The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,258 Posts
Oh H***, that poor poor pony, this just shoocked me when I opened this thread. She is foundered on all four, I would not be letting her eat any green grass the grass she is laying on would be a BAD ideal for her to eat on, no sweet feed a pelleted feed as low as can be in NSC as in no starch or sugar, you need feed like Triple Crown lite maybe just a cup full twice a day. Hay she needs but low in sugar. I have a mini that foundered on mesquite beans about 7 years ago, hes great now but got to be very care-full feed wise. No grass no sweet feeds no hay high in sugar for him are we will be back to being sore.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
The grass isn't actually as good as it looks in the photos. It's quite patchy and since she's in such a small area it will be gone very quickly. I will look into giving her some Triple Crown Lite as that is exactly what I feed my other horse, although I'm not sure I'll feed her anything but supplements until the grass is gone. The farrier hasn't said anything about x-rays, so I assumed he would take care of it, but we just asked him and are awaiting his response. Worse case scenario, we can post-pone the farrier visit a couple of days until we can get a vet out here, but I'd like for the farrier to come as soon as possible. We ordered Bute-Less as lovetolope suggested (thanks) since it's better for her tummy than Bute long term. It should be coming Monday.
The Bute-Less never did anything for my gelding. But there is Aspirin for horses and they do help I have my one gelding that has a old injury on Aspireze + and have used vet-one aspirin powder, theres other brands out there. I did use the bute-less a few times but just never did anything at all, then I discovered that theres Aspirin for horses,so tryed that and liked what I saw after a few days of using it and I also feed him Hemp-oil Pellets, that and the aspirin has done a world of good for him, but for your little girl one thing at a time. The aspirin I would give her just a little pinch in a hand full of feed. BUT call the Vet and see if that would be ok. I would stay away from supplements for now. The farrier will need x-rays for sure on her, her soles has dropped and the x-rays will be a big help. Its got to be the vet that does the x-rays not the farrier, but the x-rays will be a help to your farrier to read with the Vet.
Liquid Plant Fluid Ingredient Packaging and labeling
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font
Audio equipment Gadget Entertainment Font Gas

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Wow she looks so much better, I would just stay with this farrier he looks like he did a good job, hes right it's just going to take a while to get those feet feeling and looking normal, a month is about right to come back and do a little bit more to her, hes probably going to work on her heels some, I'm kinda surprised that he got that much off. When my pony founder we had to work on him ever 2 to 3 weeks to get his toes under control they kept wanting to curl up like little Elf shoes, now that its pretty much all under control he don't have to work on him but every 4 to 5 weeks, cant let him go any longer then that. My pony was not as bad as your little girl but if I would have ignore him they would have gotton bad, dealing with founder is tricky. Just make sure she stays on a Low low NSC diet.
Your such a great person to take her on and help her, big hugs for you :giggle: We need more people like you that really cares about the animals that cant care for themselves. When I see stuff like this I try my hardest to bring them home. I have a few and they all have a home for life with me.
And thank you for the update, I was really worry about how things would go for her and this is such a relief to see a good update.. :love:

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Since this little mare went threw such an extreme trim she's probably still has pretty sore hooves and tendons/ligaments so this could be why shes not wanting to back up, backing up puts pressure on the areas that would still be sore after the trim. I would give her some more time of healing and let her move around on her own so she can learn how to place her feet now since she dont have all the extra hoof to balance on, let her be a pony before you start schooling her, give her a large area to move around in when she please's. I'm sure its still a bit pain-full to try to back up now having to shift her weight onto her back hooves/hind end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts