The Horse Forum banner

overreacting?

550 7
Hi y’all! :)
As you all know I had found a new trainer for my horse, and that’s going great!! ..but I found a separate trainer for me personally.
I really wanted to start competing and training again!
I was going to go with a top trainer in my area, we know him really well and he’a still competing at top levels, but then I was invited to another top barn in the area that my friend was going to, she spoke really highly of this trainer too. I decided to do one lesson with her just to see how she trains, and she was really good, really encouraging, and has trained some of the best warmbloods in the area, so I assumed she really knew her stuff.
the environment was really chill, and everyone was SO nice, lots of random people at the barn came up to me and complimented me on my ride.. which was really nice.
I decided to go ahead and do a few more lessons with her, with the plan to probably switch over to the other barn.
But I was about to head out for my lesson, when a bad thunderstorm popped up, so i cancelled.
But some of the others (that I met and became friends with..) went. The trainer had covid and didn’t tell anyone, everyone that had gone to the barn that day got really sick!! :(
Last week, I was about to head out to my lesson again, when my trainer texted and said the whole barn came down with equine influenza.
She and the other owner of the barn went to a show (it was hours away) with only around 2-3 horses (pretty sure it was a 2-3 day show) and they picked it up there, by the time that got back to the barn, those horses got sick, showed symptoms, yet did not quarantine them.. then they whole barn got sick.
She just texted me again about coming for lesson this week, and I politely said no. (She said some still have fevers, cough, vet tested and positive for influenza, vet did NOT say to continue lessons, though she is) Am I over reacting?
I feel like someone should be a lot more responsible. Me personally, I would not want to spread the equine influenza around, or covid!