The Horse Forum banner

Overgrown Hooves

2684 51
Hi all! So we just got this mini on Monday as a rescue. She was pretty neglected and unfortunately her hooves are in bad shape. We contacted our farrier who said he could come by this Friday, however I was wondering what I could do for her until then. She is in obvious pain and lays down most of the time. (I think the guy said she hasn't been trimmed for 1-2 years, although that is a bit of a gap.) She can't really walk so she's in a small area with close access to water and shelter. I've heard of giving Tylenol or something but could someone tell me more about that? I just hate seeing her like this and wish I could just take her pain away. I've also been wondering about her coat color. 馃 The name is on the tip of my tongue but I just can't think of it. Any ideas on how to put this sweet girl out of her misery, even temporarily, is appreciated. Also any name ideas. I was thinking either something related to happiness or something related to her coat color.
Horse Sky Plant Eye Working animal
Eye Plant Horse Grass Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Jaw Mammal Grass Terrestrial animal

Thanks!
  • Love
Reactions: tsed18
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Super Moderator
Please, please ask your vet first about any kind of pain therapy/inflammation reducer product you may think to use.

Minis can not and should not be offered certain things that other horses/ponies do well with.
Their metabolism and just overall guts are different from other equines...
Certain types of worm medication can near kill a mini and not referring to dosage but to chemical compound so "herbal" or not....consult first is safest.
Her feet are atrocious, but she herself is a cutie....now in good hands and care received, her life quality has just improved immensely. (y)
馃惔....

Super Moderator
If she was mine I would not want all that length chopped off and gone in one fell swoop honestly.
To me she needs time to adjust to not being on skiis so her legs can adjust and her balance fine-tune again when she moves.
To much removed to fast and a world of hurt would be one of the things I would anticipate and a few other more complications to rear their ugly existence first.
Just my "uneducated" thought but drastic changes do not make for comfort...smaller & more often done will cost a bit more but give the mini a chance for best recovery...
And yes, she would be getting hoof xrays since you said founder occurred then the farrier needs to know how much and how bad it was and what he in his professional capacity can do to alleviate, help further the recovery positive.;)
馃惔....

Super Moderator
Before you force the animal make sure the resistance to reverse is not from pain in the hooves and the angles of the feet not being correct. Those legs may just not be capable of going backward without trepidation to the animal.
Your animal still needs a lot of hoof correction done and as that is done how those hooves get placed on the ground will change making it easier to move in all directions.

I would encourage you to get those xrays done so you know, your farrier can see where and how the coffin bone has remodeled with facts so their trimming is most beneficial.
Yes, this may be able to be changed over time, not in 1 - 2 trims, but over a year as bone remodeling takes time to accomplish. And, depending upon what remodeling has occurred, sometimes nothing helps...:cautious:

A good farrier is only as good as the resources he has to work from...in this case those xrays would give him facts seen of what he has inside he is guessing about...
馃惔.... jmo...

Super Moderator
Sorry, the farriers attitude doesn't sit well with me.... :cautious:
You getting xrays can either concrete the farrier knows what he is doing and talking about or show him for what he is...good or bad.
Xrays are a tool for learning from, making maybe become fact.
It does not hurt the horse to have a baseline of what her hooves look like inside as she progresses in being rehabbed.

Honestly, I would get those xrays done first before pushing the animal to hard or far not knowing if there are negative happening or not.
The animal could be playing you a fool, or she could be being a saint in doing what makes her sore but she is a doer and tryer... Till I knew for sure which she is...she gets the benefit of doubt and gentle work, not pushed.

I know a lot of people swear by rope halters.....only if you know what you are doing with it and only if you know how to tie the knot, to adjust the straps properly on the face and where it must sit on the top of the head, where head and neck structure meet...
Does it make a difference? It sure does but many not do the research to understand exactly what that rope should do and can do... It is the handler of that rope who makes it the tool of instruction or not...
Rope halters are also different than a rope halter with knots across the noseband.... and if that is what you are referring to, then you need to really understand how and where those knots need placed...
You are applying pressure to face bones, nasal structures and poll. In reality the top of the skull and top of the cervical bones...you must know what you are doing, please...research first for the animals benefit.
If you leave halters on your animals, this is not the halter to do that with either...

The choices are yours to make.... the outcome of the animals future is in your hands and yours to mold right now too.
馃惔.... jmo...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts