The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Are you able to have a chat with the vet about the feet before the farrier comes? You may want to establish if she foundered or not at some point (the vet would likely suggest X-rays) - that could have an influence on the trimming strategy. You will be able to use that opportunity to also discuss pain control. It could be quite possible that her feet will may remain sore for awhile after the trim so would therefore need a pain strategy for before and after.

I’d love to see I tunes of her after the trim.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I think that’s good improvement. They do not look too bad at all in the scheme of things. Another two trims, at this rate, should put them close to normal looking.

I suspect you question on the front feet, Angel M, would indicate the feet are probably contracted. As the trimming progresses and the excess is gradually taken off the feet should start to open/widen again - hard to say to what degree without seeing pics.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Probably the easiest way to do the introduction is to lead one to the other and let them sniff over the fence for awhile. There would likely be some squeals, ears back, nips at first meeting. You’ll see when they start to accept each other. Once they are in the same field together, it may take a day or two as they sort out the rules then all should fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts