The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Please, please ask your vet first about any kind of pain therapy/inflammation reducer product you may think to use.

Minis can not and should not be offered certain things that other horses/ponies do well with.
Their metabolism and just overall guts are different from other equines...
Certain types of worm medication can near kill a mini and not referring to dosage but to chemical compound so "herbal" or not....consult first is safest.
Her feet are atrocious, but she herself is a cutie....now in good hands and care received, her life quality has just improved immensely. (y)
馃惔....
Yes, before giving her anything I will always consult the vet. I just dewormed her with Ivermectin. Internally she looks good from what I can see. She's not coughing or sneezing or wheezing. Her eyes, nose, and teeth look good, although I'll need the farrier to double check. I might bring some feces into the vet's office to confirm that she's dewormed. It's absolutely amazing that there's not much else wrong with her, especially considering the conditions she was in before. Such a strong baby 馃槶. I expect that her feet will be in quite some pain, going from walking on her heels to walking some-what normally. I'll try to restrict her mobility some more after the first trimming and maybe hand walk her to check progress. Again, thank you everybody for taking the time to give me your advice and ideas. Will continue to update 馃憤

Super Moderator
If she was mine I would not want all that length chopped off and gone in one fell swoop honestly.
To me she needs time to adjust to not being on skiis so her legs can adjust and her balance fine-tune again when she moves.
To much removed to fast and a world of hurt would be one of the things I would anticipate and a few other more complications to rear their ugly existence first.
Just my "uneducated" thought but drastic changes do not make for comfort...smaller & more often done will cost a bit more but give the mini a chance for best recovery...
And yes, she would be getting hoof xrays since you said founder occurred then the farrier needs to know how much and how bad it was and what he in his professional capacity can do to alleviate, help further the recovery positive.;)
馃惔....

Registered
Yes, update please!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yep! He was here this morning. (Had a crazy day, sorry I couldn't post earlier) He cut off quite a big chunk and said he'd be back in about a month to shape it better. He also said she should be significantly better this evening and tomorrow and that if she's not more active by Monday or Tuesday to let him know. All this is contrary to what you all have told me which worries me that he doesn't actually know what he's doing... We called in a new farrier who's coming tomorrow to check on her and Finn. Anyways, here are the pics of her! 馃榿 She did an amazing job picking up her feet and she was an absolute angel the whole time! What a sweet heart.

Before
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_2292.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG

After
IMG_2337.JPG
IMG_2339.JPG

I apologize for the microwave quality pictures. Honestly please let me know if this is a good job or if I should just go with the new farrier. Thank you all for all your help, you have no idea how much y'all have helped! I really take all your comments to heart. 鉂

Attachments

Registered
Horse loving mama
Wow she looks so much better, I would just stay with this farrier he looks like he did a good job, hes right it's just going to take a while to get those feet feeling and looking normal, a month is about right to come back and do a little bit more to her, hes probably going to work on her heels some, I'm kinda surprised that he got that much off. When my pony founder we had to work on him ever 2 to 3 weeks to get his toes under control they kept wanting to curl up like little Elf shoes, now that its pretty much all under control he don't have to work on him but every 4 to 5 weeks, cant let him go any longer then that. My pony was not as bad as your little girl but if I would have ignore him they would have gotton bad, dealing with founder is tricky. Just make sure she stays on a Low low NSC diet.
Your such a great person to take her on and help her, big hugs for you :giggle: We need more people like you that really cares about the animals that cant care for themselves. When I see stuff like this I try my hardest to bring them home. I have a few and they all have a home for life with me.
And thank you for the update, I was really worry about how things would go for her and this is such a relief to see a good update.. :love:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you for all the support! 馃槉I'm not sure how selfless this act is though because it's mending my heart too! I do have a question about the bottom of the hooves, and I may take a picture if I can tomorrow. On her two front hooves, there is no defined hoof wall, nor is there a visible frog. I figured it was from not being trimmed, however her back hooves have a frog with indentations on the sides before the hoof wall, like a normal foot. Will her front feet regain defined hoof parts after being trimmed for a while? Maybe once the old hoof is grown out? It's hard to explain exactly but I will post pictures as soon as possible. I'm glad to hear that our farrier is doing a good job, he was very encouraging and patient with her and I could tell he really cared about a safe and fast recovery for her. More updates soon :)

Registered
It鈥檚 maddening to see her feet, and sad she can鈥檛 stand up! I agree with the point about not giving pain meds as she could do herself some harm walking on those hoods so lying is probably the best thing. Hope you can get the X-rays done without delaying the farrier. You鈥檙e a good soul to take her on!

Registered
Oops my last response was before I read all the posts. She looks so much better. If your horse is up and walking and seems happy I鈥檇 say your farrier did a great job! Always good to have second opinion/more eyes on as she was in such rough shape.

Registered
I think that鈥檚 good improvement. They do not look too bad at all in the scheme of things. Another two trims, at this rate, should put them close to normal looking.

I suspect you question on the front feet, Angel M, would indicate the feet are probably contracted. As the trimming progresses and the excess is gradually taken off the feet should start to open/widen again - hard to say to what degree without seeing pics.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update: She is much happier and is moving around more easily and more often! I braided her hair today to keep it off her neck and she sat wonderfully for me to groom her.

Eye Plant Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal
Plant Working animal Wildebeest Fawn Liver
Hair Horse Eye Plant Working animal

Don't worry about all that brush in the background ;) I let her into the woods to get out of the heat and she won't touch it. It's mostly leaves which she doesn't like, no grass for her to munch on. I am beginning to see some more "indentation" (I guess you could say) in her front hooves and I was able to pick them just barely today.

Front hoof:
Hand Plant Botany Artifact Grass

Back hoof:
Hand Plant Eye Sculpture Terrestrial plant

I plan on uniting her with Finn in about a week when her quarantine is over (although I don't see any signs of sickness and she's been dewormed). Her and Finn whinny and neigh at each other from opposite sides of the driveway and I can tell they're just dying to meet. Could anyone tell me what the safest way to introduce them would be? I don't want them to get overly excited and/or aggressive with each other and end up hurting one another. (I'm more concerned with them being overly excited, not aggressive lol but anything can happen really.) I'll try to upload videos of their introduction 馃槉. I ended up not putting her on the Bute-Less just because she seems to be doing so well on her own, but if the soreness worsens, I may consider giving her something. Let me know what y'all think!

Registered
Probably the easiest way to do the introduction is to lead one to the other and let them sniff over the fence for awhile. There would likely be some squeals, ears back, nips at first meeting. You鈥檒l see when they start to accept each other. Once they are in the same field together, it may take a day or two as they sort out the rules then all should fine.

Super Moderator
The bone is at the top closest to the coronet band. It doesn't change position as far as location though it may change direction or orientation a bit. Just like those women with nails feet long. Not inches but feet. If you know the basic structure then you can get pretty close without compromising the integrity of the hoof. Once they are slippered like that then care once you get to what they are actually walking on because of tendons would be a concern.

Registered
Horse loving mama
So happy for this little girl, you did a good job with getting her help, and she looks great :love: How is she doing today :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
She's doing great! Trying to get away from and cope with the heat. All her braids came out 馃槀 I think I need better ties. So we'll probably spend the evening redoing them. I don't want her to get hotter with that thick hair laying on her neck. I gave her a bath yesterday, just water (mostly wanted to cool her down) however she didn't seem to enjoy it. She's always in the rain so I figured she'd be used to it. How could I desensitize her better to the water? She seemed skittish.

Does anyone have any idea on when I could begin doing some lunging/ground work with her? Probably not for several months, if not a year before I feel comfortable working her with those feet, unless she miraculously decides to not be sore. This sweet girl definitely has some sass! And I figured it might be a good idea to start some ground manners.

I am incredibly happy about how everything worked out and all the support you all have given! Thanks again.

Registered
I have 6 wild children. 1 appy, 1 paint, 1 thoroughbred, 1 mustang, and 2 foundation quarter horses
I think you have some great suggestions on relief for the little girl.
As far as color, she is a silver dapple or a sooty buckskin. If she was a full sized, they often go by sooty or chocolate buckskin. Ponies and gypsies tend to be the only ones the term silver dapple is used on. I am not sure why since it's the ZZ color gene on all of them. She is precious and the pictures look like she knows she is about to feel a whole lot better with you. Good luck with her.
Like everyone else, I would love to see updates on her once her feet are done and she is moving around.

Premium Member
Such a cutie! Yes, you should perhaps start working a little on manners, but I wouldn't do much groundwork until those feet are closer to normal since she may be sore. When she is comfortable, you could start taking her on walks. Lots of transitions, asking her to stay beside you, not rushing forward or pulling away, halting, even some backing.

An introduction over a shared fence line is always a good idea. Or having one inside a stall and the other come up to it and smell them. That way, there is a barrier between them. You could also put some temporary fencing inside a field so they are closer, but still not able to be in together. Once they stop reacting much to each other, let them be together, making sure they are in a big open space and that one can't corner another. They will likely adapt quickly and become great friends! Would love to see that if you manage to get a video!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Update:
We did it! Finally, after waiting for two whole weeks we united Finn and... The Mini... we still need a name lol. There was a bit of nipping and some squealing but all went well, and in the end, no one got hurt. After much sniffing, Finn took her on a tour along the pasture fence, grazing as they went along. She didn't take too well to the cow, as she kicked the cow several times in the face... Oh well. Lucy shouldn't have been up her back side anyways. She wasn't hurt at all, but we did move her to another pasture to prevent any squabbles. Her and Finn haven't left each other's sides and they both will wait patiently as I groom each of them. I have noticed that her biting habit has grown worse, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Of course whenever she does it I give her a good bop on the nose, but like I said, it's not getting any better. She still seems to be sore and she walks very stiffly. I know she only got trimmed a week and three days ago, but how much longer until she at least walks normally? Anyways here are the photos I managed to get 馃槉.

Dog breed Working animal Horse Collar Liver
Horse Vertebrate Working animal Horse tack Liver
Hair Horse Vertebrate Plant Working animal
Horse Vertebrate Working animal Liver Horse tack
Horse Working animal Plant Liver Grass

21 - 40 of 52 Posts