The Horse Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
We talked to the vet about her (we decided we would quarantine her from our other horse for a couple of weeks) but we didn't really discuss her feet. And I forgot to mention that she did, indeed, founder. Our farrier seems to be pretty good though and he informed us that she may never be completely "okay," but as long as I can ease the pain, even a little bit, I will do everything I can to do so. I've seen other farriers use X-rays for overgrown hooves like that and I will ask about it when he comes Friday. I will keep everyone updated and take more pictures of after the trimming. Thank you for the advice lovetolope and Chevaux :)
I've been dealing with a "fresh" founder this spring and the first thing that both the vet and farrier wanted was radiographs. They will tell whether there is rotation of the coffin bones and how much. They will tell whether there is bone loss at the tip of the coffin bone, which is going to say a lot about the chances for a full recovery. They will tell the farrier how much he can safely cut. I wouldn't fudge on this aspect of her recovery.

A good farrier can do amazing things. I've seen countless videos of little ones like this in apparently much worse condition galloping happily in their paddocks!

As far as trying to ease her pain, she's waited this long, two more days probably won't matter, even though I know you feel a desperate need to help her. She is safe and she can lay down for now. Bute and other drugs can potentially hurt her tummy. So take heart in what you've already done for her and probably just let her rest. Best wishes for the best possible outcome!
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top