happy you rescued her.

Registered
Oh! That poor little thing 馃槩
I can't believe her former owner saw her worsening suffering for so long and did nothing about it 馃槨
That is criminal! They should be charged!
She is so lucky you rescued her ( this is absolutely a true rescue)!!
She has such a beautiful face...she looks like she could be silver dapple to me.
We named our Arab Farah which means happiness in Arabic
Maybe Felicity, since she definitely had good fortune in finding you...or you finding her 馃槈
Felicity - good fortune , happy

Here's (hopefully) a link:

If she is silver dapple (I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will confirm...or not 馃槅) I believe the color is also known as "Taffy" for a name related to her color (if she is...)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Acadianartist: Hoof boots sound like a good idea. I was wondering if she might benefit from from shoes, at least in the future when her feet are in better shape? I will look into both and see what my farrier thinks. I know he suggested putting pads on my Finn when he first was lame. Perhaps they'll make the ground feel "softer" for her?

Horsef: That's a good point. It makes sense that she would want to move around more when she isn't in pain, which could further cause damage. The Bute-Less isn't coming until Monday or Tuesday though, (the farrier comes Friday) and hopefully by then, she will be trimmed and can be put on it to start easing the pain. I know a lot of the reviews said that it takes a while for it to build up in their system but that it works great for their equine friends.

Rainsong: It makes me absolutely sick that some people can't take responsibility when their animals are in need of something. Watching her try to walk is like a stab in the heart each time. The only thing I regret is not finding her sooner. :( I agree that she looks like a Silver Dapple and the name Taffy is adorable! Felicity is a nice name but it might just be too elegant for the sweet, little goofball that she is. 馃槉

Thank you everyone! I will continue to update as she progresses and I'll let y'all know how the farrier visit goes.

Registered
Thank you for giving her a better and more caring home. She is indeed a sliver dapple. If you were to shave her she would be gray (silver) with dapples outlined in a dull black. You've already been given great feed and farrier advice. Purina also has a feed that's specifically for minis and ponies you might want to look into. You don't have to feed as much for them to get the nutrition they need.

Miniature Horse & Pony Concentrate Feed Supplement | Purina (purinamills.com)

Super Moderator
I think taffy was what they referred to the silver gene as in minis. Your little one would be silver dapple (black with silver) I'd say.

Reactions: Kalraii

Super Moderator
Please, please ask your vet first about any kind of pain therapy/inflammation reducer product you may think to use.

Minis can not and should not be offered certain things that other horses/ponies do well with.
Their metabolism and just overall guts are different from other equines...
Certain types of worm medication can near kill a mini and not referring to dosage but to chemical compound so "herbal" or not....consult first is safest.
Her feet are atrocious, but she herself is a cutie....now in good hands and care received, her life quality has just improved immensely. (y)
馃惔....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts